2012 All Purpose UFA Thread

Mayday

Anyone remember Tyler Eckford? I thought he looked excellent in his limited time with NJ. He had some pretty good numbers in the AHL last season. I think he might be an excellent #6/7/8. He is UFA as of July 1st.

Only problem is that he may count as a veteran for Albany purposes and our D depth is already pretty good.

Crosby Gets a $12-Year Extension for $104.4 million.

A few years I would have perhaps applauded this move. But now? One hit from his career being over. I'm not sure how great a massive contract like this is. Furthermore what does this do for the Penguins dreams of wanting to land Zach?

A few years I would have perhaps applauded this move. But now? One hit from his career being over. I'm not sure how great a massive contract like this is. Furthermore what does this do for the Penguins dreams of wanting to land Zach?

They have 14 in cap space and want to deal Martin. They've also never confirmed that they want to go after Zach. That was assumption after the draft. The stronger rumor is they want to go after Suter, and yesterday places were saying they were targeting Semin.

I don't think they'd have gotten Zach w/wout Crosby's new deal.

If his career ends due to injury or any other reason, what he's paid does not count against the cap. I'm also sure the Penguins have insurance to cover his salary if he suffers a career ending injury. Don't want to imagine what the premium is though.

10 Year contract for Quick seems to have LOL all over it. I am betting he's going to be a sub-par goalie next year.

Im now convinced that the rumor about the NHL wanting to limit deals to 6 years is real and teams are trying to get by that now.

http://kings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=636351&navid=DL|LAK|home

Based on what? He'll probably be worse than he was this year but I don't see him being below average.

Based on the fact that no one has any goddamn idea who the good goalies are, besides 2 or 3 guys. Quick could just be another Ryan Miller. Remember when everyone thought he was clearly a top goalie?

Ryan Miller didn't win a Stanley Cup with a GAA of under 1.5. He didn't even win a gold medal.

I'm sure if you looked in Ryan Miller's career history, you can find a 20 game sample with play that good. Quick might've just become one of the league's elite goalies, or he could be a decent goalie on a huge hot streak, which happens all the time.

I'm sure if you looked in Ryan Miller's career history, you can find a 20 game sample with play that good. Quick might've just become one of the league's elite goalies, or he could be a decent goalie on a huge hot streak, which happens all the time.

And Cam Ward haha.

Goalie performance is pretty random, but it's not THAT random. There is persistence. I think you all are overstating how chaotic it can be. Cam Ward hasn't had a sv% below .915 the past 4 years, so he's a poor example imo for what you're talking about.

Quick has had a pretty great start to his career, this isn't just a Gigeure/Halak hot playoff goalie situation. This contract could easily become a mistake and I think the Kings D doesn't get enough credit for his performance this year, but I don't expect him to suddenly become a below average goaltender.

Goalie performance is pretty random, but it's not THAT random. There is persistence. I think you all are overstating how chaotic it can be. Cam Ward hasn't had a sv% below .915 the past 4 years, so he's a poor example imo for what you're talking about.

Quick has had a pretty great start to his career, this isn't just a Gigeure/Halak hot playoff goalie situation. This contract could easily become a mistake and I think the Kings D doesn't get enough credit for his performance this year, but I don't expect him to suddenly become a below average goaltender.

He hasn't, though. I mean, LA undercounts shots, but Quick has 1 top 10 save percentage season: this one. There really isn't much persistence.

Cam Ward's last 4 seasons - one is above average, the rest are average. That's the point. The Kings might expect Quick to be a .925 goalie going forward, but if he's a .915 goalie this deal doesn't look good at all. I think it's as good of a deal as they could hope to sign, but it's a giant risk.

He hasn't, though. I mean, LA undercounts shots, but Quick has 1 top 10 save percentage season: this one. There really isn't much persistence.

Cam Ward's last 4 seasons - one is above average, the rest are average. That's the point. The Kings might expect Quick to be a .925 goalie going forward, but if he's a .915 goalie this deal doesn't look good at all. I think it's as good of a deal as they could hope to sign, but it's a giant risk.

"Life is risk.....Go away." (not an easy one as I'm leaving out a small part).

I rather have Chris Mason over Steve Mason at this point. Steve's confidence is beyond repair.

Speaking of Quick however - I saw this on HF and had a good laugh:

55f1z.jpg

I meant remember Steve Mason had a phenomenal rookie season and fell off. Quick isn't certified solid gold like our #30.