2013 WJHC

thefiestygoat

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

meaningless tournament ? really ?

Yes, really. There are three other quality teams, maybe 4. The competition is on a different ice surface. It's an honor to be selected but I don't pretend that it's super high level hockey or that anything that happens in the tournament is meaningful.

Yes, really. There are three other quality teams, maybe 4. The competition is on a different ice surface. It's an honor to be selected but I don't pretend that it's super high level hockey or that anything that happens in the tournament is meaningful.

Being able to represent your country and wear USA on your jersey is pretty damn meaningful to the players.

Its fine that you have your opinion but we can only agree to disagree here and i disagree 100%, for a player to make that team is a super big deal. You compete with the best, against the best and you're coached by the best. Competing at that level can only get you better with all the things you learn in those few weeks from all that experience or from the coaching staff, players and to play a different game.

Not as if he's gonna learn anything much in the few league games he's gonna play compared of being at this tournament competing at high level.

edit: plus that tournament is so fun to watch it's seriously my favourite hockey to watch with all those kids trying to show off their skills to the world and to prove themselves, you see the future of hockey right there and it's not the boring "play safe & repetitive hockey" that you see in the playoffs... i mean i like the playoffs and eventhough i enjoyed the Devils ride last year... I absolutely HATED to watch them play that system... HATED!!! i could almost predict every single play and what the puck carrier would do.

Edited by SterioDesign

Its fine that you have your opinion but we can only agree to disagree here and i disagree 100%, for a player to make that team is a super big deal. You compete with the best, against the best and you're coached by the best. Competing at that level can only get you better with all the things you learn in those few weeks from all that experience or from the coaching staff, players and to play a different game.

Not as if he's gonna learn anything much in the few league games he's gonna play compared of being at this tournament competing at high level.

edit: plus that tournament is so fun to watch it's seriously my favourite hockey to watch with all those kids trying to show off their skills to the world and to prove themselves, you see the future of hockey right there and it's not the boring "play safe & repetitive hockey" that you see in the playoffs... i mean i like the playoffs and eventhough i enjoyed the Devils ride last year... I absolutely HATED to watch them play that system... HATED!!! i could almost predict every single play and what the puck carrier would do.

Right so you're saying yourself that this hockey has no bearing on Matteau's pro career - the Devils dominated the playoffs up until Game 5 of the Rangers series. They dominated the playoffs in a way that Cup winning teams do, then ran out of steam. Regardless, they crushed. They didn't play this uncoached up-and-down style that the WJC, being a short tournament with unfamiliar players, tends to be. That's part of why I think the WJC's are malarkey - it's a talent contest, which the NHL is decidedly NOT. The NHL is a system league. And I imagine Matteau is a system player - he doesn't score a ton of goals, his numbers don't suggest he's a great passer, his forechecking is praised, his bodychecking is praised - these are NHL skills, not international-ice skills.

You compete against SOME of the best - you also compete against countries that don't produce many NHL players, but no one likes to talk about that. The US plays Russia, Germany, Canada, and Slovakia. Do you really think Germany and Slovakia are any better than the average QMJHL team? I don't. So that's 2 high level games and 2 games against middling competition.

Matteau'll use this as motivation and make the team next year.

Edited by Triumph

Glancing at the rosters on TSN since I'm bored, I noticed that there were a few 2014 draft elgibles listed on the rosters. Obviously, some of them probably made it due to their countries being weaker hockey nations. Anyone know anything about the following players?

Jakub Vrana RW/LW - Czech Republic - Age 16 6'0 165 (Linköping - SWE)

2012-13: 15 GP 12-11-23 +5 41 PIM (SuperElit)

2012-13: 5 GP 0-0-0 -2 0 PIM (Elitserien)

Hockey Prospect 2012 Blackbook:

Get ready to hear the name Vrana for a while. This kid is a star in the making. All Jakub Vrana does is put crooked numbers on scoresheets. This kid has amazing speed and his first few steps match with amazing quickness. His hands are elite as he is a pure goal scorer. Using the phrase stick handles in a phone booth applies to Jakub. While he had his ups and downs in the recent U18 in the Czech Republic, even the most casual fan could see that Vrana is a special player.

His problems in the U18 were mostly due to lack of strength versus the older and more physically mature players. Vrana has great vision and is very slippery carrying the puck. He shows off highlight reel moves that lead to show stopping goals. His feet and hands are so quick while he stickhandles it unreal. He battles his way through traffic splitting defenders. He has his head up all the time so he is very aware of the play around him. Jakub has a quick release on a very accurate shot. He is deadly once he gets into scoring position.

