Brain Tumor Survivor Teen Assaulted At Sharks Game

Quinn01

Found this disgusting on many levels. I had to bring it to all of your attention.

Maggie Herger, 16, wore her Vancouver Canucks shirt to Wednesday's game against the San Jose Sharks, four years after being treated for a brain tumor. The San Jose Mercury News reports the native of Canada was heckled throughout the game by Bay Area fans before she was finally hit in the head by an older woman.

It's unknown whether the contact was intended, but Herger told the Mercury News things got even worse: As she was being loaded by paramedics into an ambulance, another Sharks fan spotted her Canucks jersey and shouted at her to "Suck it up."

"Arena staff, along with San Jose police, interviewed the person who made contact with the injured fan, who stated that the contact was accidental during the celebration of a Sharks goal. Upon being interviewed, others seated in the area of the incident did not report seeing the contact between the parties involved."

As San Jose fans cheered after a second period goal, the woman seated behind the sisters jumped up and brought both her hands down on the back of Maggie's head, leaving her dazed and in some pain.

On Thursday, the 16-year-old's neck and head were still hurting. She was stuck in bed, woozy and on pain medication, according to the Mercury News.

The Post Game.com

Shes a pretty girl also. Its a shame that people have to act like that. I understand heckling other teams fans but to physically come in contact with the person? Unacceptable.

Not sure what to make of this article as it is a he-said, she-said sort of ordeal. The fact the fan that supposedly hit her and not either thrown out or arrested makes me think that perhaps it was an accident and even the article and the girl acknowledges it was a pretty isolated incident and not like she was victim of an attack by a group of fans near her.

Either way I do wish her a speedy recovery.

It's unfortunate, but overblown. When I read the headline this morning, I conjured images of Sharks fans pelting a girl with a head banadage, etc... Instead, it could have read once a new-born child assaulted! It sounds like one of those opps, did my arm hit you (while 100% knowing you did it on purpose) things, that went too far.

It's poor taste for another to say "suck it up"... but it's also poor taste to make it seem like SJ fans are assaulting brain tumored fans... when even the 'assault' is allegedly 'accidental'.

I would appreciate it if fans could just be fans and not try to ruin the experience of opposing fans though.

It's unfortunate, but overblown. When I read the headline this morning, I conjured images of Sharks fans pelting a girl with a head banadage, etc... Instead, it could have read once a new-born child assaulted! It sounds like one of those opps, did my arm hit you (while 100% knowing you did it on purpose) things, that went too far.

It's poor taste for another to say "suck it up"... but it's also poor taste to make it seem like SJ fans are assaulting brain tumored fans... when even the 'assault' is allegedly 'accidental'.

I would appreciate it if fans could just be fans and not try to ruin the experience of opposing fans though.

Exactly and the article is written in a very weird way too. The first half it sounds like she was assaulted by a mob of Sharks fans, and then the second half it sounds like someone accidently bumped into her and somehow causing her to have a minor concussion.

Found this disgusting on many levels. I had to bring it to all of your attention.

The Post Game.com

Shes a pretty girl also. Its a shame that people have to act like that. I understand heckling other teams fans but to physically come in contact with the person? Unacceptable.

Wow Sharks fans? Who would have thought. See that's something fans in the tri-state area probably wouldn't do because everyone on this side of the country seems to be up to speed and isn't a complete lunatic. Sure people are a$$holes in NJ and NY but we have common sense to not hit a fvcking girl at a hockey game. People in California are fvcking retarded. This pisses me off so bad. If I ever saw this going down at a Devils game I wouldn't think twice to knock out someone who was rooting for my team. It's only a game. These people are going around not just messing with girls but a 16 year old? Are you kidding me? She's a fvcking minor. :rant: I can't comprehend that.

This pisses me off so bad. If I ever saw this going down at a Devils game I wouldn't think twice to knock out someone who was rooting for my team. It's only a game. These people are going around not just messing with girls but a 16 year old? Are you kidding me? She's a fvcking minor. :rant: I can't comprehend that.

