Vanderbeek comments-Jersey Tour

trailblazer

I really like the direction Vanderbeek is taking this franchise.

Two comments that stick out to me:

One fan query involved the Devils' chances of hosting an All-Star Game or participating in a Winter Classic. Said Vanderbeek: “We will absolutely get both.”

The completion of the Marriott would help pave the way for an All-Star Weekend at Prudential Center, which Vanderbeek said the Devils have been promised. As for the Winter Classic: “It’s just a matter of time. The Winter Classic will be in the Tri-State area, and it will not be in the Tri-State area without the Devils participating.”

Edited by trailblazer

I really like the direction Vanderbeek is taking this franchise.

Two comments that stick out to me:

One fan query involved the Devils' chances of hosting an All-Star Game or participating in a Winter Classic. Said Vanderbeek: “We will absolutely get both.”

The completion of the Marriott would help pave the way for an All-Star Weekend at Prudential Center, which Vanderbeek said the Devils have been promised. As for the Winter Classic: “It’s just a matter of time. The Winter Classic will be in the Tri-State area, and it will not be in the Tri-State area without the Devils participating.”

an all-star game would be great to have in nj. nj should be seriously considered especially since we will be hosting a super bowl

The all star game? great! the winter classic? we'll only get it if we play the ranjerks or (maybe) philly, especially if Bettman gets his way. He'll be pissed when he loses the Kovy war and will be looking for payback

It's not like NBC and the sponsors have any say in who plays in the outdoor classic right? It's always about the black helicopters, while ignoring that the Devils just don't have the national draw of the Rags or Flyers.

I admire his ambition, but:

There is no way NBC agrees to have a non-media market team like the Devils in the Winter Classic, nor would they schedule a game that appeals only to the NY market.

More likely it will be Rangers vs Boston, Philly, Chicago, Detroit, Minny, or even LA.

Manta,

I think what you would see is two games on the day one East Coast and one west coast. I could defintely see a Devils vs. Rangers or Philly. Personally I think they could go lots of different ways with it, just a matter of what draw they think they could get for both TV and in the stands.

Devils vs. Rangers at Yankee Stadium. It's only a matter of time.

And I'm kinda hoping the All-Star Game is held off on until Triangle Park gets done.

They have to wait for that hotel to be done, too. I can see the Devils getting an All-Star game, but I'm thinking it won't be for another 4-5 years. I mean hell, we haven't had one in 26 years. We are due.

2008 WC - 2.6/5

2009 WC - 2.9/6 (4.4M avg viewers)

2010 WC - 2.6/?

The Devils and Rangers have a legitimate rivalry (see 2009 WC).

No reason, especially if Avery and Brodeur are still playing, that we can't be in it.

Devils-Rangers

New Jersey v New York

Brodeur v Lundqvist

Brodeur v Avery

Kovalchuk v Avery

Kovalchuk v Gaborik

Zach Parise

5 playoff series worth of history the last 20 years

If Kovy's contract is upheld, NBC almost has to have the Devils in the WC before Brodeur retires. Especially if Kovy kicks his game up a notch and seriously challenges for the league's scoring title. If NBC can't market a Devils team with Brodeur, Elias, Parise, and Kovalchuk for the freakin' Winter Classic, they need to get out of the sports business forever.

They have to wait for that hotel to be done, too. I can see the Devils getting an All-Star game, but I'm thinking it won't be for another 4-5 years. I mean hell, we haven't had one in 26 years. We are due.

For some reason, I was under the impression the hotel was already under construction. :doh1: Yeah, the hotel is the most important thing.

2008 WC - 2.6/5

2010 WC - 2.6/?

No reason, especially if Avery and Brodeur are still playing, that we can't be in it.

Devils-Rangers

New Jersey v New York

Brodeur v Lundqvist

Brodeur v Avery

Kovalchuk v Avery

Kovalchuk v Gaborik

Zach Parise

Why did you have to remind us?

2008 WC - 2.6/5

2010 WC - 2.6/?

Devils-Rangers

New Jersey v New York

Brodeur v Lundqvist

Brodeur v Avery

Kovalchuk v Avery

Kovalchuk v Gaborik

Zach Parise

I can't wait for the NBC Promos full of Matteau goals.

If Kovy's contract is upheld, NBC almost has to have the Devils in the WC before Brodeur retires. Especially if Kovy kicks his game up a notch and seriously challenges for the league's scoring title. If NBC can't market a Devils team with Brodeur, Elias, Parise, and Kovalchuk for the freakin' Winter Classic, they need to get out of the sports business forever.

