Kovalchuk Retired Effective Immediately?

GoArmySports

I was never a Kovy fan, never thought his heart was here, pretty obvious he signed here becuase of the contract size, and then realized that money could not make him happy.

His contract would have choked the devs out ina few years, its sucks that he's gone, but LL will figure something out, Devs had a great offseason, this alone does not kill that.

i mean... its probably not gonna happen but fvck do i ever hope we can keep our pick next year. Lamoriello is appreciated by everyone in the league and from what i read a vote could overrun that decision? i know other teams doesnt want to help the Devils but this isnt just about the Devils, its against the NHL.

The Devils virtually don't have to worry about recapture while getting 3 prime years of Kovalchuk

It's still not a circumvention.  They get dinged by recapture it just doesn't matter.

i mean... its probably not gonna happen but fvck do i ever hope we can keep our pick next year. Lamoriello is appreciated by everyone in the league and from what i read a vote could overrun that decision? i know other teams doesnt want to help the Devils but this isnt just about the Devils, its against the NHL.

TG has talked to the NHL, it's not happening.

This is a blessing in disguise.

Kovalchuk had some of his worst years here. He is was improving defensively but was never a difficult player to play against.

In the short term the Devils are worse. But in the long term I believe the organization will be better by getting back to the team first approach that has been the key to the team's success.

This hurt... all gone without getting a single pick or anything in exchange

devilsscorer_zpsa62b6626.jpg

We have clear (if not better) replacements for all but the top 2. And with the extra cap room I expect Lou to bring in someone close to one of those. So yeah, we're hurting, but every year different teams lose a star players and they muddle through. That graphic makes it seem much more grim then it is. 

Devils lost a superstar player, but.. now we all understand the difference between true Devils and simply hockey players.. Elias, Zubrus.. they wants to be a DEVIL, and says it in public. Can you feel the difference?