Big Oil after Big Red?

ZeroGravityFat

If anyone wanted to move this team now they would have to buyout the City lease, the Arena lease, and the TV Deal correct? Which is hundreds of millions of dollars, thats after buying the team and the debt.

This is exactly what I'm wondering. Everyone is always saying "Don't worry, don't worry.. there's no way the Devils are moving." It does make sense that the buyer would have to pay a large amount of money to move the team, but what EXACTLY would have to be bought out? Because when I hear an oil tycoon is buying the team I'm not so sure if my reaction should be "Oh, great!" or "Oh,Sh*t."

Allow me to post a short list of my thoughts while reading the article and the comments here:

1. When did the guy from KoRn become a Los Angeles-based hockey writer?

2. Is the potential new owner gonna smash watermelons with an oversized mallet during intermissions? Or maybe as a throwing-the-jelly type diatribe?

3. This strikes me as a guy who wants it known he'll buy if Vanderbeek sells (meaning can't pay off the debt). A vulture, but a rich vulture.

4. Obviously the Devils are going nowhere, because of the arena/TV deal/etc. Plus, where would they go that makes sense with this potential owner?

5. When I read "rich oil tycoon," I think:

rich-texan.jpg

If he is anything like this...hell, I'd be for the sale, because it would be amusing as hell.

• Like 1

the only thing i am hesitant about is the filthy rich owner saying buy everything in sight like the rags. i hope he is smart enough to let Lou do his thing.

If we get a new owner, nothing is certain with Lou. That's the one thing the sale to JVB gave us. A new owner may clean house and change things up completely. Lou may not even want to start over with a new guy.

Allow me to post a short list of my thoughts while reading the article and the comments here:

1. When did the guy from KoRn become a Los Angeles-based hockey writer?

2. Is the potential new owner gonna smash watermelons with an oversized mallet during intermissions? Or maybe as a throwing-the-jelly type diatribe?

3. This strikes me as a guy who wants it known he'll buy if Vanderbeek sells (meaning can't pay off the debt). A vulture, but a rich vulture.

4. Obviously the Devils are going nowhere, because of the arena/TV deal/etc. Plus, where would they go that makes sense with this potential owner?

5. When I read "rich oil tycoon," I think:

rich-texan.jpg

If he is anything like this...hell, I'd be for the sale, because it would be amusing as hell.

I mean seeing how the guy is from Canada, there is one city that automatically pops to mind.

This is exactly what I'm wondering. Everyone is always saying "Don't worry, don't worry.. there's no way the Devils are moving." It does make sense that the buyer would have to pay a large amount of money to move the team, but what EXACTLY would have to be bought out? Because when I hear an oil tycoon is buying the team I'm not so sure if my reaction should be "Oh, great!" or "Oh,Sh*t."

The Stars' deep-pocketed new owner from Canada didn't move the team or has plans to. Just because he's rich doesn't mean he's gonna move a team or wants to. Furthermore no one on here and elsewhere has provided a good enough reason as to why the Devils should move.

If we get a new owner, nothing is certain with Lou. That's the one thing the sale to JVB gave us. A new owner may clean house and change things up completely. Lou may not even want to start over with a new guy.

Lou is arguably the most important asset the team has. If you're a hockey fan with a lot of money that's buying the Devils, you're buying Lou. Even someone with an outsized ego like Mark Cuban would realize that.

Lou is arguably the most important asset the team has. If you're a hockey fan with a lot of money that's buying the Devils, you're buying Lou. Even someone with an outsized ego like Mark Cuban would realize that.

I dont disagree with you, but its not a given whatsoever that a new owner keeps Lou as GM nor does it mean Lou even decides to stay and no one can guarantee that at all.

If an outsider comes and buys this team, he could easily shake it up from top to bottom, including severing ties with Lou as GM.

The Stars' deep-pocketed new owner from Canada didn't move the team or has plans to. Just because he's rich doesn't mean he's gonna move a team or wants to. Furthermore no one on here and elsewhere has provided a good enough reason as to why the Devils should move.

I would never say never on that. Our attendance is lousy and you can't run a business on a deficit forever.

We don't exactly know what kind of clauses are in the arena, television and other contracts. Smart lawyers and negotiating could possibly free the owner to move the team without taking a total bath in penalties. The guaranteed attendance, merchandising and tv contract of a team based in Hamilton or Quebec would pay off in the long term.

How great of a source is 4th period? Where else was this brought up and confirmed Gallacher might very well be a legit player in this mess...but I just don't think it'll get that far to him because JVB is fighting like hell to keep the team.

