Schneider to start opener

DH26

Not really, there was almost no way they weren't going to split the two games regardless of whether Marty started Thursday or Friday.  Key is who gets start #5 and the next non back-to-backs? (the first four games are back-to-backs)

Edited by NJDevs4978

I'm sure it had more to do with Marty's dad/family situation than anything else.

To be honest, I've quickly gotten used to the safety Schneider makes me feel when he's in net. I was looking forward to seeing Schneider at the healm at the home opener, but now I'll be more on edge... Don't forget, Brodeur let in 4 goals in one period against these same Islanders just a week and a half ago. Hope he's ready and his head's in the game this time.

Not really, there was almost no way they weren't going to split the two games regardless of whether Marty started Thursday or Friday.  Key is who gets start #5 and the next non back-to-backs? (the first four games are back-to-backs)

You say this, but would you be saying this if Brodeur hadn't missed several days of practice?  I'm not convinced yet.

Can't say I'm surprised...makes sense that Marty will get the home opener.  I'm not even to try to predict beyond that. 

Hmm, nothing too big here. I think the bigger test of who does the coaching staff have more faith in, is who gets the first game vs the Rangers.

You know Marty is gonna want that one, but it's also a game that means a lot. I think if Schneider gets it, he's set to be THE goalie for us and Marty will get fewer games than him, if Marty gets it, I think we see a more 50/50 split.

i love Brodeur i really do guy is my hero... but i think were much more likely to get the win in Pittsburgh with Schneider in net against them.. i don't know why some are already doubting the team saying you doubt well get the win regardless of who plays in net thursday.. last year we sucked ass and we always found a way to play good against them.. ill be there friday and glad to see marty!

I believe we have back to back games on our first road trip with (correct me if Im wrong) Edmonton and Vancouver. Cory needs to play that game vs the canucks and have Marty start vs the Oilers. Even if Marty has a bad game that Dubnyk fellah is.just god awful and we should be able to put a few passed him lol

I honestly think this is the best-case scenario. My gut tells me the Devils lose to the Pens if Marty starts in net. Now with Cory in and Letang and Vokoun out, the Devils clearly have the goal-tending advantage and have a great chance to pick off the Pens on opening night. Marty will be charged up at home for the Islanders so the Devils should be in good shape there. And if he sh--s the bed, then it makes it that much easier to start getting Cory in there for a 60-40 split. Now that I said that, the Pens will win 6-0 and Marty will pitch a shutout.

Marty quotes Per TG

"I think if I'm able to get close to 50 games I'll be happy"

"We have 22 sets of back to backs, so right there that's a given.  After that I have to stay healthy, and I have to play well too."

I think it's great that he said that. It shows a much more realistic acceptance of the situation. From all he's said, it seems that he knows the job is Cory's to take. Looks like Marty is going to do his best to make Schneider earn it. A motivated Brodeur and Schneider can be very beneficial. In the end, I think Schneider will be solidified as the guy by mid-season. No knock to Marty, of course.

I should elaborate, I didn't mean for my post to come across as negative as it did. I just think Pittsburgh will come out very strong in their home opener. Penguins are a very good team, even minus Letang and with MAF in net.

Should he a hell of a game.

Edited by Devilsfan118