Thoughts from the game

'7'

FROM NHL.COM I also heard wfan on the way home say it was a sellout. Again, do not judge by the "empty seats." With new arena's, looks can be deceiving. Many people are at the bar drinking watching the game, or eating food at the lounge.

The goal bar and fire and ice lounge seats have nothing to do with the rows of seats that were empty by 118, there were scattered empty rows in that end of the $65 section and the lower corners that never got filled.

But even if the real number was say 16,500 or 17,000 that's still excellent for Game 1 of the playoffs, a midweek game against Carolina that people thought might get 14,000 (and probably would have at the CAA).

Edited by NJDevs26

The Devils were clearly the better team. Canes seemed outmatched physically. The only time they showed any life was right before they scored their goal in the 3rd, but Langs answered right back immediately and the rally was pretty much dead. I totally agree about how the Canes D is soft, they need to get nasty if they want to win.

As to individual players, I thought Rolston played well. At the very least his effort was there. Madden and Pandolfo were both good last night. All the devils played very well, there was no one who I thought did not contribute.

The Devils were clearly the better team. Canes seemed outmatched physically. The only time they showed any life was right before they scored their goal in the 3rd, but Langs answered right back immediately and the rally was pretty much dead. I totally agree about how the Canes D is soft, they need to get nasty if they want to win.

As to individual players, I thought Rolston played well. At the very least his effort was there. Madden and Pandolfo were both good last night. All the devils played very well, there was no one who I thought did not contribute.

Although you points may be valid after last nights game, its only one game!!!! Im sure the canes will come out hungrier and looking to tie it up friday night.... its a long best of 7 series. anything can happen. but yea we are starting to see the devils team we got used in febuary and march. :koolaid:

Also, Zubrus was invisible the entire game. Made bad decisions with the puck and was just lax all around.

I'll have to agree there a bit. Zubbie didn't have a great game.

on the Flip side.. Gio played like a maniac. He was all over the ice. Defensively, checking, speed, etc. Great job there.

Scoops

Also, Zubrus was invisible the entire game. Made bad decisions with the puck and was just lax all around.

I was going to make this post

He is holding back Gionta and Elias.. too bad Rolston is to weak and slow to play there

I was going to make this post

He is holding back Gionta and Elias.. too bad Rolston is to weak and slow to play there

Honestly I thought Rolston did not have a great game at all. Several turnovers that I noticed and not enough pressure on the puck from him. JUst my opinion though...

A truly dominating performance by our boys. I hope they carry this work ethic and momentum through the entire playoffs.

Ward is gonna be tough, but if we keep screening and peppering him with shots, he'll wear down.

GO DEVILS!

Random thoughts: I remember blowing out Dallas in game 1 of the SCF in 2000 and coming back and losing game 2. Overall, it ended well, but one game does not a series make.

After years of hearig all the cr*p about how we never sell out in the first round or two unless we play the Rangers/Flyers I prefer hearing that we were sold out. If seats were bought but not filled, I could care less. The place looked filled up for the most part, at least from section 101 it did, and if the media wants to say we were sold out let them. It's better then hearing about all the empty seats during our playoff runs at the old CAA. More importantly the players liked the feel of the place and the crowd reactions.

Again, that *has* to be incorrect, because there were MANY empty seats in the upper section-- the upper section does not have access to these "bar's and lounges".. trust me <_<

I sat in section 120 and two guys got out of their seats at the start of the 2nd intermission and came back with 6 minutes left in the 3rd period. WTF where were they? haha. It's true the upper seats don't have access to the bars etc but still for the most part the facility was full. In any stadium there will be empty seats but for this economy our fans came out and supported our team.

Scoops

Again, that *has* to be incorrect, because there were MANY empty seats in the upper section-- the upper section does not have access to these "bar's and lounges".. trust me <_<

No... but the upper levels have access to the restaurant with a better view of the game and good food. At the Prudential Center you cannot go by the 'empty seats' like back in the day of CAA. The Prudential Center you can watch the game from the restaurant and also watch it from the lower concourse from behind the goal opposite of the goal bar. I believe it when they say it is sold out and tickets were purchased. It is nice to see Game 1 of Round 1 sold out.

After years of hearing all the crap about how we never sell out in the first round or two ... The place looked filled up for the most part ... if the media wants to say we were sold out let them. It's better then hearing about all the empty seats during our playoff runs at the old CAA. More importantly the players liked the feel of the place and the crowd reactions.

Great post! I agree 100 percent!

We all knew that a major key to beating the Canes was staying out of the box. The Devils did exactly that for most of the game last night and were able to win. As the game wore on it looked like the Canes were diving more and more, so kudos to the refs for not falling for it. The discipline needs to be maintained for the Devils to have a shot at winning this series. Great start.

As for the attendance, I was as surprised as anyone that the game was a sellout ... there were definitely small chunks of empty seats scattered around the arena. But the key is that the balconies and center ice-mezzanine seats were fairly full. If those seats sell, then a sellout isn't as surprising anymore.

I tend to think so, but I also think Carolina is a better team than what we saw last night. I expect a much tougher game tomorrow.

Precisely! This series is far from over. All we have proved (thus'far) is we can win as many playoff games as we won last year.

Devil fans... Do not judge the Hurricanes by the slop they put out on the ice last night!