1023 replies to this topic

#961 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:19 AM

Dickey would make the Jays rotation pretty ridiculous.

AL East favorites if it goes through. Even with a potential ridiculously-good return, I'm going to miss Dickey. He went from a scrap heap pickup to an ace in 3 years (and he still probably has some great years ahead of him despite his age). He was a huge fan favorite with his feel-good background story, Star Wars fetish, and witty personality. Last season was another poor one for the team but Dickey at least made things exciting. One of the best Met pitching seasons I've ever seen, of course. He was a bright spot to the franchise during dark years. Given the return, it IS the right call to move on, but I'm going to miss him and I wish him all the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeT2zJmD3kc

Edited by nmigliore, 16 December 2012 - 10:24 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#962 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,846 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:51 PM

Is d'Arnaud a better prospect than Wieters was?

#963 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:02 PM

Is d'Arnaud a better prospect than Wieters was?

No but he's the best catching prospect in the minors and certainly one of the top overall prospects in baseball.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#964 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,846 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:04 PM

No but he's the best catching prospect in the minors and certainly one of the top overall prospects in baseball.

Who does he compare to at the major league level?

#965 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:05 PM

Who does he compare to at the major league level?

Jason Parks of BP said he said has the upside to hit .275+ with 17-25 HR; solid defensively; first-division regular, all-star upside.

Syndergaard has an even higher ceiling but is far more riskier of course.

Edited by nmigliore, 16 December 2012 - 01:06 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#966 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,846 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:10 PM

Jason Parks of BP said he said has the upside to hit .275+ with 17-25 HR; solid defensively; first-division regular, all-star upside.

Syndergaard has an even higher ceiling but is far more riskier of course.

So elite offense (for catcher's standards), good defense. Sounds like a gem

#967 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,288 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:48 PM

http://www.mlbtrader...-ra-dickey.html

The Mets are selling high on R.A. Dickey after the 38-year-old knuckleballer's Cy Young season. They have agreed in principle to trade that will send Dickey to the Blue Jays, Ken Rosenthal reports (on Twitter). The deal is contingent on Toronto being able to work out a contract extension with Dickey and they'll have a negotiating window of 72 hours, expiring Tuesday at 1pm CST (Twitter link).

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#968 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,818 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:41 PM

This will be a great deal for the Meta even if it doesn't work out. What I mean is that they are not a contender with Dickey for the next couple of years, but have given themselves the opportunity at least for long term success with te Jays best prospect. It's always a crapshoot, but parlaying a 38 year old pitcher for that kind of return is a great move.

Forgive typos. Doing this from my iPhone.

Edited by Daniel, 16 December 2012 - 02:53 PM.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#969 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,140 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:57 PM

Great deal by the Mets. They made out as well as ever could be imagined. Very tough as a Jays fan to give up that much, but this team looks pretty stacked in an AL East that has not looked this vulnerable in years. And as a Jays fan, I have never seen a meaningful game. There hasn't been one since 1993. There certainly looks like there will be for the next few years.

This trade does leave a gigantic hole at the catching position for years to come. JPA has good power and is atrocious at everything else.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#970 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,554 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:49 PM

Liked Dickey just as much as every other Met fan, but this is the right move. No guarantee Dickey has another season like this in him, and the Mets got back potentially great value.

Maybe one more tough year coming for the Mets, but 2014 could be the beginning of some solid, contending seasons. Next year isn't about wins and losses so much as it is seeing progress, and seeing the kids gaining experience and developing. Anybody know who the big free agents are after 2013? I get the feeling the Mets will be involved.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#971 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,505 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:05 PM

Every time I see this thread bumped I think the deal's gone official but it hasn't yet. At least we should know by Tuesday afternoon but it's still contingent on Dickey agreeing to an extension there.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#972 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,554 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:17 PM

Pelf signs with the Twins.
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#973 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:05 PM

Jays agreed to a 2/25 extension for Dickey, per Rosenthal. All that is left is the physical for Dickey. Hopefully we hear about who else is involved in this deal soon too.

Edited by nmigliore, 17 December 2012 - 12:05 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#974 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,977 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:36 PM

Mets fans should be excited. When you can get a potential elite catcher and a top of the rotation pitcher for a 38 yar old knuckeballer...great story....big fan of his...make the deal every time.

Mets fans will love this trade in 3-4 years

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#975 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:31 PM

Mike Nickeas is also going to Toronto. Wuilmer Becerra is coming to the Mets - 18 year old outfielder who was an IFA signing for $1.3M in 2011 out of Venezuela. Certainly very far away but he's not a throw-in type.

Jason Parks@ProfessorParks
I'm very impressed that the #Mets were able to get Wuilmer Becerra included in Dickey trade. Promising Venezuelan bat. Love the upside.

The trade still hasn't been officially released but I'm assuming the complete deal looks like:

Dickey, Thole, Nickeas for d'Arnaud, Syndergaard, Buck, and Becerra.

Love it.

Edit: Deal is official, sweet!

Edited by nmigliore, 17 December 2012 - 06:12 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#976 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,505 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

lol at Mike Nickeas being the super-secret other guy we gave up in the deal, and getting an OF prospect to boot. Can't exactly complain about getting a C, OF AND SP prospect.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#977 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,554 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:06 AM

Mets fans should be excited. When you can get a potential elite catcher and a top of the rotation pitcher for a 38 yar old knuckeballer...great story....big fan of his...make the deal every time.

Mets fans will love this trade in 3-4 years

We love it now. Sorry to see Dickey go, but this deal made sense on all levels.

#30 FOREVER!

#978 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,146 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:10 AM

I really liked R.A. Howie Rose had it dead on when he said he's turned into a folk hero of sorts. From nothing to knuckle-balling ace all in his late 30's...and somehow did it on the Mets. Lots of great memories of this guy (even going back to the famouse Chris Russo R....A....DICKEY tirade when he shut us down back in 08 I think) very sad to lose such a good guy. However, it's doubtful he repeats 2012 at his age, and the fact that he throws harder than most knucklers. It was a trade that needed to be made. Our catcher position is probably shored up for the next 10 years, plus we got a guy in Buck who actually has power. Not a bad short term pickup. Plus the raw prospect in Syndegaard who has a high upside. Thole and Nickeas are nothing. Garbage really.
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#979 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:44 AM

Thole and Nickeas are nothing. Garbage really.

Yeah, getting rid of these two guys was a nice compliment to that trade. I think Thole can rebound and hit enough to be an okay backup with shaky defense, but I think we're all tired of his game and I certainly had no interest in seeing him get another 350+ PA after a replacement level season. He was a probably a lock to be non-tendered next winter too. So, so happy Nickeas is gone. I never understood why they he even gave him run as the backup; he doesn't belong in Major League Baseball, even as a depth body.

Between Thole, Nickeas, Johnson, and Shoppach, Mets' catchers combined for the worst OPS and fWAR in MLB. All four guys won't be in the organization next year. John Buck isn't good either, frankly, but he's probably a +1 to +1.5 win upgrade over the monstrosity that was Josh Thole last season, and he should be a respectable short-term fill-in until d'Arnaud is ready. Recker, who is set to be the backup as of right now, at least has a career .833 OPS in AAA to his name, including big numbers vs lefties, which makes him a little interesting.

Edited by nmigliore, 20 December 2012 - 10:50 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#980 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,554 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:50 AM

Yeah, got the Jays to take two stiffs off the Mets' hands. No complaints.

As far is hitting goes, looks like Buck is about the same as Kelly Shoppach...low average, low OB%, lots of Ks, has some power. So the next year will be likely be rough at the catcher position.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 20 December 2012 - 11:55 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users