Are we about to become big time rivals with the Isles?

Jerzey

The Islanders are now a pretty solid team as we all know. Still a lot to prove next season but they're only getting better.

They're moving much closer to us in an area which is full of hipsters.

A lot of the Isles fans on HF have been getting pretty cocky lately too.

Most Devils fans would agree that we have had a somewhat mutual respect with the Isles and their fan base over the past 25 years or so because they've been pretty irrelevant and our shared hatred for the Rags and Flyers.

I think that's about to change. I think with the Isles getting better things would have heated up anyway but with them being so close to the Rock now it's going to be even hotter. We're also adding Columbus, Washington, and Carolina to our division but I think our newest rivalry will be with the Isles.

Should be fun times for everyone.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

The Islanders will miss the playoffs this year and go back to being the Islanders. So no.

The Islanders may miss the playoffs this year - Nabokov is awful - but they are not going back to being the Islanders any time soon. 

That said, the rivalry will only begin if the Devils and Islanders meet in the playoffs or possibly if they are in a close playoff race with one another in multiple years.

• Like 1

I think the rivalry will heat up a bit.. Ratner and Co. aren't bringing them in to still be strictly Long Island's team.. They will slowly become a Brooklyn/NYC team and if they see success on the ice it could stick..

So it will be a lot of back and forth arena invading, which always causes some level of hatred amongst fans (we already have done a solid 2k - 5k in their building the last few years) and I can also see the NHL trying to "build" the rivalry to help increase hockey enthusiasm in the area

But yeah, their fans on HF are becoming ridiculous and I have no problem putting them in their place

Edited by Colin226

I don't see it really. I guess I'm projecting, but I kind of like the Isles. When they play the Devils, they're like any other team.

Rivalries for me anyway are more about the other team's fans. I can never see myself hating Isles fans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I don't see it really. I guess I'm projecting, but I kind of like the Isles. When they play the Devils, they're like any other team. Rivalries for me anyway are more about the other team's fans. I can never see myself hating Isles fans. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Well one thing I have learned on this board and many others is that you can hate another team's fans in a second. All it takes is for the Isles to be very good and start selling getting 15-16K a night. Then maybe one post from an Isles fan or one encounter with an Isles fan where they trash the Devils. Then comes the reply back about at all "these Isles bandwagoners coming up out of nowhere now that they are good, and ten months ago I couldn't find an Isles fan in all of NY or at a Devils game.. I could go to their arena and have a section to myself. Annoying fvcking bandwagoners. I wish them and their team the worst."

Edited by devilsrule33

Well one thing I have learned on this board and many others is that you can hate another team's fans in a second. All it takes is for the Isles to be very good and start selling getting 15-16K a night. Then maybe one post from an Isles fan or one encounter with an Isles fan where they trash the Devils. Then comes the reply back about at all "these Isles bandwagoners coming up out of nowhere now that they are good, and ten months ago I couldn't find an Isles fan in all of NY or at a Devils game.. I could go to their arena and have a section to myself. Annoying fvcking bandwagoners. I wish them and their team the worst."

It's possible, but Islanders fans and Devils fans have a common enemy:  Rangers fans.  And it's not in the same way that Ottawa and Toronto fans might hate Montreal fans, or Islanders and Rangers fans might hate Flyers fans.  It's a deep shared loathing that will never diminish.

That's not to say the teams on the ice won't become rivals, or that some fans might end up disliking each other, but it won't come close to other hatreds.

Edited by Triumph

Isles fans have it worse with Ranger fans. The Devils have actually wrestled NJ away from the Rangers, even though Ranger fans like to repeat the mantra that they fill the Rock, it's really at worst 75-25 Devils fans nowadays, with most games 80-20 or more. Islander fans on the other hand still have that 50-50 split, and central and eastern LI is probably as much Rags as it is Isles

I think once we start invading their arena they will take offense and things bw the two clubs will heat up.

We need to start by filling up the Barclays with red for the preseason game.

I think the biggest rivalry that will evolve from the new system is Carolina. Yeah, it's already a rivalry of sorts, but the nasty playoff battles added with the new divisional acquaintances... fvck the canes.

It's funny cuz canes fans consider us a big rival. I don't think devil fans even think about the canes.

I don't think Isle fans look at us like they do Rangers or Flyers for that matter.  No we don't have mutual animosity IMO. That arrogance (Ranger/Flyer) doesn't exist w/ Isles/Pens, just a mutual respect.

Islander fans are very cocky when they are competitive. When it comes to intensity, they make your fans look tame by comparison. Don't take that the wrong way. I'm merely speaking in terms of our rivalry with the Islanders. Isles/Rangers is much bigger and now that they're back, it will supersede the Hudson rivalry. The Islander fan has been waiting a long time for a team they could go out and support. So, excuse me if I think devilrule's bandwagon reference was in poor taste. Most sports fans have become wagon types. When their team is good, they show up. When they stink, they're nowhere to be found.

