Looking back on the Kovy trade

ghdi

I mean, people forget that Kovy said no to the contract in Atlanta, he definitely wasn't coming back after going UFA, so they basically got Bergfors, Cormier (who were both question marks), Oduya (solid defenseman, flipped him for picks now), and a 1st, all for 2 months of Kovalchuk that he would have spent there waiting to leave. I mean, yes, the Devils "won" in the sense that Kovalchuk long-term is better than Oduya and a pick long-term, but the Thrashers knew they wouldn't have Kovy long-term so it was all positive.

It's also interesting to look back though and see that everything has basically gone away for the Thrashers/Jets, but selling Oduya is a good move for them IMO.

You know the way that Winnipeg has gotten rid of everything from that trade kind of reminded me of the Joe Thornton trade where once Boston realised they got train wrecked in that deal they started systematically getting rid of all reminders of the trade.

... of course it ended up being kind of alright for them in the end but still.

If we're being fair, then we have to include the assets Winnipeg got for our assets too, in which I would include include Dustin Buff and a 2nd and a 3rd this coming draft. Even still, though, we robbed them unless they unearth a superstar in those spots in the next draft.

Edited by Hi, I'm VALUE!