2013 WJHC

thefiestygoat

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wild 1st half to the opening period of the US - Slovakia game. The US takes an early lead on a breakaway goal by Bardreau but then Slovakia immediately answered back with their own breakaway goal by Matis. Few minutes later Vesey makes a great read to a creeping McCabe who lost his man and gave the US the lead. Vesey then put in another solid shift and his linemate Gaudreau, whose been struggling, gives the US a 3-1 lead prompting the Slovaks to play their back up goalie for the 1st time this tournament.

EDIT: Reilly adds a 4th goal for the US! Great start!

EDIT: Trouba PPG! US piling it on! Still 1st period!

EDIT: Gostibehere gets a major penalty for tapping a guy on the nuts?! They have cups on and Matis dove.

EDIT: Slovaks get their 2nd goal on the PP. Wild 1st.

Edited by thefiestygoat

Day 6 Results

Czech Republic 4 vs 3 Switzerland (OT)

Slovakia 3 vs 9 USA

Sweden 7 vs 4 Finland

Canada 4 vs 1 Russia

Buzzing the Nets 3 Stars

Canada and Sweden each advance to the Semifinals since they won their respective groups. Finland, Latvia, Slovakia, and Germany will compete in the Relegation round. The Quarterfinal match ups are:

1/2

USA vs. Czech Republic 4:00 AM

Switzerland vs. Russia 8:00 AM

It's a much less physical game internationally and you have players who are used to playing physical and who are playing in the most important tournament of their lives to date. Still thought the US played pretty well, all things considered.

You mean judging and critiquing a team's two game results isn't the way to go? USA played well in both games, the breaks just didn't go their way.

The refs are destroying the US - Czech Republic game and its not even halfway thru the 1st. So many weak calls. IMO none of the first 5 penalties of the game should've been called. International hockey can be tough to watch sometimes. Let them play.

Update 1st Per: Gaudreau scores on the 5 on 3! At least the last 2 penalties were legitimate but I'd still like to see the players allowed more leeway. Trouba is playing amazing, blocking shots, sound positionally, skating well.

Edited by thefiestygoat

6-0 USA after 2!

Johnny Hockey (Gaudreau) with the hat trick, Barber with 2 goals that period, and Hartman. Pietila had another great chance to score but couldn't finish with under a minute left. Still he's having a great game and tournament. Great skating and understanding of the game. Hopefully the Czech's don't try to get dirty in the 3rd like they did in the 2nd, the US can't afford any suspensions/injuries with Canada coming up in the semis.

Pietila is a clone of Callahan...he is freaking amazing at anticipating and closing speed. There was mention that he had the best shot in camp as well. We may have a tough minute 15-20 goal scoring winger in the near future.

He has gotten a much larger role than I thought he would on this WJC team, but the Callahan comparisons are a tad premature - he made an enormous jump at both Y 21 and Y 22. Callahan scored 35 goals as a 21-22 year old in his first pro season, granted that was when both the NHL and AHL were handing out power plays but still, that's a great season.

I do think between he and Coleman, even though Coleman is a year older, Pietila is more pro-ready.

Great day almost, USA getting back at it while blowing out the Czechs. Only if the Swiss could have pulled off the upset. You have to give it to them though, almost beating both the swedes and soviets. impressive.

Interesting tweet today about how we have 2 tiers of international hockey

Canada, Russia, USA, Sweden

then

Finland, Czechs, Slovaks, and Swiss

I don't know that I agree completely considering the Swiss brought the Swedes to a shootout and Russia into OT

Im absolutely mind blown about how many people i know are going to bed early or not sleeping at all to be able to catch games at 4am even if they work in the morning and all... I mean i know some people would do it but on my facebook its all i see and for some its a whole family gathering and breakfast thing before games and people are getting together trying to stay awake and all... Its unbelievable.

This has been easily Pietila's worst game of the tourney.

Agreed but I still think he's been decent considering the top 6 that Canada has.

Grimaldi has been awful. Skate fast and then pass it to Canada.

His decision making shows why he fell out of favor with the coaches early on in the tournament.