Kovy is insignificant and makes no difference. Brodeur is a bigger draw, but the fact remains New Jersey is NOT a media market, you will see Buffalo in another WC before you see the Devils or the Sharks for that matter. Its a media market/ratings decision.

Buffalo v X

is a greater TV draw than

Devils v Rangers?

You have a KNOWN quantity here.

Pittsburgh v Buffalo was a crapshoot and people put it up there as one of the most memorable post-lockout moments BECAUSE IT WAS SNOWING.

the game was boring...hell 2 out of the 3 were awful hockey games.

if Devils v Rangers WC couldnt surpass a 2.6, neither should be on NBC ever.

Edited by njdevsfn95

Buffalo v X

Devils v Rangers?

Pittsburgh v Buffalo was a crapshoot and people put it up there as one of the most memorable post-lockout moments BECAUSE IT WAS SNOWING.

Even in the NY Metro area Devils/Rangers is not even a top sports story. Its a know quantity to a small audience.

NBC is not going to risk damaging the WC franchise to a non-media market team like NJ-Anaheim-San Jose.

They will try to draw from the greatest potential pool of sports viewers

Buffalo v X

Devils v Rangers?

Even in the NY Metro area Devils/Rangers is not even a top sports story. Its a know quantity to a small audience.

NBC is not going to risk damaging the WC franchise to a non-media market team like NJ-Anaheim-San Jose.

How many more years do you guys think he has left? two, maybe three? I honestly seriously doubt the Devils will be in a WC while Marty is still playing. We all know NBC doesn't think muchof the Devils as eveident to a few years back when they switched Devils/Sharks (when both teams were 1st place teams) in favor for Philly/Rags. That was the day I started to drink the "NHL hates the Devils" kool aid.

Mike

You contradict yourself when there is the greatest pool of viewers in the largest media market in the United States.

I'm well aware that Devils/Rangers is not a top sports story. But the Winter Classic is an EVENT and that brings an entirely different meaning to the game

Top Media Markets

Rank TV Households

1 New York, NY 7,493,530

9 Washington, DC (Hagerstown, MD) 2,335,040

23 Pittsburgh, PA 1,154,950

4 Philadelphia, PA 2,955,190

7 Boston, MA (Manchester, NH) 2,410,180

3 Chicago, IL 3,501,010

11 Detroit, MI 1,890,220

23 Pittsburgh, PA 1,154,950

52 Buffalo, NY 633,220

Funny. The greatest potential viewership when comparing media markets involved in the WC, a NJD v NYR would have the largest potential pool FROM THE TEAMS INVOLVED.

I understand your point, but come on now.

Top Media Markets

Funny. The greatest potential viewership when comparing media markets involved in the WC, a NJD v NYR would have the largest potential pool FROM THE TEAMS INVOLVED.

I understand your point, but come on now.

Your correct on the surface, but digging deeper:

New Jersey is not a media market, its only about 60% NY and 40% Philly. In addition, its not really a hockey market in terms of media coverage. Devils vs Rangers takes a back seat even in the New York market behind Giants, Jets, Knicks in terms of coverage in the Winter.

I would love for the Devils to be in the WC, but from a business standpoint of the league and NBC is just isn't going to happen.

It will be the Rangers and another major market team,

As much as I want to see it happen, the only way I can ever envision us in a Winter Classic anytime soon is either:

a) We're defending Cup champions and Marty has made it clear that it's his final season (retirement tour, basically)

or b) NHL/NBC decide to milk this cash cow completely dry and do multiple games in one day.

Even then, we're talking a three-team market, all of whom will want to be involved, for a two-team game, with NBC likely wanting the Rangers and the Rangers only versus another big market team (LA, Philly, etc.) to capitalize on ratings.

I've personally been wondering about the feasibility of a double-header at the Meadowlands Stadium, Devils/Islanders and Rangers/whoever (or Devils/Rangers & Islanders/whoever or Devils/whoever & Rangers/Islanders). If they're going to ultimately wind up doing two outdoor games in the same day, might as well be at the same place too.

I don't think the NHL has to be fair and give another WC to the Western Conference until they feel comfortable enough going against bowl games to do it - a noon start on the East on New Year's Day is a 10 AM start in Denver, which is a bit ridiculous.