GDT: 4/21/12, Game 5 Quarterfinals (6) NJD @ (3) FLA

Devils Pride 26

i concur that there is certainly blame to go all around and it's been hit on in this thread. if we'd like, we could have a 3 page thread on the fact that henrique has been an absolute zero for about 25 games now but marty is always going to be the focal point as any goaltender is. volchenkov got his own thread (it helped that his gaffes were pretty glaring) to win in the playoffs, unless you have an unreal offense like philly and chicago a couple years ago, you need your goaltender to make EVERY save he should make and most of the ones he shouldn't.

sure the offense didn't show up last night. but if marty gets to the versteeg goal (actually he did get there, he just had bad form and it got through him on the low side post), its a 0-0 game. and the second goal just ended any chance. at 0-1, there's always a chance until the final horn.

game 3 was such an abortion that he deserves a ton of blame on the current state of the series. and to those that point to marty's stats, the sv% is built up a lot by FL's over counting of shots.

injuries are clearly an issue for kovalchuk and clarkson, and to a lesser extent volchenkov. zajac has not been good this series and gets a pass with his injury. sykora has nothing but his shot at this point.

the fact is, the devils were going to be hardpressed to win a series if marty wasn't their best or 2nd best player. with how well the d has played and elias and zubrus, you can't say marty has been one of their best players.

i concur that there is certainly blame to go all around and it's been hit on in this thread. if we'd like, we could have a 3 page thread on the fact that henrique has been an absolute zero for about 25 games now but marty is always going to be the focal point as any goaltender is. volchenkov got his own thread (it helped that his gaffes were pretty glaring) to win in the playoffs, unless you have an unreal offense like philly and chicago a couple years ago, you need your goaltender to make EVERY save he should make and most of the ones he shouldn't.

sure the offense didn't show up last night. but if marty gets to the versteeg goal (actually he did get there, he just had bad form and it got through him on the low side post), its a 0-0 game. and the second goal just ended any chance. at 0-1, there's always a chance until the final horn.

game 3 was such an abortion that he deserves a ton of blame on the current state of the series. and to those that point to marty's stats, the sv% is built up a lot by FL's over counting of shots.

injuries are clearly an issue for kovalchuk and clarkson, and to a lesser extent volchenkov. zajac has not been good this series and gets a pass with his injury. sykora has nothing but his shot at this point.

the fact is, the devils were going to be hardpressed to win a series if marty wasn't their best or 2nd best player. with how well the d has played and elias and zubrus, you can't say marty has been one of their best players.

If they can't win this series with their goalie being at worst, a draw with the opponent goalies, they freaking suck and Florida is doing them a favor.

If they can't win this series with their goalie being at worst, a draw with the opponent goalies, they freaking suck and Florida is doing them a favor.

what the hell does this mean? its like you're saying there's no honor in winning a series you shouldn't for whatever reason. or that you'd rather go down now than get blown out in round 2. both are preposterous. if you told me right now, i'm guaranteed to win the next two and get to round two, where the rangers will sweep with average scores of 4-0, i'd take it right now.

the playoffs have so much luck involved, its not even funny.

oh and to earlier saying the bernier goal on clemmer was sh!t, i totally disagree. doesn't matter that he's not a goal scorer - that was a snipe and not a bad goal by any stretch. the 4 goals clemmer gave up - i have no problem with any of them from clemmer's standpoint.

That or there are a lot of injuries with this team. But I don't think goaltending has been a draw at worst. Some Brodeur goals and the one Hedberg let in have been worse than any Theodore and Clemmensen goals.

If Kovalchuk has anything left in the tank. You'll have to think we see it in game 6 and 7. I don't expect much of anything from Henrique, Sykora. Pony or Clarkson. I expect something from Kovy. If not, he has to be really hurt.

That or there are a lot of injuries with this team. But I don't think goaltending has been a draw at worst. Some Brodeur goals and the one Hedberg let in have been worse than any Theodore and Clemmensen goals.

If Kovalchuk has anything left in the tank. You'll have to think we see it in game 6 and 7. I don't expect much of anything from Henrique, Sykora. Pony or Clarkson. I expect something from Kovy. If not, he has to be really hurt.

