Game Day Thread: Devils vs Islanders

Don

nyi_comp.gif vs njd_comp.gif

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=page&am...&gameType=2

A third-string goaltender has the New York Islanders on the verge of a very improbable playoff berth.

The Islanders will try to ride unlikely hero Wade Dubielewicz into the postseason Sunday when they visit nemesis Martin Brodeur and the Atlantic Division champion New Jersey Devils.

Any chance the Islanders (39-30-12) had at the playoffs appeared to end with a recent three-game losing streak that was due mainly to a concussion suffered by starting goaltender Rick DiPietro. Backup Mike Dunham played poorly in DiPietro's place, leaving coach Ted Nolan no choice but to go with Dubielewicz, who spent most of this season in the minors.

The 28-year-old Dubielewicz entered this season with only nine games of NHL experience but has looked like a poised veteran in four straight starts. He made 42 saves in a 5-2 loss to Ottawa March 31 and has turned aside 92 of 98 shots en route to three consecutive wins.

Dubielewicz was strong again Saturday, stopping 28 shots in a 4-2 victory at Philadelphia that kept the Islanders' playoff hopes alive. He is 3-1-0 with a 2.10 goals-against average in seven games.

That win, coupled with Toronto's 6-5 victory over Montreal, means the Islanders can clinch the eighth seed in the Eastern Conference and set up a first-round matchup with Buffalo with a victory in this game. A loss of any kind by New York gives eighth place to the Maple Leafs.

"The thing we talked about was getting the opportunity to fight for the spot," Nolan said. "We did our part."

With DiPietro likely sidelined for the rest of the season, Dubielewicz is ready to prove he could be counted on in the postseason.

"I feel like I'll be playing, I think," he said.

Beating Brodeur and the Devils, however, isn't something the Islanders have done a lot lately. They have lost the last six meetings since a 5-2 victory in the first matchup of the season on Nov. 2.

Brodeur is 6-0-0 with a sparkling .966 save percentage and three 2-0 shutouts in those six games. He is 38-17-2 with four ties, a 2.17 goals-against average and 10 shutouts - his most against any team - in 63 career games versus the Islanders. Brodeur also has 38 wins against the New York Rangers, tying for his most against any opponent.

This game is virtually meaningless to the Devils (49-24-8), who have already locked up the second seed in the East and a first-round matchup with Tampa Bay.

Brodeur, though, figures to play as he is one appearance shy of his 79th of the season, which would match Grant Fuhr's NHL record set in 1995-96 with St. Louis. A victory in this game would give him 92 over last season and this season, one more than Hall of Famer Bernie Parent had with the Flyers in back-to-back seasons (1973-74 and 1974-75).

Brodeur set the NHL record for wins in a season with his 48th Thursday in a 3-2 victory at Philadelphia that also clinched the Atlantic for the Devils.

"I think with him being an icon as far as goalies for the Flyers, to go into Philly and do it here, I couldn't write it a lot better than that," Brodeur said.

Vancouver's Roberto Luongo won his 47th game Saturday in a 4-3 overtime win over San Jose. Luongo could match Brodeur if he wins Sunday at Phoenix.

Tuesday's victory was also the Devils' franchise-record 49th, surpassing the mark they set in 1997-98 and 2000-01. They have won four straight overall and are 2-0-0 since general manager Lou Lamoriello fired coach Claude Julien with three games left in the regular season and stepped behind the bench.

Devils right wing Brian Gionta hopes to play this game after sitting out Thursday with a foot injury.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Don but.

LETS GO DEVILS!!!

:gd:

Wow this is the last game ever played @ CAA today and the Devils go out hopefully with a win! :evil: Time for the Devils to take out the Islanders from the playoffs. Toronto would get in @ #8 but they will lose to Buffalo in round 1.

Brodeur goes for NHL league leading win #49 as he makes another record playing in his 79th game of the season. Devils also go for franchise win #50 today on the last game ever played @ CAA. It will be kind of a sad day knowing this is it for the Devils @ CAA. :( With a win today by Brodeur he will pass Parent with 92 wins in two seasons. Looking forward to seeing the last regular season game here @ CAA today and what better way to close it out is with a WIN!!! :evil::koolaid:

Lotsa intrigue around the game considering it's the last regular season game and it means nothing for the Devils team.

Will Marty play? Matty? Gio? Will there actually be decent ice? Will any more Devils get hurt in warmups? :P

Eh screw the Isles, I wanna knock them (and Ted 'I'm not boring' Nolan) out - plus it'd be nice for the Devils to have a crisp game before the playoffs and Marty to officially put the record out of reach. I'd love to see Leafs-Sabres just to prolong the Leafs' agony and to see LOTCB run the emotional gauntlet :evil:

I know people say it'd be better for area hockey if the Isles made it but I doubt the series goes beyond five games if they did, even with it being a blood match between Nolan and the Sabres. Do have to give the Isles credit for getting to this point though, I've bagged on 'em all year and rightly so but for all the off-ice machinations they've come together on ice surprisingly well.

Edited by Hasan4978

Lotsa intrigue around the game considering it's the last regular season game and it means nothing for the Devils team.

Will Marty play? Matty? Gio? Will there actually be decent ice? Will any more Devils get hurt in warmups? :P

Eh screw the Isles, I wanna knock them (and Ted 'I'm not boring' Nolan) out - plus it'd be nice for the Devils to have a crisp game before the playoffs and Marty to officially put the record out of reach. I'd love to see Leafs-Sabres just to prolong the Leafs' agony and to see LOTCB run the emotional gauntlet :evil:

I know people say it'd be better for area hockey if the Isles made it but I doubt the series goes beyond five games if they did, even with it being a blood match between Nolan and the Sabres. Do have to give the Isles credit for getting to this point though, I've bagged on 'em all year and rightly so but for all the off-ice machinations they've come together on ice surprisingly well.

Edited by SatansDevils

I know I'm looking way down the line here, but I think it would be better for the Sabres to have to play the Leafs in the first round. The Leafs will at least challenge them physically and may steal a win or two. The Sabres would sleepwalk a four game sweep against the Isles. I want to see the Sabres a little beat up by the time we play them :pray:

I still wanna win but after reading some of the Toronto whining, now I wish there was a way we could screw both teams. I guess the closest thing possible would be to start Clemmensen and still beat the Isles :P

We owe nothing to the Leafs, they've blown two seperate three-goal leads this month. If they can't get in tough.

I'd like to see Toronto in, because I think the Islanders would get swept in 3 by Buffalo. The NHL would just declare a forfeit for the 4th game.

Toronto has a chance to win a game and an outside shot at winning 2. I think they're the better team and it isn't close. I don't want Buffalo sweeping and us playing a tough series.

And before all you people start saying 'well we swept last year and lost blah blah blah' we swept in 2000's first round too. And we certainly breezed through the first round in 95 and 2003 as well.

Edited by Triumph

The only reason I actually wanted Broduer to play was so he could get the 49th win, cause Roberto Luongo is probably going to get his 48th win today since the Canucks are playing the Coyotes. Maybe Lou is just saying that Clemmey is going to start just to fvck with everyones heads and Marty is going to end up starting. If Clemmey is in net I want the Islanders to win. fvck the Leafs.