GDT: Philthadelphia Failures @ New Jersey Devils

Coorslight

I'm kinda impressed with this team so far. These two games haven't been pretty but especially tonight, they went up against a desperate flyers team, didnt play their best and still won 3-0. If they can add another forward and get henrique back healthy I think we could be a pretty good team.

Good win. Always good to get off to a nice start, especially in a shortened season. We got outplayed for the most part, but we were able to capitalize on our opportunities. Hell, we played better D on the PK then we did at full strength. I'm loving the top line of Zubrus-Zajac-Kovy. Zubrus good on the forecheck, and Kovy has been pretty good so far. Zajac a good finesse player from the slot. I'm liking Matteau, although I saw him slipping around a bit and getting overmatched on the forecheck. Salvador was by far our best D-man out there and Marty once again proved that he is an ageless wonder out there.

Anyone remember when Engblom (I think) talked about how good the Devils were during the playoffs shutting things down after getting big leads? Like giving up 3 goal leads to Florida and the Rangers and a few two goal leads. Are they that bad with all teams, or is this unique to the Devils?

Even when the press is trying to compliment us, they still get it wrong.

tumblr_lsecz04SdR1qzxiar.gif

I Love matteau too... And Zubie we need to resign that guy ! and what happen with clarkson a wraparound goal????? that was unexpected.... Kovalchuk beauty, Marty too good for the league, Giroux sucks and complain, andy greene playing a good game...

we need to work on our powerplay... but we beat those flyers and i just love it....

Bs thing by simmonds... Do you have to be completely stupid because you play for the flyers?????

Back from the Rock... nice crowd... essentially a sell-out and loud!

Marty was just in complete control.. he was demoralizing

So pleasant to see those Phailures decompose.

We playing with 6 or 7 forwards.. Matteau and Tedenby not ready

Zdlicky needs to get back his timing... Volchenkov and Tallinder had some excellent adventures

I predicted Clarkson at 13 goals this year...if his luck keeps up he'll be at that by game 13

Gionta is just such a sound player.. getting quality minutes,,, lol

It doesn't matter how you win them, 2 point is 2 points...especially after such a layoff

Nice win. Devils played horribly in the first but bounced back in the final 2 periods. Some luck on the Clarkson goal and the penalty shot didn't seem entirely deserved but wow has Kovalchuk become money on those plays.

Love Josefson getting 17 minutes. Tedenby got stapled to the bench after his terrible point coverage + penalty - that seemed inevitable. It was fun when he wasn't in the doghouse though. Matteau - 3 shots again, makes some nice reads in the offensive zone, but in the defensive zone he needs work. It's going to be a tough decision but I think he will be sent back. Still, unless he regresses, won't be that hard to pencil him in on next year's team.

Teddy did have two good defensive plays in the first period. I thought he was fine then.

Granted I didn't watch much after Devils went up 3-0.

What a game.

After a sluggish and lucky first, we played solid for the other 40 minutes. Marty stood on his head during the first and really gave the guys confidence. I know it's only been two games, but he really seems to be on his game. It's refreshing considering he usually starts seasons off poorly.

On a personal note, I got Henrique to sign the puck they gave away. Me and my buddy were waking out and we just saw him in his SUV signing autographs. What a night!

I'll pay for this later. I'm on my way back to Rhode Island for an 8 am class and won't be home till 2. Well worth it though

Another reason why Janssen is not needed in the lineup. The Flyers are not playing a single goon, and the Devils have plenty of players that can stand up for themselves like Clarkson, Carter, Bernier, and Salvador. Using Carter-Bernier-Gionta as a third line is not a great option right now or ever.

Edited by devilsrule33

Go Devils.. But **** some people in Newark.. Got this nice present when I rushed back to my car to get to my hockey game.. Luckily, people in Newark don't know what hockey equipment is (the skates were in the trunk but my $200 sticks were in the body and did not get stolen)

nynydy4a.jpg

Go Devils.. But **** some people in Newark.. Got this nice present when I rushed back to my car to get to my hockey game.. Luckily, people in Newark don't know what hockey equipment is (the skates were in the trunk but my $200 sticks were in the body and did not get stolen)

nynydy4a.jpg

WTFF!! where did you park and what did they take?

@RealKyper: @RealKyper: #NHL news. 1st Shanahan supplemental discip' hearing of yr. Wed afternoon. #Flyers Brayden Schenn possibly leaving feet vs #Devils 2nd per

Pretty sure it's from the hit on Volchenkov, I noticed it but no one reacted or mentioned it so I figured I was wrong. My guess is a one game suspension since there was no injury, but who knows with Shanaban.

What a game.

After a sluggish and lucky first, we played solid for the other 40 minutes. Marty stood on his head during the first and really gave the guys confidence. I know it's only been two games, but he really seems to be on his game. It's refreshing considering he usually starts seasons off poorly.

On a personal note, I got Henrique to sign the puck they gave away. Me and my buddy were waking out and we just saw him in his SUV signing autographs. What a night!

I'll pay for this later. I'm on my way back to Rhode Island for an 8 am class and won't be home till 2. Well worth it though

Cool stuff re henrique! Was he generous about it or bothered?

WTFF!! where did you park and what did they take?

Near Branford Place and Treat Place.. Been parking there for years with no issues

Thankfully, nothing was taken. Guy just broke the window and quickly searched the glove compartment and center console.. Like I said, he passed up on two $200 hockey sticks

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=414246

"I didn't hit him too hard," Simmonds said. "I just gave him a little push that I kind of thought he over exaggerated, and it worked. He is one of the best goalies who ever played. He can do whatever he wants in this league."

Sounds like someone needs a hug!

• Like 1

For whatever it's worth, kind of nice to see Kovalchuk have a +3 rating after two games.

• Like 1

nynydy4a.jpg

Holy crap! That sucks, man! Glad your valuables weren't taken, but damn. If nothing else, this is a rough time of year to be stuck driving without a window.

@RealKyper: @RealKyper: #NHL news. 1st Shanahan supplemental discip' hearing of yr. Wed afternoon. #Flyers Brayden Schenn possibly leaving feet vs #Devils 2nd per

Pretty sure it's from the hit on Volchenkov, I noticed it but no one reacted or mentioned it so I figured I was wrong. My guess is a one game suspension since there was no injury, but who knows with Shanaban.

I remember thinking he left his feet for that hit, but something else happened immediately afterwards that distracted everyone from it. Can't remember off the top of my head. Maybe Simmonds' stupid shot at Marty?

Marty did sell that one, but Simmonds was stupid enough to give a needless after-the-whistle push in the first place. He deserved a penalty just for stupidity.

Simmonds is dumb as a brick, and he's a perfect example of what's wrong with the Flyers. Philly played a great first period, they just got it raw on the scoreboard. If they stuck to their gameplan, they could've pulled off an emotional comeback win. But no. They're the Flyers, so they do what Flyers do: Goon it up. It was entertaining for us, but I'm not sure their fans are entertained by the 0-3 start.

Edited by DaneykoIsGod

Man, sorry to see that Colin. I had that happen twice to me when I was going to Montclair State College...same window, in fact. I knew several students who had their cars either broken into or flat-out stolen. Always made us wonder what the campus police were doing...I never saw a more useless batch of overweight zilches in my life.