Edited by TheMazz

I would never say never on that. Our attendance is lousy and you can't run a business on a deficit forever.

We don't exactly know what kind of clauses are in the arena, television and other contracts. Smart lawyers and negotiating could possibly free the owner to move the team without taking a total bath in penalties. The guaranteed attendance, merchandising and tv contract of a team based in Hamilton or Quebec would pay off in the long term.

The business doesn't run a deficit. The debt has nothing to do with operations. As for Quebec, Winnipeg made a big show at the end of the season that they wouldn't need revenue sharing. So this is the expectation level for that level of market, that they'd be in the bottom 15 and anything else is gravy.

The business doesn't run a deficit. The debt has nothing to do with operations. As for Quebec, Winnipeg made a big show at the end of the season that they wouldn't need revenue sharing. So this is the expectation level for that level of market, that they'd be in the bottom 15 and anything else is gravy.

Exactly, many people do not understand that the Devils make money every year but not enough to pay off the loans in time.

I mean seeing how the guy is from Canada, there is one city that automatically pops to mind.

I'm not sure I buy it. Saying a guy from Calgary is gonna buy the Devils and move them to Quebec because he's Canadian is like saying a guy from Boston is gonna buy the Devils and move them to Albuquerque because he's American. Maybe he has ties there, maybe he wouldn't care where he put the team, but if he's not buying a team to move it back to his hometown (which he obviously isn't), why move it at all?

(Again, all of this is hypothetical anyway, the Devils aren't moving anywhere for the numerous reasons stated throughout this thread.)

I'm not sure I buy it. Saying a guy from Calgary is gonna buy the Devils and move them to Quebec because he's Canadian is like saying a guy from Boston is gonna buy the Devils and move them to Albuquerque because he's American. Maybe he has ties there, maybe he wouldn't care where he put the team, but if he's not buying a team to move it back to his hometown (which he obviously isn't), why move it at all?

(Again, all of this is hypothetical anyway, the Devils aren't moving anywhere for the numerous reasons stated throughout this thread.)

So you're saying we shouldn't jump to the most radical assumption based solely on the man's nationality? Huh. Thank God the guy isn't Mexican, or someone would be suggesting that Kovalchuk's halfway to being El Capitan for the Tijuana Diablos

• Like 2

So you're saying we shouldn't jump to the most radical assumption based solely on the man's nationality? Huh. Thank God the guy isn't Mexican, or someone would be suggesting that Kovalchuk's halfway to being El Capitan for the Tijuana Diablos

I think you guys are over-reacting here. I'm simply stating that the guy is from Canada. It's no secret that hockey is #1 there and that it draws a larger market. Chill.

Interesting to see the one commenter claim that Vanderbeek is one of the worst NHL owners of all time.

I know it's common practice for fans to hate on the execs, owners, and so on... but we've all loved JVB for YEARS around here. Without anyone here including myself being able to say 100% that this is all his fault... do we start turning on him? I'm not sure. The biggest impact he's had on this team so far (according to the common fan) is he pushed for the Kovalchuk signing. Many were skeptical at first... but it's hard to find someone that doesn't like Kovy right now given the guy's defensive revelation, heart and soul, talent, and dedication he has for this time... plus his contract is no biggie compared to the BS thrown to Richards, Parise, Weber, and Suter.

So what can we be mad at him for? Seems like the trouble is coming from the city of Newark not wanting to honor the current agreement and the minority owner group giving JVB a hard time. It just looks like Jeff's being a typical prideful business man and doesn't want to take it up the ass from the city and the other owners.

• Like 1

Interesting to see the one commenter claim that Vanderbeek is one of the worst NHL owners of all time.

I know it's common practice for fans to hate on the execs, owners, and so on... but we've all loved JVB for YEARS around here. Without anyone here including myself being able to say 100% that this is all his fault... do we start turning on him? I'm not sure. The biggest impact he's had on this team so far (according to the common fan) is he pushed for the Kovalchuk signing. Many were skeptical at first... but it's hard to find someone that doesn't like Kovy right now given the guy's defensive revelation, heart and soul, talent, and dedication he has for this time... plus his contract is no biggie compared to the BS thrown to Richards, Parise, Weber, and Suter.

So what can we be mad at him for? Seems like the trouble is coming from the city of Newark not wanting to honor the current agreement and the minority owner group giving JVB a hard time. It just looks like Jeff's being a typical prideful business man and doesn't want to take it up the ass from the city and the other owners.

I haven't exactly turned on him. But if he doesn't have the $ to run the team towards the high end of the cap, I want someone who can.