Devils sign Bobby Butler

thelastonealive

I liked him when he first arrived at Ottawa, and then things went downhill for him from there. Hopefully he's still got that potential that he showed early on. Not a world beater signing, but definitely something we needed, even if he ends up in the AHL.

Awesome! You never know when you can strike gold with depth players. Carter and Bernier were huge last year. Really hoping Butler turns out well.

2 seasons ago, this depth guy scored 10 goals in less than 40 games with Ottawa. Let's hope DeBoer and our system can bring the best out of him. 2-way contract means we probably also got him for pretty cheap.

I like this signing. Excellent replacement for Poni not so much in terms of size, but in filling in on the third line. Butler's only 25, too and has some room to grow. He had a good start to his NHL career two years ago.

Edited by devlman

Meh I don't care for this at all. The Devils don't need a 2-way contract. That's like signing a minor leaguer with limited potential. They need someone with more impact than that. If Butler is going to fill that spot on the 3rd line, then I'm scared. This signing does nothing to help the Devils this year unless this guy has the season of his life. The Devils don't need players in the AHL...

Edited by TheMazz

Meh I don't care for this at all. The Devils don't need a 2-way contract. That's like signing a minor leaguer with limited potential. They need someone with more impact than that. If Butler is going to fill that spot on the 3rd line, then I'm scared. This signing does nothing to help the Devils this year unless this guy has the season of his life. The Devils don't need players in the AHL...

He certainly has 3rd line potential

Recent Career

Year Team GP G A Pts +/- PIM Hits BkS PPG PPA SHG SHA GW SOG Pct  

2009-10 OTT 2 0 0 0 -1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 .000  

2010-11 OTT 36 10 11 21 -16 10 28 15 1 4 0 0 3 73 .137  

2011-12 OTT 56 6 10 16 8 12 34 13 0 0 0 0 4 86 .070  

Career Totals (Full) 94 16 21 37 -9 22 63 28 1 4 0 0 7 161 .099  

He certainly has 3rd line potential

Recent Career

Year Team GP G A Pts +/- PIM Hits BkS PPG PPA SHG SHA GW SOG Pct  

2009-10 OTT 2 0 0 0 -1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 .000  

2010-11 OTT 36 10 11 21 -16 10 28 15 1 4 0 0 3 73 .137  

2011-12 OTT 56 6 10 16 8 12 34 13 0 0 0 0 4 86 .070  

Career Totals (Full) 94 16 21 37 -9 22 63 28 1 4 0 0 7 161 .099  

But again, he fell off after a good start in Ottawa. No real consistency.

Edited by TheMazz

The 2-way contract part of it gives us nice flexibility. There's no way of knowing what numbers he's going to get or not get, but as far as risk and reward go, not much risk with this signing and the potential for reward is there. If it's not, off to the AHL... Good signing. Nothing to really complain about unless it were a 5-year $5 million contract haha..

Don't forget, Lou has a pretty good record as far as undrafted unhyped signings around the age of 25 years old go

B )

But again, he fell off after a good start in Ottawa. No real consistency.

Considering the ONE-WAY, TWO YEAR deal we just made with Krys Barch, I'll take this signing any day of the week if there's the potential that DeBoer or his linemates can get some goals out of him. If all he had was penalty minutes to his name, I'd be agreeing with you, but the possibility for 15-20-25 goals is there. We shall see!

The 2-way contract part of it gives us nice flexibility. There's no way of knowing what numbers he's going to get or not get, but as far as risk and reward go, not much risk with this signing and the potential for reward is there. If it's not, off to the AHL... Good signing. Nothing to really complain about unless it were a 5-year $5 million contract haha..

Don't forget, Lou has a pretty good record as far as undrafted unhyped signings around the age of 25 years old go

B )

Right but at some point the track record argument doesn't produce. Hell, you can start to see it with Belichick in New England. The Devils need more of an impact player if they want to be significant players again this season. Right now, they're not.

I'm really digging this signing. He has a TON of potential - he was banged up last year and never really fit in with Ottawa. Check out his puck control in this highlight reel:

Highlight reels are nice and cute for the players and fans, but how responsible is he in his own end?

Edited by TheMazz

Highlight reels are nice and cute for the players and fans, but how responsible is he in his own end?

Obviously. That's the dig against him, but I'm confident our coaching staff can change that. Also, a one-year two-way deal has no risk involved.

Obviously. That's the dig against him, but I'm confident our coaching staff can change that. Also, a one-year two-way deal has no risk involved.

Judging by a few of those highlights, however he seems to like to be a poacher. Or in other words he's more concerned about his goal line than his team's Win line. I hope your right about our coaching staff changing this guy around. The only positive about this seems to be that this is a cheap-o signing.

Edited by TheMazz

Still haven't seen this confirmed by anyone reputable, but it's August. Whatever the case, assuming this is true, it's an excellent, low-risk signing of the sort that the Devils don't do enough. Butler's not a 'proven' NHLer, but who cares, neither are half our forwards right now. If they move Kovalchuk back to LW (something I'm not sure they will do), I could see Butler as a decent RW for him.