The Race For 6th Thread

Triumph

At least the one thing about the Caps that isn't so hot is they've been blowing leads the last two games and relying on the shootout, the way we did early in the season.

It's Thursday...I think Washington goes to Tampa Monday (whoopee) and Florida plays Winnipeg at home Tuesday. Then on Saturday Washington plays the Rangers, who'll probably have everything wrapped up by then while the Panthers get Carolina at home.

If the Rangers have the division wrapped up, which they should, they'll lay down like dogs in that game. I'm relatively sure if you polled their room, they'd walk to Florida if it meant playing the Panthers over Washington.

Edited by MadDog2020

Bottom line is it really doesn't matter anyway. We all begged for Carolina in 09 and many wanted Philly in 2010.

lol I don't think ANYone wanted Philly in 2010. And Carolina wanted us more than we wanted them (sat Ward in the final game of the season when they could have had home-ice in the first round against the Pens).

lol I don't think ANYone wanted Philly in 2010. And Carolina wanted us more than we wanted them (sat Ward in the final game of the season when they could have had home-ice in the first round against the Pens).

Yeah I felt Carolina was our worst possible matchup in 09 too. (We could have beat them just the other options were preferable.)

Bottom line is it really doesn't matter anyway. We all begged for Carolina in 09 and many wanted Philly in 2010.

NO ONE begged for either one of those teams. And it matters a lot. Don't sit here and tell me you'd rather play Boston in the first round than Florida.

Philly just getting smoked early...but they are a good comeback team

exactly as you said they just came back down 2-0

hopefully everything stays the same and we play the panthers

Edited by Devilsrock01

NO ONE begged for either one of those teams. And it matters a lot. Don't sit here and tell me you'd rather play Boston in the first round than Florida.

Of course I'd rather play Florida. But I think this team can stack up with anyone in the league. There's a vibe I've been feeling talking to a lot of other fans that we don't stand a chance to win a round if we don't play Florida. Garbage.

It's been an up and down season, but there is no reason to believe this team can't make some noise. Regardless of who they play.

Of course I'd rather play Florida. But I think this team can stack up with anyone in the league. There's a vibe I've been feeling talking to a lot of other fans that we don't stand a chance to win a round if we don't play Florida. Garbage.

It's been an up and down season, but there is no reason to believe this team can't make some noise. Regardless of who they play.

I applaud your optimism, but this team isn't beating Pittsburgh or Boston in a 7-game series, and they're probably not beating the Rags or Phailures either. I would love to be wrong. LOVE to, and I would be the very first person to give you props and a high five if we did. But I'm trying to be realistic here.

Devils can beat anybody, If their games is on they can compete and win against any team in the NHL (i dont say thay are favorite)

Pittsburg and the devils are 3-3 this season

Same thing with the Rags 3-3

Philly i dont know and i dont really care....

I dont give a damn who we are facing we just need to beat anybody any way....

So believe in our team cause i do and we may not be favorite... burt the underdog game is what we are good at...

I applaud your optimism, but this team isn't beating Pittsburgh or Boston in a 7-game series, and they're probably not beating the Rags or Phailures either. I would love to be wrong. LOVE to, and I would be the very first person to give you props and a high five if we did. But I'm trying to be realistic here.

Sure we could. Anything can happen. It's the playoffs. Nobody is miles ahead of anyone.

Maybe it's just the Giants fan coming out of me come playoff time, but everyone takes this team so damn lightly. We are FINALLY getting back our top line center, perhaps our most important player. The Devils without a doubt have the ability to sneak up on a team, especially since they are no longer feared like they once were.

It's about setting them up for the best chance of success. Do I think we could beat any of the top team in a seven game series? Yes, of course we have a chance to. But our chances of making round 2 are significantly higher against the Panthers or even the Caps than Boston or anybody else we could play. So there's nothing wrong with hoping for a match-up with the Panthers. It's not to say that we will definitely beat them, or that we definitely couldn't beat somebody else. It's just putting ourselves in the best position to win a playoff series.

We are FINALLY getting back our top line center, perhaps our most important player. The Devils without a doubt have the ability to sneak up on a team, especially since they are no longer feared like they once were.

You could say the EXACT same thing about the team we're likely playing in the first round at this point though (the Caps).

You could say the EXACT same thing about the team we're likely playing in the first round at this point though (the Caps).

Dude, what? The Devils are way more likely to play Florida than they are to play the Caps. 2 points up with a game in hand is a large lead when there are only 3 games remaining. And that's not even taking into account that Florida, as I write this, is ahead by 1 in their game today.

Edited by Triumph

Damn, Ottawa just ain't going away...they're doing what they can to make Game 82 count. With the Devils up by four points, they're still incredibly likely to snag the 6, but Ottawa will have pulled off an impressive feat if they can actually make that game against the Devils mean something; of course, if the Devils can notch three out their next four points, it won't matter what Ottawa does.

Damn, Ottawa just ain't going away...they're doing what they can to make Game 82 count. With the Devils up by four points, they're still incredibly likely to snag the 6, but Ottawa will have pulled off an impressive feat if they can actually make that game against the Devils mean something; of course, if the Devils can notch three out their next four points, it won't matter what Ottawa does.

Ottawa winning is only good for NJ. They have done a good job keeping he pressure on and forcing NJ to make the last few games very meaningful. If they kept losing, it be very easy for this team to get very complacent regardless what the coaches kept hammering home. It be easy to take the foot of the pedal. Here, the standings are the message: win or you'll play a team that kicked your butt all year.

Ottawa winning is only good for NJ. They have done a good job keeping he pressure on and forcing NJ to make the last few games very meaningful. If they kept losing, it be very easy for this team to get very complacent regardless what the coaches kept hammering home. It be easy to take the foot of the pedal. Here, the standings are the message: win or you'll play a team that kicked your butt all year.

In fairness to the Devils, I think they've given top effort most games...they haven't always played well, and I think they definitely have matchup issues with some teams, but I don't think complacency is a problem with this group, I really don't.