Let's Give Elias His Due Tonight

devilsrule33

Elias appreciated the fans chanting his name after the game when he was named one of the three stars and did an on-ice interview with MSG Network’s Deb Placey.

“That’s great,” Elias said. “They showed their appreciation and I was trying to my best job out there and the fans recognize that. So, it feels good. It always does.”

Something as simple as a few thousand fans chanting his name at the end of game can mean so much to a player. Shame Patty hasn't gotten more love throughout the years. Don't believe this is it. 

See all this had the opposite effect on me, it made me more paranoid this was it and he was leaving.  I don't know why...maybe in some bizarro way the crowd reaction would tell him 'okay, your legacy's secure here, you can move on'.  PK would probably be able to put it better than me lol

I don't see it. Guys move on this late in their career because

1. They have never won a championship and want to chase a title

2. The team is rebuilding and wants to get younger (usually the player gets dealt before the deadline)

3. The team sucks and the player, who is still good, wants to play for a better team

4. The team knows the player is finished, but the player wants to keep playing 

I really don't see Elias going anywhere else or really wanting to play somewhere else. 

See all this had the opposite effect on me, it made me more paranoid this was it and he was leaving.  I don't know why...maybe in some bizarro way the crowd reaction would tell him 'okay, your legacy's secure here, you can move on'.  PK would probably be able to put it better than me lol

...damn you, damn you to hell.  Now I can go back to being anxious and uneasy :lol:

C'mon.

If you are a true Devils fan, this guy is like Marty. You love him and want him to be a top priority in FA. He is still producing.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I'll say 2 years 9 million like Marty.

We've all taken this guy for granted at some point, but he is still playing so well at his age. He is sooooooooooooooooooooooo hockey smart its ridiculous.

Edited by oconnellrules

I don't see it. Guys move on this late in their career because

1. They have never won a championship and want to chase a title

2. The team is rebuilding and wants to get younger (usually the player gets dealt before the deadline)

3. The team sucks and the player, who is still good, wants to play for a better team

4. The team knows the player is finished, but the player wants to keep playing 

I really don't see Elias going anywhere else or really wanting to play somewhere else. 

Well three would definitely be a fear :P  But another way of putting my feeling is that maybe he sees after tonight it really isn't going to get any 'better' for him here than being serenaded off the ice after all he accomplished, that it only goes downhill from here especially with the team itself trending downward and him perhaps hitting some Marty-like years where the fans say **** your past accomplishments, you suck now (even if you don't suck, you're being judged against your own high standard).

Edited by NJDevs4978

Well three would definitely be a fear :P  But another way of putting my feeling is that maybe he sees after tonight it really isn't going to get any 'better' for him here than being serenaded off the ice after all he accomplished, that it only goes downhill from here especially with the team itself trending downward and him perhaps hitting some Marty-like years where the fans say **** your past accomplishments, you suck now (even if you don't suck, you're being judged against your own high standard).

And though it's starting to become even more a lovefest for the fans towards Patrik (understandably so), I don't think it's always been fun for him since he signed his 7-year deal.  I think there's definitely been times when he's been frustrated and questioned his decision.  If he decides that another team gives him a better chance to win (and there is definitely uncertainty with the Devils, so I can understand why he might doubt the Devils representing his best chance), it wouldn't surprise me that much if he left.  I'm pretty much mentally prepared for him staying OR leaving.  There's valid reasons for either decision.   

And though it's starting to become even more a lovefest for the fans towards Patrik (understandably so), I don't think it's always been fun for him since he signed his 7-year deal.  I think there's definitely been times when he's been frustrated and questioned his decision.  If he decides that another team gives him a better chance to win (and there is definitely uncertainty with the Devils, so I can understand why he might doubt the Devils representing his best chance), it wouldn't surprise me that much if he left.  I'm pretty much mentally prepared for him staying OR leaving.  There's valid reasons for either decision.   

It certainly hasn't, but I think he realized the good outweighed the bad. His captaincy season was a tough transition, and like I mentioned in the original post, the Sutter situation was pretty ugly. But it has been talked about for two years that everything inside the locker room has been great. The players really get along (I find it weird how much this has been talked about over the past 2 seasons, but I guess it shows that even though the team has been successful in the past, it never  meant all the guys really were buddies or tight) and he loves the coach. He even said that he had a fun year and was happier this year than a Cup winning year (I'm pretty sure he was talking about the 2003 year where it wasn't his best season or playoff run).