Leon Draisaitl LW - Germany - Age 17 6'2 198 (Prince Albert - WHL)

2012-13: 33 GP 9-19-28 +12 12 PIM (WHL) - 4th in Pts WHL U18

Rihards Bukarts LW - Latvia - Age 16 5'10 183 (HK Riga - MHL)

2012-13: 38 GP 9-14-23 -3 38 PIM (MHL)

Taking a look at some of the overagers that are elgible for this year's draft after being passed over in 2012.

J.C. Lipon C/RW - Canada - Age 19 6'0 181 (Kamloops - WHL)

2012-13: 34 GP 22-35-57 +23 46 PIM

Anton Slepyshev LW - Russia - Age 18 6'2 194 (Metallurg Novokuznetsk - KHL)

2012-13: 39 GP 4-3-7 -8 2 PIM 8:55 TOI/G 0.7 SH/G 14.3 SH%

Anton probably shines in practice and he looks great in warmup. The problem we saw, is he really doesn’t produce as much as we expected based on the talent level he possesses. He seemed to be one of those guys who leave you wanting more. He looks great and real flashy buzzing around the ice, he just looks like a pro. He has moves and stickhandles well but tends to not get involved enough in anything resembling physical play. He tends to play a perimeter game.

Skating and shooting are areas where Slepyshev shines. He has a good powerful stride and generates good speed. He moves well laterally and does a good job shaking defenders. His shot is very good, he flashed some great one-timers in our viewings.

Emil Djuse D - Sweden - Age 19 6'0 185 (Södertälje - Allsvenskan)

2012-13: 25 GP 2-6-8 -4 8 PIM

Filip Sandberg C/RW - Sweden - Age 18 5'9 170 (HV71 - SWE)

2012-13: 23 GP 17-19-36 +13 12 PIM (SuperElit)

2012-13: 8 GP 0-0-0 -3 0 PIM (Elitserien)

A small forward that plays much bigger, Filip Sandberg plays a bruising, 2 way style that is not seen from many players his size.

The first thing you will notice about Sandberg is just how fast he is out on the ice. He has a very good first few steps and reaches top speed in a hurry. He uses that speed to his advantage in both ends of the ice. Offensively, Sandberg displays some slick hands, and protects the puck well given his size. He uses sheer will around the boards to make sure he does not lose the puck against bigger opponents. His shot can be improved in terms of velocity and accuracy. Defensively, Sandberg loves to dish out big hits in open ice. He has good lateral movement, so he can catch anybody even if they quickly turn away from him. He stays in good position, and is defensively responsible.

However, Sandberg size will always be an issue. It will be interesting to see just how big and strong he can get and see how he will measure up against men.

Cole Bardreau RW/C - USA - Age 19 5'10 181 (Cornell - NCAA)* He will be Pietila's linemate.

2012-13: 11 GP 1-4-5 -1 12 PIM

I didn't think Camara should've even gotten a penalty for his hit, let a lone a game misconduct. Glad to see he isn't getting a suspension. That was the classic refs reacting to an injury and not the actual play. Credit Slovakia for hanging in that game so long, it was entertaining to watch for the most part.

Disappointing loss for the US against Russia, especially with a real tough game against Canada. I can't see the US winning that. Hopefully the Pietila injury is a minor knock and nothing more.

Day 4 Results

Sweden 5 vs 1 Latvia

Russia 7 vs 0 Germany

Current Standings

Group A

Sweden 2-1-0-0 8 Pts

Switzerland 1-0-1-0 4 Pts

Czech Republic 1-0-0-1 3 Pts

Finland 1-0-0-1 3 Pts

Latvia 0-0-0-3 0 Pts

Group B

Russia 2-1-0-0 8 Pts

Canada 2-0-0-0 6 Pts

USA 1-0-0-1 3 Pts

Slovakia 0-0-1-1 1 Pts

Germany 0-0-0-3 0 Pts

Huge game at 4:30 AM between the US and Canada. Here is the United States of Hockey preview and here is Buzzing the Net's preview.

My sleep schedule is all over the place right now so I stayed up to watch the first 2 periods of US - Canada and then watched the 3rd period this morning. Tough loss for the US who now have to beat a tough Slovakia team to avoid going to the relegation round for a 2nd year in a row. Subban picked a great time to have his best game of the tournament. Gibson played well for the US as well. It's a shame the US kept taking dumb penalties after grabbing all the momentum midway in the 3rd. Props to Canada.

That Germany - Slovakia game actually turned out to be fantastic to watch. Both of those goalies played well and I was a bit surprised the Germans led the game for as long as they did.

Day 5 Results

Switzerland 4 vs 5 Finland (SO)

USA 1 vs 2 Canada

Latvia 2 vs 4 Czech Republic

Germany 1 vs 2 Slovakia (OT)

Buzzing the Nets 3 Stars