Brent Sutter says 'I'm not a quitter'

Rock

If it was some immediate emergency I suspect we wouldn't have been hearing about him leaving since December - and if it were something really bad he would have left at that point - or we would have heard about it elsewhere since he's got a son in Carolina and a brother in Calgary (and we all know Canadian media is on call 24-7 trying to find out any kind of dirt in hockey).

Fact is he didn't want to come here in the first place and it's been five months of these rumors since December. And his junior team and businesses at home were often the first thing cited as why. You only want to come up with all these hypotheticals because you like the guy and always get peeved the first post that bashes him.

I don't want to hear about Sutter's family (or how great Red Deer is for that matter) if he comes back to coach any team in the next few years.

Oh get over it all of you!

How many things could have happened that they didn't want publicized?

As a Dad would you publiclly give this reason:

"SUTTERS DAUGHTER ATTEMPTS SUICIDE" - (N)Єverson

Someone put it best, if he sits out a year, then he owes no one an excuse....

If its a silly business decision - then crucify him! Either way, correct, he shouldn't be coaching this team.

Other than that stop sh!tting on him and respect his decision for his family's well-being until we know more.

If your silly quest to label him as a "Quitter" for the sake of it, you might as well say he has "Cooties" too, because it sounds about as mature.

I'll I'm saying is can we keep a bit f class and just say "thanks and good luck" without having to condemn until we no more?

Its similar to that common example of when you rip in to someone for not meeting you at a certain time or appointment, only to find out later they were in a car accident.

Get all the facts before you pass judgement! ...and if the facts are weak (or some Calgary bullsh!t) I'll condemn him equally as well.

BTW HAS: Yeah I like and respect Sutter...so what? Some people love Elias, Stevens, Robinson. What does it matter? I just don't think there's a need to name call 90% everyone that leaves this organization (Neids, Havelid, Luko) unless its for an ethically questionable reason.

Edited by DevilinLA

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone put it best, if he sits out a year, then he owes no one an excuse....

If anything sitting out a year and then coming back makes him look far worse. Cause then family and his junior team wasn't exactly the priority we were led to believe.

At least if he stays away for good (or a few years at least) then he's finally sticking to his guns which he should have to begin with and not come. And Lou clearly screwed up here by bending over backwards for someone that didn't have his heart in it.

Here's another fact, if there was one of the nightmare scenarios you portrayed then it probably will never come out anyway so you can always claim some invisible hypothetical. Calling him a quitter is not a name, it's just what he did.

Edited by Hasan4978

If anything sitting out a year and then coming back makes him look far worse. Cause then family and his junior team wasn't exactly the priority we were led to believe.

At least if he stays away for good (or a few years at least) then he's finally sticking to his guns which he should have to begin with and not come. And Lou clearly screwed up here by bending over backwards for someone that didn't have his heart in it.

Here's another fact, if there was one of the nightmare scenarios you portrayed then it probably will never come out anyway so you can always claim some invisible hypothetical.

Really...what difference does it make?

He won't be in NJ. Why do we have to justify this whole thing just so we set the satisfaction of calling him names?

Tell me guys....does that make you feel all that better going into this offseason?

Really...what difference does it make?

He won't be in NJ. Why do we have to justify this whole thing just so we set the satisfaction of calling him names?

Tell me guys....does that make you feel all that better going into this offseason?

Devilin, the fact is this.

Lou had to TALK Sutter into taking NJ's HC position. He was hesitant to take it.

Now I know that I'm an outsider looking into the front office of NJ's ownership and management, but my thought is this. If Sutter was that uncertain about leaving his family and Red Deer, he should NEVER have accepted and signed on the dotted line. And Lou should never have agreed to allow him to rethink his position every year and opt out any time he wanted to. That's not the way you run your bench.

Personally, I'm thinking there's something going on behind the scenes that no one on the outside is aware of or is hesitant to talk about. We'll see as the months go by, but I've got a funny feeling about this whole situation.

Whether you like the use of the word or not, Sutter is indeed a quitter.

There's no sugar-coating that fact.

Edited by IceThief

Lemme rephrase that then, he didn't want to leave Red Deer in the first place. Lou and Vanderbeek admitted at one point they were talking with him for I think eighteen months before he actually took the job. That (and Lou's acknowledgement that it was a year to year thing) tells me he was very hesitant to leave and Lou just wanted the guy that badly that he was willing to risk this happening.

This is why I don't understand why you fault MacLean for getting overlooked by Lou before Sutter got the job. It was clear Lou wanted Sutter that badly more so than MacLean not being ready.

This is why I don't understand why you fault MacLean for getting overlooked by Lou before Sutter got the job. It was clear Lou wanted Sutter that badly more so than MacLean not being ready.

Mac's been passed over four times as the coach (and not even offered a job by anyone else in the meantime) and after every time we've heard Lou's bs that he'll be a great coach in this league someday. Sutter was supposed to be a long-term solution which would have meant J-Mac would never get the coaching job here. As it is Lou'll probably bring back Lemaire or some other experienced coach because it is a win-now team, pass Mac over for the fifth time and say the same thing again.