I just don't see him moving on. In a perfect world, Elias re-signs for 3 years and 13 million. I doubt it happens, but I think a fair breakdown of that deal for Elias would be:

2014: $5.75 million

2015: $4.25 million

2016: $3 million

Edited by devilsrule33

It certainly hasn't, but I think he realized the good outweighed the bad. His captaincy season was a tough transition, and like I mentioned in the original post, the Sutter situation was pretty ugly. But it has been talked about for two years that everything inside the locker room has been great. The players really get along (I find it weird how much this has been talked about over the past 2 seasons, but I guess it shows that even though the team has been successful in the past, it never  meant all the guys really were buddies or tight) and he loves the coach. He even said that he had a fun year and was happier this year than a Cup winning year (I'm pretty sure he was talking about the 2003 year where it wasn't his best season or playoff run).

I just don't see him moving on. In a perfect world, Elias re-signs for 3 years and 13 million. I doubt it happens, but I think a fair breakdown of that deal for Elias would be:

2014: $5.75 million

2015: $4.25 million

2016: $3 million

I hope your right DR33.

I would be crushed if Patty left.   But I could see him wanted to play for a competitive team moving forward.    I would DIE if he went to Minnesota.

I don't mean this in a creepy/stalkerish way (and please noone post specifics if you happen to know) but does he have a family in NJ?

I mean, at this point his family wouldn't up and move with him should he change locations, and I bet playing away from his family for 2-3 years isn't something he wants to do.

Edited by Devilsfan118

I don't mean this in a creepy/stalkerish way (and please noone post specifics if you happen to know) but does he have a family in NJ?

I mean, at this point his family wouldn't up and move with him should he change locations, and I bet playing away from his family for 2-3 years isn't something he wants to do.

Valid point.  From what I have read he loves NYC, which is great for us.

I have always like Elias, I was there when he come onto the ice as a Devil. I expected him to retire as a NJ Devil. His number to be raised to the rafters. He has hockey smarts and I expected to see him as a coach for the Devils and remain in the organization.

That said he has family here, that might help keep him.

However as disappointed as I will be, I wouldn't be surprised if he left for the money. He will be offered more money from other team than Lou will offer him. Maybe potential coaching benefits will keep him.

He is my MVP for this season.

I hope your right DR33.

I would be crushed if Patty left.   But I could see him wanted to play for a competitive team moving forward.    I would DIE if he went to Minnesota.

But you shoudn't be...like I've said, we got Elias' best and we saw him get to four Finals, two of which his team won.  He doesn't have unfinished business here.  He may decide he'd like to win one last Cup, and there could be a stacked team that decides it could use veteran insurance, a guy like Elias who is still capable of significant contributions, and who knows...if Elias decides he really wants that one last shot that he may not get here, he may even be willing to take a discount to play for such a team.  I can't blame him one bit if that's the route he wants to take.  And it won't cheapen his Devils career one bit.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

But you shoudn't be...like I've said, we got Elias' best and we saw him get to four Finals, two of which his team won.  He doesn't have unfinished business here.  He may decide he'd like to win one last Cup, and there could be a stacked team that decides it could use veteran insurance, a guy like Elias who is still capable of significant contributions, and who knows...if Elias decides he really wants that one last shot that he may not get here, he may even be willing to take a discount to play for such a team.  I can't blame him one bit if that's the route he wants to take.  And it won't cheapen his Devils career one bit.   

I want his career to be 100% Devil, for selfish and legacy purposes.    

I would not blame him if he leaves, but I would be heartbroken personally. 

He is the greatest Devil forward EVER. I can't see anyone ever coming close to his accomplishments in helping make this franchise a perenial championship caliber.   Playing a strong defensive game, sacrificing individual points, yet always being in the top three in team scoring regardless of who he plays with.    #26 should be the first and only forward # to be retired.

• Like 1

He is the greatest Devil forward EVER. I can't see anyone ever coming close to his accomplishments in helping make this franchise a perenial championship caliber. Playing a strong defensive game, sacrificing individual points, yet always being in the top three in team scoring regardless of who he plays with. #26 should be the first and only forward # to be retired.

Yes. YES

He is the greatest Devil forward EVER. I can't see anyone ever coming close to his accomplishments in helping make this franchise a perenial championship caliber.   Playing a strong defensive game, sacrificing individual points, yet always being in the top three in team scoring regardless of who he plays with.    #26 should be the first and only forward # to be retired.

Agreed