Jagr?

SS#4-Life

does anyone really think that age should have anything to do with renting jagr for the stretch run and playoffs. i would have no interest in resigning him. i'm sure that would go into the trade (conditional pick). make it urbom/conditional 3rd if he resigns with the devils.

i like the idea of playoff game 1:

henrique-loktionov-kovalchuk

elias-zajac-jagr

ponikarovski-zubrus-clarkson

d'agostini-carter-bernier

and it's insurance if kovy doesn't come back.

• Like 1

does anyone really think that age should have anything to do with renting jagr for the stretch run and playoffs. i would have no interest in resigning him. i'm sure that would go into the trade (conditional pick). make it urbom/conditional 3rd if he resigns with the devils.

i like the idea of playoff game 1:

henrique-loktionov-kovalchuk

elias-zajac-jagr

ponikarovski-zubrus-clarkson

d'agostini-carter-bernier

and it's insurance if kovy doesn't come back.

I agree. If the guy is coming in as a rental and he's still productive then nobody should be concerned with age.

Young? He's 31.

A 31 year old player has realistically at the least 3 years and at the very most 6.

That's not bad. I mean if you consider Mason Raymond to be a "top six forward" then I'd consider him. He's 26 but he's more of a depth 3rd liner to me (like D'agostini is)

Edited by TheMazz

The Devils don't have the assets for Jagr.  The Stars would want a 1st round pick, which NJ can't afford.  They've got plenty of young D there (morrow, oleksiak, larsen, dillon).  

Well, if they had taken the Russian C and the 2 from the Bruins... oh well.

Jagr really shouldn't be worth a 1 but then again Murray shouldn't have been worth two twos.

The Devils don't have the assets for Jagr.  The Stars would want a 1st round pick, which NJ can't afford.  They've got plenty of young D there (morrow, oleksiak, larsen, dillon).  

The guy is 41. In what world is he worth a 1st rounder? If the Stars want a 1st for him then Dallas can keep him.

The guy is 41. In what world is he worth a 1st rounder? If the Stars want a 1st for him then Dallas can keep him.

If Douglas Murray went for two 2s (albeit a conditional one), Morrow for a recent first rounder and a pick...hell, last year it was first rounders for everything. Gaustad for a first!

Well, if they had taken the Russian C and the 2 from the Bruins... oh well.

Jagr really shouldn't be worth a 1 but then again Murray shouldn't have been worth two twos.

Jagr is worth a 1 because, like Gaustad and the Sabres last year, the Stars are still in the race.  They're going to need to be bowled over with an offer to give up a key player.

Edited by Triumph

slightly off-topic...with his next assist Jagr will have 1000 career assists. Quite an accomplishment. In fact it will be at least 5 more seasons before anyone else (Thornton) has even a chance of reaching this milestone, if they even can.

Had Jagr stayed in the NHL those 3 seasons, he would have been near the Top 5 Assists of all time & Top 3 Point scorers.

So that's why he will still command a premium for a playoff run, even at age 41.

Edited by BlueSkirt

personally unless it's a no brainer trade for a young promising player that would help us in the future. i'd stay away from anything putting a doubt in our mind.

I don't think it's worth it to risk giving up any assets or picks for a guy that will either retire next season or sign somewhere else, may not bring anything or even if he does we could still miss the playoffs or get knocked off in the first round even with him.

Our future on offence is really not looking that great so if anything i'd try to get assets as much as possible, anything to get rid of bad  / overpaid contracts to make room to resign all our player and maybe sign a decent forward during the summer, also room to slowly insert our young dmen in the team. By the look of it we're still like years away before we have room for any of them.

might be hard to get first rounders but if we could get extra 2nd round picks in that deep draft it could be golden

edit; plus with everyone healthy we have a pretty good group anyway.

Edited by SterioDesign

slightly off-topic...with his next assist Jagr will have 1000 career assists. Quite an accomplishment. In fact it will be at least 5 more seasons before anyone else (Thornton) has even a chance of reaching this milestone, if they even can.

Had Jagr stayed in the NHL those 3 seasons, he would have been near the Top 5 Assists of all time & Top 3 Point scorers.

So that's why he will still command a premium for a playoff run, even at age 41.

There's a pretty strong case for Jagr being the greatest winger of all time.  Seems like he could play another 2-3 years too, if he wanted to.

What if Gordie didn't play 6 full WHA seasons? He'd be looking at what? 920 goals, 1230 assists (and this is being conservative)

he'd still be ahead of Gretzky in goals

What if Mike Bossy didn't have a fvcked up back that finished him off in his 30 year old year?

Gretzky may have broke his record.   Or maybe he wouldn't have.   7 years averaging 50 per would have gotten him to 923.   And he would have just beaten the dead puck era.

What if Mike Bossy didn't have a fvcked up back that finished him off in his 30 year old year?

Gretzky may have broke his record. Or maybe he wouldn't have. 7 years averaging 50 per would have gotten him to 923. And he would have just beaten the dead puck era.

Good one. I feel like Mike Bossy is often a forgotten man when it comes to great scorers. Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Like 1

Bossy averaged 59.4 goals per season in a nine-year period, and was a career 21.2% shooter.  I know it was a different era and a different game, but in a word...DAMN! 

Those Cup-winning Islanders were really something else...in that 4-Cup burst (back then it took 15 wins to take the Cup, as the first round was only best-of-five), they went 60-19, only losing between 3 and 6 games total in each playoff season.  Once again...DAMN! 

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't think he would score that many, but if he had a full career he definitely would have been over 800.   He was very consistent, and that's what you need to compile.

I thought Ovechkin could make a run (if he stayed healthy, which is a massive "if" given his style), but the last couple of years have really hurt him.   Still he could get to 400 next season in his 28 year old season.

Wow, I just added the side point about the all-time records as an indicator of how high he is on the list.

I too agree that 'if' is the most over-used word in sports. The records are what they are.

Still in the next few days Jagr will become only the 12th player ever to get 1000 assists.

Bossy averaged 59.4 goals per season in a nine-year period, and was a career 21.2% shooter.  I know it was a different era and a different game, but in a word...DAMN! 

Those Cup-winning Islanders were really something else...in that 4-Cup burst (back then it took 15 wins to take the Cup, as the first round was only best-of-five), they went 60-19, only losing between 3 and 6 games total in each playoff season.  Once again...DAMN! 

Bossy was the man, and he really does seem forgotten these days.