Isles Sign Sutton

Devilsdude530

I don't see it as a bad signing because Sutton will add toughness to the Isles blueline. He's not as bad as he's being made out to be. I personally believe he's hated here because of his tendency to cheapshot players. And I think he's done it to some Devils in the past when they had little success against Atlanta.

Can he be victimized due to lack of footspeed? Absolutely. That's the one flaw in his game.

But to say the guy doesn't bring anything to the table is just off. He'll play physical and also block shots.

Despite playing in only 55 games last season, Sutton ranked 19th in the NHL in blocked shots with 162.

That doesn't seem like nothing. My guess is he'll replace the minutes Sean Hill logged and he is a few years younger. So for the Isles, it made sense.

Their D isn't bad if the young guys Gervais and Campoli round into shape. And Martinek is their best overall and really needs to stay healthy. Very underrated player Imo.

Fyi...I also am just not getting the love affair with Vishnevski either. Just read the scouting report. It sounds eerily similar. There's a reason he's been on four teams in the last five seasons.

Sutton stinks. He's a glorified third pairing defender who was selected in the expansion draft at least once, possibly twice. He's a decent 2nd pairing guy now - but he's also a big doof who isn't particularly physical or good at anything else.

I'm sure the Islanders signed him for too much - and the two of them deserve each other.

I don't see it as a bad signing because Sutton will add toughness to the Isles blueline. He's not as bad as he's being made out to be. I personally believe he's hated here because of his tendency to cheapshot players. And I think he's done it to some Devils in the past when they had little success against Atlanta.

Can he be victimized due to lack of footspeed? Absolutely. That's the one flaw in his game.

But to say the guy doesn't bring anything to the table is just off. He'll play physical and also block shots.

Despite playing in only 55 games last season, Sutton ranked 19th in the NHL in blocked shots with 162.

That doesn't seem like nothing. My guess is he'll replace the minutes Sean Hill logged and he is a few years younger. So for the Isles, it made sense.

Their D isn't bad if the young guys Gervais and Campoli round into shape. And Martinek is their best overall and really needs to stay healthy. Very underrated player Imo.

Fyi...I also am just not getting the love affair with Vishnevski either. Just read the scouting report. It sounds eerily similar. There's a reason he's been on four teams in the last five seasons.

Well it'll be fun watching him turn the puck over, fall behind the play, and screw up play after play in the process...

He's a defensive liability. Terribly immobile. He's big, but he can't play defense particularly well. He fits in with the Isles just fine.

Peter Popovic got a lot of blocked shots too - that doesn't mean he was any good. Blocking shots is nice, Matvichuk does that too, but unless you can bring something else to the table, you're not helping the team out all that much. He does score goals from time to time but for the most part I've never cared for Sutton's game - he gets beat wide all the time and he tends to take stupid penalties.

VV will provide slightly worse defense for almost half the cost - and he's several years younger. I do think he's being overrated around here, but the Devils have grown adept at making decent defenders look better than they are. We won a Stanley Cup with Shawn Chambers on our first pairing, after all.

Edited by Triumph

Most of the post was about Sutton in response to those who dislike him and wondered why they would add him to their blueline. Even if he does have flaws and is a tad overpaid, I think I gave a couple of reasons why the Isles went for him. He can be a little cheap. Something I eluded to.

Vishnevski was brought up in the thread earlier. So I merely chose to point out a fact about a player who once highly thought of and was in the Ducks' top four before he switched teams twice this past season rather quickly. It doesn't mean he won't be successful as a Devil. He does play physical but if you looked at the scouting report on TSN, part of his strength sometimes turns into a weakness which might possibly explain what's happened lately.

Since you focused on one aspect of my post, I'd like you to find all the posts where I've taken subtle shots at the Devils since you claim that I do it in "most."

I think in my time here, I've given plenty of credit to your team.

How many 'subtle shots' at my team do you think I've had to read over the years here? It's got to be about a million. I gave up wasting my energy on that because it's useless. My brother did in a roasting last week and he's usually pretty level headed and very respectful.