World Cup - Russia gets 2018 Qatar gets 2022

Satans Hockey

From Wikipedia:

Qatar has an emirate-type government.[9] Its legal system combines Islamic and civil law codes in a discretionary system of law controlled by the Amir. Although civil codes are being implemented, Islamic law dominates family and personal matters. The country has not accepted compulsory International Court of Justice jurisdiction.[9]

Qatar must be by area the smallest host ever selected, right?

I suppose that they can't keep coming to the US again and again, while neglecting the little guy. That would be like never putting the Devils in the Winter Classic, while instead going with the Penguins over and over. Oh, wait. . .

It will be a good opportunity for them to put themselves on the map. I doubt more than 10% of Americans could point to the country on a map (it's the small peninsula sticking into the middle of the Persian Gulf). It's a country that is quickly modernizing, but as Eagle pointed out, they operate under a legal system with backwards elements that won't make a lot of sense to many of the Western tourists who come to watch the games.

Edit: Still, you can't argue with $78,000 in GDP per Capita. That's pretty sweet.

Edited by Devils Dose

Qatar is a great country to pick

Its actually ridiculous. You think the players are going to enjoy playing in that heat? Almost every game will have to be played at night. They have to build 12 international stadiums for the thing too. The one good thing is a. they have the money and b. the plan is to dismantle the stadiums after the Cup and give them to countries to promote the game more.

Theres also the whole being in the middle of the Middle East thing.

Qatar also isn't really known for the their human/women rights stances, but then again the Olympics were just in China.

I wanted the US to get it for obvious reasons, but I feel for England who deserve it probably more than anyone. Literally the birthplace of the modern game and not held there since the sixties.

Uruguay 1930 was probably smallest country selected -- but that was a different era

ha...corruption indeed.. this is blatters doing just like south africa was a reward for keeping him in power .. what a disgrace that england gets snobbed for blowing the whistle on corruption.

this guy needs to be retired soon ..

I really had high hopes that we (the Dutch + Belgium) would get WC 2018, but like eaglejelly said, this has corruption written all over it. If I try real hard, I can almost understand the choice for Russia, but Qatar??? Come on! That makes bribery so damn obvious.

And from what I understand, the US stands an awesome chance to get the 2026 World Cup now since no country in Europe, nor Asia, or even Australia will be allowed to bid.

So we only have to beat out Africa (does anybody have the money?), Brazil (nobody else in SA has shown the financial resolve to host for decades), Mexico, and Canada. Piece of cake right?

Of course the rules could always change, again.

Edited by Devils Dose

Qatar is a great country to pick

Not if you're talking about playing in potentially 130 degree heat (they claim they're going to have outdoor stadiums that are air-conditioned, this I'd like to see) :P

Plus it's not going to be a success financially, their entire country has about half the population just of what the US drew in attendance for the '94 World Cup.

It was clearly political, Russia's still a big country and had never hosted the tournament for obvious reasons and giving it to the Middle East is another attempted nod at progress just like South Africa and the Asian countries were.

You can always put the tournament in the US and make more money than you would anywhere else, but I have no issue with giving it to other countries to help expand the game. I'm just not sure with Qatar they made the right choice from a pure health standpoint for the players and fans. It certainly isn't the right choice revenue-wise, but FIFA doesn't give a crap cause they're getting their money under the table for 2022 lol.

Edited by NJDevs4978

And from what I understand, the US stands an awesome chance to get the 2026 World Cup now since no country in Europe, nor Asia, or even Australia will be allowed to bid.

So we only have to beat out Africa (does anybody have the money?), Brazil (nobody else in SA has shown the financial resolve to host for decades), Mexico, and Canada. Piece of cake right?

Of course the rules could always change, again.

Brazil is hosting in 2014 so you could scratch them off the list.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=851045&sec=global&cc=5901

Here is an official pleading for the games in Qatar to be moved to the winter because of the heat. What a f**king joke. You are going to tell me that they actually thought hard about this decision and overlooked something like this?

I love soccer but FIFA is so corrupt it's not even funny. Canada will probably get the damn thing before we do.

They're going to be hosting a pretty big football tourney in 2012, so I'm not exactly going to be weeping for their lost cause.

Didnt stop them from giving the thing to Russia after they (technically Ukraine/Poland) have the Euro in 2012. While yes, the Olympics are a bigger tournament, its still years away.

Are you serious?

Meant region wise, was a bad argument :lol: .

I just don't think the Olympics in 2012 bear any significance on England not receiving the 2022 World Cup. It didnt stop the IOC from giving Atlanta the Summer Games after having received the World Cup. Brazil is also hosting the World Cup and Olympics within two years of each other.

Edited by ghdi