the Kovalchuk trade

SterioDesign

Yes, Zach Parise wants to play for a franchise that places little value on offense and likely would have held him back from achieving his full offensive potential. He has no interest whatsoever in being teammates and possibly linemates with one of the top offensive talents in the league. :rolleyes:

very good point here, i never really though of it that way

if anything by getting Kovy it showed that the franchise wanted to put more value on the offense, and zach stated a bunch of time that he thought that the team should use a system with more offense. Lou is also pushing hard to get a PMD but seems like he couldnt get anything yet

a few games before the Kovy trade we were playing Toronto and Zach was FLYING he was literally everywhere and scored 2 quick goals, i would have put lots of money that he was getting a hat trick but the team played safe and defense for the rest of the game and Zach didnt get the hat trick... he may not have scored another goal of course but if they would have kept the pressure im sure he would have scored again.

The funny thing is that Manta is actually right. The 2009-10 defense was good enough to help Marty (who put up career average numbers) take home his fifth Jennings.

This had a much to do with Lemaire having the right players and initiating them into a solid system.

I would also attribute most of this to the depth of talent we had upfront: Langs, Zajac, Parise, and Elias, Bergsfor, Rolston, even the third Zubrus, Clarkson and Niedermayer chipped in with goals. This made it easier for players like Greene to chip in 30 assists. Not a collection of superstars, but a strong cohesive group.

Yeah I'm checking out.

Manta, you have some serious blinders on. In what aspect of life can you just selectively chooses to ignore the questions that punch holes through your logic?

Stupid troll. That's all you are, seriously. Go to HF, you'd fit in more appropriately there with the mentally handicapped Maple Leafs fans.

The trade was a steal the contract is the issue.

This is where I'm at. Blaming the trade because it lead to a change in philosophy (or whatever) or mourning the loss of the assets we gave up is foolish to me. However that contract was a huge gamble whose current results leave much to be desired.

If Manta changed his position to "I didn't like the Kovalchuk trade because it was for a player that doesn't really fit with the devils organization (pretty much true, Kovalchuk did not fit in that half season at all) even if the price was 'right.' Even though this wasn't a huge deal as the risk was alleviated by the fact that it was only for a half season, the huge blunder of Lou/Vanderbeek was giving a 17 year contract (then after penalties, a 15 year contract) to a player who really doesn't fit (and didn't fit) with the Devils. It's been like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole ever since and it's left the team disjointed, and may end up in us losing Zach Parise"

That's a reasonable if pessimistic position and I could accept it. But blaming everything on the trade itself? I can't see it.