Plus it seems like he's on the staff more to be Lou's mole than anything else since he gets foisted on everyone including Sutter and stays despite always being passed over though if I were him I might want to stay an assistant anyway, it seems as if he's got much better job security there.

Edited by Hasan4978

Mac's been passed over four times as the coach (and not even offered a job by anyone else in the meantime) and after every time we've heard Lou's bs that he'll be a great coach in this league someday. Sutter was supposed to be a long-term solution which would have meant J-Mac would never get the coaching job here. As it is Lou'll probably bring back Lemaire or some other experienced coach because it is a win-now team, pass Mac over for the fifth time and say the same thing again.

Plus it seems like he's on the staff more to be Lou's mole than anything else since he gets foisted on everyone including Sutter and stays despite always being passed over though if I were him I might want to stay an assistant anyway, it seems as if he's got much better job security there.

I still think MacLean did a heck of a job in the second half of the 2005-2006 season. He ran the bench and the team won 9 and 15 games in a row. Please try and tell me that he didn't do one hell of a job that season.

Pierre McGuire who has been a huge supporter of MacLean for a long time said this morning that he believes J-Mac deserves the job. Sure most of you could care less what Pierre things, but he is the only guy in the business who broadcasts from between the benches and has the closest look of how a coach runs the bench. He mentioned how impressive MacLean looked the entire 4-game sweep of the Rangers.

As for being passed over, he pretty much was given the opportunity to coach with Lou's guidance in 2006 and 2007. When have you ever seen a head coach get fired in the middle of the season and his replacement is an assistant coach with no head coaching experience at any level? It just doesn't happen...especially not on a team where the playoffs are a must. There has been a quite the trend of GMs coming down after firing a coach (Gainey, Doug MacLean, Waddell, Murray...

And again...why would any team go after an assistant with no head coaching experience from a team that hasn't even gotten passed the second round in years? It just doesn't happen like that in hockey.

Now if Lou passes MacLean again...well I agree he doesn't think that much of him...but Mac is now a lot more experienced and ready than he was before...and Lou doesn't have a hard on for anyone else out there like he did with Sutter.

Edited by devilsrule33

I still think MacLean did a heck of a job in the second half of the 2005-2006 season. He ran the bench and the team won 9 and 15 games in a row. Please try and tell me that he didn't do one hell of a job that season.

Pierre McGuire who has been a huge supporter of MacLean for a long time said this morning that he believes J-Mac deserves the job. Sure most of you could care less what Pierre things, but he is the only guy in the business who broadcasts from between the benches and has the closest look of how a coach runs the bench. He mentioned how impressive MacLean looked the entire 4-game sweep of the Rangers.

As for being passed over, he pretty much was given the opportunity to coach with Lou's guidance in 2006 and 2007. When have you ever seen a head coach get fired in the middle of the season and his replacement is an assistant coach with no head coaching experience at any level? It just doesn't happen. There has been a quite the trend of GMs coming down after firing a coach (Gainey, Doug MacLean, Waddell, Murray...

And again...why would any team go after an assistant with no head coaching experience from a team that hasn't even gotten passed the second round in years? It just doesn't happen like that in hockey.

Now if Lou passes MacLean again...well I agree he doesn't think that much of him...but Mac is now a lot more experienced and ready than he was before...and Lou doesn't have a hard on for anyone else out there like he did with Sutter.

I'm not sure I'd say that Johnny is more experienced and ready.

He's never been an HC ANYWHERE else in the NHL, much less NJ.

I'll eat crow on this board if it's anyone else but Johnny, but I'm not going to be shocked at all if it is him.

The East coast is a very tough place to move TO or AWAY from.

I know Sutter just moved into a place in Montclair that he was thrilled about when I at least talked about it with him. When I spoke with him in March he was really happy and smiling and talkative which is the complete opposite of how he looked at, before, and after games. Sure the way he spoke with me could have just been an act.

The three year deal was a mistake. Obviously it took a while for Brent to be convinced to leave Canada to come to Jersey to coach.

If the man wants to go home and be with his family, fine. If he turns up as the Flames coach next season, I'll enjoy the compensation but I'll lose even more respect for him as a person.

The way this was handled from the beginning is what's bothering me most about this process.

We were on this board bashing (N)Єverson and Brooks for suggesting that Sutter was thinking of stepping down. We thought it was just pander by the media to distract the Devils from playing hockey. It turns out they were right on.

Sutter should have kept this quiet until the season was over. We ended up having the team play for a coach they knew didn't want to be here... I mean c'mon! The guy looked like someone shot his dog in EVERY interview. It was depressing to watch. It's almost embarrassing for him that we had to have him bore us to tears every night. After a Devils win, watching his press conferences would actually take some of the joy out of it.

Good riddance... you're a good coach, but a baby.

Hire Carbo.