Preds MATCH offer for Weber

Z-Man

It's not a sign and trade, the Preds have to keep him for at least a year. If the Predators owners have the money for this, more power to them, but good lord that is a ton of money. I imagine a lot of it will be made up by Josi and Ellis becoming solid defensemen behind Weber, but still.

Phew....

too bad nobody offer sheeted Parise!

Couldn't have happened, Zach elected for arbitration last summer.

Real glad that Weber is staying the hell out of the Atlantic, though. I'm curious to see if Holmgren tries for a home run trade for a defenseman. I could see him going after Yandle.

How is this contract "legal" but Kovy's wasn't?

This is an insane amount over a ridiculous term.

Because when Kovy's first deal was rejected and we were penalized, they created an amendment to the CBA once his new contract was approved.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/news/story?id=5528523

As part of the amendment, the NHL has agreed to stop looking into the long-term deals of Chris Pronger, Roberto Luongo, Marc Savard and Marian Hossa, the league and NHLPA said in a joint statement.

In exchange for allowing those four contracts and Kovalchuk's new deal to stand under the old rules, the NHLPA agreed to new regulations governing how front-loaded, long-term contracts count against the salary cap.

A news release from the NHL and NHLPA said that "under the terms of the agreement, the new rules will apply only to long-term contracts, defined as those with terms of five years or longer, and only to contracts executed after Sept. 4, 2010. The new rules apply to contracts signed between now and the end of the CBA, as well as all contracts signed that begin in the 2012-13 season. The parties have agreed that the new rules do not automatically carry over into a new CBA."

In the future, the salary cap hit for any contract that is five years or more in length and takes a player to his 41st birthday or beyond will be determined by the average of the yearly salaries only until the year in which the player turns 40.

They don't care anymore, at least not until the new CBA.

Glad for the Preds and more importantly glad that we dont have to deal with Shea Weber for a decade.

Edited by ghdi

Couldn't have happened, Zach elected for arbitration last summer.

Real glad that Weber is staying the hell out of the Atlantic, though. I'm curious to see if Holmgren tries for a home run trade for a defenseman. I could see him going after Yandle.

I think the team elected for arbitration to avoid an offer sheet.