I have never understood why they weren't a rival of the Devils. Hasan has already alluded to the annoyance of Islander fans at your arena. It's the Islanders that have the best player in the metro area. As Tavares gets better, so too will they. Wait till Strome is part of their roster along with a slew of solid D prospects. They already are the toughest of the three teams. All that's missing is a legit No.1 goalie. In an 82-game season inside an even tougher division and conference, the Isles will be hard pressed to repeat last year. Just don't expect them to be the laughingstock ever again. You'll have plenty of reason to despise them.

Islander fans are very cocky when they are competitive. When it comes to intensity, they make your fans look tame by comparison. Don't take that the wrong way. I'm merely speaking in terms of our rivalry with the Islanders. Isles/Rangers is much bigger and now that they're back, it will supersede the Hudson rivalry. The Islander fan has been waiting a long time for a team they could go out and support. So, excuse me if I think devilrule's bandwagon reference was in poor taste. Most sports fans have become wagon types. When their team is good, they show up. When they stink, they're nowhere to be found.

Speaking from experience, that has a lot to do with money. I like 5 sports. I can't afford Giants tix (though maybe on stubhub, if I'm lucky), but that still leaves me 4 teams I would like to watch live. If I'm gonna spend money on a game, I'm more likely to go when the team is good. I also try to save up for a couple of playoff games some seasons.

I have never understood why they weren't a rival of the Devils. Hasan has already alluded to the annoyance of Islander fans at your arena. It's the Islanders that have the best player in the metro area. As Tavares gets better, so too will they. Wait till Strome is part of their roster along with a slew of solid D prospects. They already are the toughest of the three teams. All that's missing is a legit No.1 goalie. In an 82-game season inside an even tougher division and conference, the Isles will be hard pressed to repeat last year. Just don't expect them to be the laughingstock ever again. You'll have plenty of reason to despise them.

The Islanders fan base hasn't disappeared, but I don't think it's grown all that much.  And sure, anyone over 40 is going to say that Islanders-Rangers is the real rivalry (much as Flyer fans of that age or older think their rivalry is with the Islanders too), but the Devils and Rangers have met 4 times in the playoffs since the Islanders and Rangers last played in the post-season against one another.

You completely missed my point. I was just making fun of the average sports fan who trashes the Penguins, Blackhawks, Bruins, Capitals or Kings fan for being bandwagoners. I don't blame any fan for not going to a game when your team sucks. It's not fun to pay a lot of money to see your team lose night after night. And I also think it is great that those teams are selling out every game of the season now. That's all that matters. As for the Isles, I always said I am shocked the Isles could even draw 7000 fans when the team sucked all those years. That is damn impressive. Pretty sure any team in the league say for the Leafs and Habs would have close to the same attendance, if they were as bad as the Isles have been over the last 30 years. 

The Islanders make the playoffs for the first time in 6 years in a 48-game season and they're 'back'. I love it. Its cute.

They have a ton of young talent, a bunch of fans who have been waiting a long time for a team worth watching, and are moving from the worst (and least convenient) arena in the NHL to a brand new building in a transportation hub. That's a perfect storm.

They have a ton of young talent, a bunch of fans who have been waiting a long time for a team worth watching, and are moving from the worst (and least convenient) arena in the NHL to a brand new building in a transportation hub. That's a perfect storm.

1. They've had young talent forever and have done nothing with it. 2. They don't have a bunch of fans. 3. They are moving into a horrible hockey venue far from the few fans they do have. Perfect storm my ass. Guarantee you if they didn't make playoffs last year no one would be saying anything close to this. (Not taking a shot at you Mouse, just more on the topic)

Edited by devlman

Speaking from experience, that has a lot to do with money. I like 5 sports. I can't afford Giants tix (though maybe on stubhub, if I'm lucky), but that still leaves me 4 teams I would like to watch live. If I'm gonna spend money on a game, I'm more likely to go when the team is good. I also try to save up for a couple of playoff games some seasons.

Absolutely. For the prices Wang charges, it's no wonder they haven't drawn. He raised ticket prices following the lockout. If I remember correctly, the Isles' SMG arena deal was an albatross. I don't think they get any revenue from concessions. Now that Ratner beat out MSG (good), he's planning to fix up the Coliseum and wants the Islanders to stay through 2015. AHL Bridgeport is expected to move there. Assuming that happens, the Isles will have their farm team playing in their old barn if they still move to Brooklyn.

The Islanders fan base hasn't disappeared, but I don't think it's grown all that much.  And sure, anyone over 40 is going to say that Islanders-Rangers is the real rivalry (much as Flyer fans of that age or older think their rivalry is with the Islanders too), but the Devils and Rangers have met 4 times in the playoffs since the Islanders and Rangers last played in the post-season against one another.