As San Jose fans cheered after a second period goal, the woman seated behind the sisters jumped up and brought both her hands down on the back of Maggie's head, leaving her dazed and in some pain.

When are you jumping in to intervene? Or are you saying you're going to pre-emptively escalate the situatioin by knocking out hecklers? Which is far worse than this "accidental" hit.

Edited by aylbert

Obviously we don't know the facts, but I've been at games where our fans acted like a$$holes and damn near threw punches and never got thrown out or even yelled at. Security guards at games seem to side with the home team to a fault at far too many places, as any number of stories on this board have proved. It wouldn't shock me at all if someone attacked this girl and got away with it. As I said, we don't know the facts, and I don't want to jump to conclusions, but no matter what, it draws attention to what is a real problem at arenas IMO.

Wow Sharks fans? Who would have thought. See that's something fans in the tri-state area probably wouldn't do because everyone on this side of the country seems to be up to speed and isn't a complete lunatic. Sure people are a$$holes in NJ and NY but we have common sense to not hit a fvcking girl at a hockey game. People in California are fvcking retarded. This pisses me off so bad. If I ever saw this going down at a Devils game I wouldn't think twice to knock out someone who was rooting for my team. It's only a game. These people are going around not just messing with girls but a 16 year old? Are you kidding me? She's a fvcking minor. :rant: I can't comprehend that.

I go to a lot of Sharks games with my friends who are Sharks STH's and I've always found the Sharks fans to be friendly and cordial to fans of other teams, even those in the Western Conference.. Also, when the Devils play at the Shark Tank, I've never had any problems wearing all my Devils gear and people around me would ask about the team (and if I'm from NJ). There's always going to be one or two morons in any group, but ScoreMore, don't disparage a whole state of hockey fans because of the actions of a few (which may have been an accident anyway).

Not sure what to make of this article as it is a he-said, she-said sort of ordeal. The fact the fan that supposedly hit her and not either thrown out or arrested makes me think that perhaps it was an accident and even the article and the girl acknowledges it was a pretty isolated incident and not like she was victim of an attack by a group of fans near her.

Either way I do wish her a speedy recovery.

+1

Yea, this is EXACTLY what I was saying.

When are you jumping in to intervene? Or are you saying you're going to pre-emptively escalate the situatioin by knocking out hecklers? Which is far worse than this "accidental" hit.

Well neither of us were there. I was just saying if I saw someone doing that to a girl, who was 16, I would absolutely do something about it. She was there to watch a game, not be placed in an ambulance at the end of the day with people telling her to 'suck it up.'

I go to a lot of Sharks games with my friends who are Sharks STH's and I've always found the Sharks fans to be friendly and cordial to fans of other teams, even those in the Western Conference.. Also, when the Devils play at the Shark Tank, I've never had any problems wearing all my Devils gear and people around me would ask about the team (and if I'm from NJ). There's always going to be one or two morons in any group, but ScoreMore, don't disparage a whole state of hockey fans because of the actions of a few (which may have been an accident anyway).

I hear yea. I obviously don't think everyone in California is bad. That was stupid to say. I have friends in San Diego who are a lot nicer than most people but the story just pissed me off.

Its hard to think that someone can bring both of their hands down hard enough to knock a 16 year old girl out of her seat on accident. I hope its true that this was an accident.

+1

We've all be to hockey games I'm sure. The seats aren't that close where you would land on someone if you were jumping up and down. Spill a beer on them yea, hit them in the head with your fists, no.

Edited by ScoreMoreThan3

This is bad because, I mean, it's one thing to heckle people, but a 16 year old girl? Seriously, that's a bit much. I get that it's all in good fun to yell at opposing team's fans, but usually people won't heckle women or children, especially attractive women at that, but the article did seem a bit overblown. Who could honestly have known she previously had a brain tumor? No one, so what's the point of making a big deal out of it when it seemingly was an accident that she was hit?

lol

Yea, that was a good reply.

Some goof of a Sharks fan threw a dead duck onto the ice in the third period of the Sharks vs Ducks game the other day, too. Bad Sharks fans stories are becoming an epidemic all of a sudden!