Who do you think the Devils will draft?

Jerzey

Devils 2013 draft selection  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think the Devils will select?

• Sean Monahan
    • Elias Lindholm
    • Nikita Zaradov
    • Hunter Shinkaruk
    • Bo Horvat
    • Curtis Lazar
    • Valeri Nichushkin
    • Darnell Nurse

I don't know where you get the idea that Barkov/Drouin are the 2nd coming. They wouldn't necessaraiy have been taken over Larsson I don't know where you're getting that. Larsson's draft was deep at the top w/ RNH before he got hurt, Landeskog and Huberdeau who was probably rated lower than Larsson who was probably equal w/ Landeskog. You know Larsson can play already, one of these guys could bust, you never know. Trading Larsson for any of them would be absolutely stupid. It may help more next year, but Larsson matters for the next 10 

MacKinnon was actually thought of as the second coming not too long ago, although he appears to have slipped a little in some people's eyes.  Barkov is outstanding.  Playing against men he's nearly a point a game, and has better numbers than the first player from the Finnish league taken last year.  Scouts, including Conte evidently, absolutely rave about him.  (J MacIssac called him a bigger version of Datsyuk).  For Drouin, I'm honestly just using transative logic in that he's ranked either ahead of or around Barkov and MacKinnon.  Admittedly though, I'm not a scout. 

2011 draft looks like it'll turn out to be an okay draft.  RNH is pretty average for a number 1 pick.  I like Landeskog a lot, and Huberdeau looks like he'll be a big time goal scorer.  Hamilton has the look of a star, and Courturier will be a good to very good player.  It's not the 1996 draft, but it's not the 2003 draft either. 

You're right though, all trades for draft picks are gambles.  But a deal for two top ten picks in what is supposed to be a great draft could be a gamble worth taking.

I'm guessing a least a 3rd. If the Flames like a dman enough, it could work

Trading down from 6 to 9 where the thinking is after 6 or 7 there's a drop off in talent level, it doesn't make much sense to get only a third round pick in return.  I'd venture a guess that only 10 percent of third round picks end up having an NHL career of any note.  In 2003, the Devils had to give up a second round pick to move from 22 to 17. 

I'm in the camp that thinks EDM is targeting a D at 7 and the report is likely to try to faciliate a possible trade. As of right now, I assume the top 5 is (Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Nichushkin). I still think 1 of Monahan, Lindholm, or Shinkaruk will be available at 9 but if they aren't I wouldn't be opposed to Bo Horvat. Still waiting for the draft guides to come out before I form any final opinions though.

Trading down from 6 to 9 where the thinking is after 6 or 7 there's a drop off in talent level, it doesn't make much sense to get only a third round pick in return. I'd venture a guess that only 10 percent of third round picks end up having an NHL career of any note. In 2003, the Devils had to give up a second round pick to move from 22 to 17.

Several reasons why CGY might do it using the 03 package:

I just wrote out a long response and just realized we don't have a 3rd this year

Trading down from 6 to 9 where the thinking is after 6 or 7 there's a drop off in talent level, it doesn't make much sense to get only a third round pick in return. I'd venture a guess that only 10 percent of third round picks end up having an NHL career of any note. In 2003, the Devils had to give up a second round pick to move from 22 to 17.

I just wrote out a long response and just realized we don't have a 3rd this year

Edited by SMantzas

I'm in the camp that thinks EDM is targeting a D at 7 and the report is likely to try to faciliate a possible trade. As of right now, I assume the top 5 is (Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Nichushkin). I still think 1 of Monahan, Lindholm, or Shinkaruk will be available at 9 but if they aren't I wouldn't be opposed to Bo Horvat. Still waiting for the draft guides to come out before I form any final opinions though.

Imo, if we're trading up, I'd want to get Nichuskin or Barkov, preferably Barkov, so I'd rather trade up to like 4-5 instead of 6 where Barkov could be gone already.

If we don't move our 1st pick, I'd want one of the 3 you mentioned.

If we miss all 3 of them, I'd prefer to trade down to try to pick Lazar around 14-18 and see if we can pick up a high 2nd rd pick for dropping a few spots.

If I was our GM, that's what would be my Plan A, B and C, in no particular order, but I'm not, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Edited by ATLL765

Imo, if we're trading up, I'd want to get Nichuskin or Barkov, preferably Barkov, so I'd rather trade up to like 4-5 instead of 6 where Barkov could be gone already.

If we don't move our 1st pick, I'd want one of the 3 you mentioned.

If we miss all 3 of them, I'd prefer to trade down to try to pick Lazar around 14-18 and see if we can pick up a high 2nd rd pick for dropping a few spots.

If I was our GM, that's what would be my Plan A, B and C, in no particular order, but I'm not, so we'll just have to wait and see.

I'd be beyond thrilled if they were able to trade up for Barkov. I'm a big fan of Horvat but I'd also be open to trading down for Lazar and adding a high 2nd round pick in the process like you said. It would be nice to have 3 picks in the top 39 of a strong draft.

Claude Giroux was taken 22nd overall and he is pretty darn good. I'm wondering if Dev's scouting

feels comfy the Dev's can trade up, and still land a potential stud? Or would Horvat/Monahan/Nichuskin

be able to jump right in?

Claude Giroux was taken 22nd overall and he is pretty darn good. I'm wondering if Dev's scouting

feels comfy the Dev's can trade up, and still land a potential stud? Or would Horvat/Monahan/Nichuskin

be able to jump right in?

It sounds like any of those guys could make the jump but maybe a guy like Horvat could benefit from a little bit of extra developmental time. Horvat's a solid two way center but doesn't have the ceiling of Monahan or Nichushkin from what I've read so far.

I'd be beyond thrilled if they were able to trade up for Barkov. I'm a big fan of Horvat but I'd also be open to trading down for Lazar and adding a high 2nd round pick in the process like you said. It would be nice to have 3 picks in the top 39 of a strong draft.

I think it would offset our lack of a 1st rd pick next year well, so we won't be missing it so badly this time next year. I'd also be pretty satisfied with getting Lazar+a high 2nd for our #9 pick.

• 3 weeks later...

Do you think the Devils would trade there 1st and 2nd rd pick to draft 3rd or 4th overall?

It would take more to move that far up.

Here's a recent history of trading up: 2008: Maple Leafs trade pick #7, a future second-round pick, and pick #68 for pick #5. 2008: Predators trade pick #9 and pick #40 for pick #7. 2007: Sharks trade pick #13 and pick #44 for pick #9.

These are pick only deals and don't involve players.

Trading into the top 3-4 is costly and will arguably be even more costly this year because the draft is very strong. Look at 08. It cost the Leafs their 2nd rounder the following year and their third that year just to move up 2 places. It would assuredly cost us the 9, 39, and probably one of our top prospects (if not someone like Henrique) to get into top 4 from #9, and could even be more. Plus, there are teams like Columbus and Calgary who have 3 first round picks this year and have more firepower to move up if they want to try.

I've been reading mocks for the last half hour or so http://dcprosportsreport.com/NHLMocks.htm

Basically its anyone's guess who we take. Shinkaruk seems to be the most likely to be on the board . I want Nichuskin, but I don't see him slipping to 9. If Monahan is there I think we have to take him over Shinkaruk. Someone has us mocked to take a goaltender (forget which one and dont think it will happen) which would ruin the day if that happened. Id also be disappointed with any defenseman not named Jones. We really need to land a forward this year.