True. They were just in hiding waiting for a competitive team. Having played four series since '94, it helped boost the Hudson rivalry immensely. Especially in the stands. If you count that weird 7-game series in '92, that's half a dozen over two decades. Not coincidentally, the teams have split including the Conference Finals. I think for the older fan, it's different. The Islanders are that family member you can't stand. The Devils are more like a sibling you compete with. Me and my brother used to have classic battles playing NHL '94. The intensity was classic. When he was the Rangers and I was the Sabres (seriously), we were enemies. You guys have the "Rangers suck" chant. We got our favorite "Mar---ty." It's good fun. When Brodeur no longer plays in these games, it's going to be a sad day. I'll miss him.

You completely missed my point. I was just making fun of the average sports fan who trashes the Penguins, Blackhawks, Bruins, Capitals or Kings fan for being bandwagoners. I don't blame any fan for not going to a game when your team sucks. It's not fun to pay a lot of money to see your team lose night after night. And I also think it is great that those teams are selling out every game of the season now. That's all that matters. As for the Isles, I always said I am shocked the Isles could even draw 7000 fans when the team sucked all those years. That is damn impressive. Pretty sure any team in the league say for the Leafs and Habs would have close to the same attendance, if they were as bad as the Isles have been over the last 30 years. 

My bad. Of the teams you mentioned, the Pens and Caps are the ones who make my blood boil. Pittsburgh because a good chunk of their fans still give Jagr crap. I'll bet half weren't even around when he and Lemieux won those Cups. Jagr is one of the greatest Pens ever. But because of how it ended, they turned on him. They really couldn't afford him anyway. I feel like they're spoiled. The NHL saved that franchise twice. Crosby wouldn't be a Pen and they'd probably be in Kansas City. As for the Cap fan, something about them irks me. Maybe it's because the Rangers have played them quite a bit. I've always hated them since the classic Patrick days. John Druce and Dale Hunter. As for teams that still draw regardless of their standing, hockey is religion in Montreal and Toronto. Say what you will about Philadelphia but their fans still support them. If you dig a little further, Detroit struggles despite their streak. A lot of it has to do with the economy. Fans can't afford it. I actually feel sorry for the people who live there.

The Islanders make the playoffs for the first time in 6 years in a 48-game season and they're 'back'. I love it. Its cute.

Moulson-Tavares-Bouchard

Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo

Grabner-Nelson-Clutterbuck

Martin-Cizikas-McDonald

Lee

MacDonald-Hamonic

Visnovsky-Strait

Hickey-Donovan

Carkner

Nabokov

Poulin

They have a good offense. Adding Clutterbuck makes them even tougher. Martin finishes every check and McDonald has proven capable. They brought in Bouchard to replace Boyes. That'll be interesting because PMB's production leveled off in Minny. He'll likely start with Tavares. Strome is probably a year away. The Islanders are banking on Donovan or de Haan to make the blueline. The top pair of MacDonald/Hamonic are their shutdown tandem. Visnovsky will need to replace Streit's production on the power play. They probably don't have enough D stability and goaltending. But they'll be hard to play against.

1. They've had young talent forever and have done nothing with it. 2. They don't have a bunch of fans. 3. They are moving into a horrible hockey venue far from the few fans they do have. Perfect storm my ass. Guarantee you if they didn't make playoffs last year no one would be saying anything close to this. (Not taking a shot at you Mouse, just more on the topic)

Made the playoffs with one of the worst goalies in hockey last year. If they add a replacement level goalie, I see them in the top 4 in the east (know that's meaningless with new divisions, but for comparison's sake). IMHO last year wasn't a fluke (like Toronto, and maybe even Ottawa, though Karlsen's a beast, and if he's healthy, that team is much more dangerous), but the beginning of a run.

Barclays may not be designed for hockey, but it's a very solid venue. While it's not in central LI, it's off LIRR and near bars. That's a big advantage. Also, much as the mausoleum was centrally located, the roads blew, and there was always traffic. IMO moving to Brooklyn makes them convenient for new fans/fans who live in the city (and in Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island, there are some) without making them noticeably less convenient for the old fans.

Edited by mouse

I don't know man, Flyers fans HATE the Devils, I mean really hate them. And a lot of that is directly attributable to Scott Stevens :) I've never seen a Flyers fan go red over the Isles, but I could get season tickets if I had a buck for every time I've seen a Flyers fan go off on the Devils.

You are dead on about isles fans though, all the Islanders fans I knew in 1980 are still Islanders fans, except for me. When they let go of Tonelli I let go of them. I would have done the same to the Yanks when they traded Leiter for Barfield but Messy Jesse kicked much behind (not to go too far off topic).

Edited by jim777