Give me a break. This is exactly what I mean. It's been at worst a draw and you guys can't even admit to that. Clemmer gives up 4 goals in a game and none of it is his fault, when he gets beat by noted sniper Steve Bernier. Trust me, if Marty gave up that goal there would be 14 threads about it on here. Clemmer's game essentially was a bust. And Theodore has been caught swimming numerous times in the series. He had a heroic period in which he gave up 3 goals. Ultimately, it wasn't enough anyway.

Give me a break. This is exactly what I mean. It's been at worst a draw and you guys can't even admit to that. Clemmer gives up 4 goals in a game and none of it is his fault, when he gets beat by noted sniper Steve Bernier. Trust me, if Marty gave up that goal there would be 14 threads about it on here. Clemmer's game essentially was a bust. And Theodore has been caught swimming numerous times in the series. He had a heroic period in which he gave up 3 goals. Ultimately, it wasn't enough anyway.

again, who cares that it's bernier who had the great shot. am i killing marty on the PP goals against where a puck bounced to a guy and left an open net? no i am not. and i wouldn't kill clemmer if i was a panthers fan because they were all very good shots.

perhaps i'm just jealous. i'm watching this kings/canucks series and the goaltending (w/o bobby lou) has been outstanding.

Marty getting held to a higher standard than Scott Clemmensen or Jose Theodore? Alert the media. In other news, dog bites man.

Even if it was a draw as you say max, that's still bad enough. I mean, Clemmensen is a career backup and Theodore - well the last time we saw him in the playoffs he was getting the hook after one game with the Caps, and he sucked balls down the stretch this year. While Marty's the 'greatest ever' and has been bad in the playoffs almost every year since the lockout, or at least had a bad series in the playoffs.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Wonderful, the stats over five games really tell the story considering he got pulled early when he was leaking goals, plus he was much better against the Flyers two years ago and had **** numbers.

Ok, he got pulled once in 5 games and I admitted he was bad in that one. None of the other games were his fault, even game 2 where the Samuelsson shot trickled through. The team picks and chooses when they try and its usually too late

Marty has never, ever been one to get emotional after goals. His attitude "If it goes in it goes in." It's in the past and all he can do is try to stop the next one. When he's winning, people call it calmness and confidence. When he's losing, he doesn't care apparently.

Yeah, looks like Marty's going to get shredded by some no matter what he does. Game 3 was clearly brutal, but overall he hasn't been nearly as bad as some are making him out to be. It seems like moreso than ever, some Devils fans are just looking to pounce on anything and everything they can find regarding Marty. So be it.

Kind of hard to win when your team gets shutout anyway.

Not going to kill these guys when the series ain't over yet, easy as it could be to do so. I still want to see Game 6, and hopefully Game 7 beyond.

a quick side note. i'm all pissed at the loss, so i figure i will go watch a movie and forget it ever happened. I had the girl with a dragon tattoo on dvd i wanted to watch, great, pop that bad boy in and no more hocke.... AAAA what the fvck is this.... written by Larsson. SHWH@^#^#&$&$&

As much as I was really pissed at Marty the last game, I have to admit he didn't get much help on offense in that game as well. I'm done with game 5 now.

While I still highly doubt they will win this series, I have my hopes. I am looking for a great bounceback the next game to force a game 7 where we can pull out a win.

I have a good feeling about game 6. Game 7, another story :)

This isn't the Flyers or Rangers of a few years ago - we can skate with this team and we are as talented to win. Are we as healthy and getting the performances out of our players to win the series - i don't know. We shall see.

As much as I was really pissed at Marty the last game, I have to admit he didn't get much help on offense in that game as well. I'm done with game 5 now.

While I still highly doubt they will win this series, I have my hopes. I am looking for a great bounceback the next game to force a game 7 where we can pull out a win.

I mean if I really look at game 5, crappy second goal aside its a 1-0 game with their goal coming on the PP and I thin the refs really screwed us on several of those penalties..

Just like game 3, and I think our guys are now afraid to play hard because everything is getting called.. I mean, Carter's boarding call? The fvcking guy fell on his own.. It's like they see the BS going on in other series and are looking for it in ours

Anyway, if we win Tuesday it's a game 7 and a toss up in my opinion.. Win Tuesday and we can definitely take this series.. I just hope the refs will chill out

Tom Gulitti ‏ @TGfireandice

Panthers sell rats at games, collect them when thrown on ice, resell, and then blame (Devils) fans for throwing them.

Tom Gulitti ‏ @TGfireandice

RT @OnFrozenPond: #njDevils fans throwing rats on ice during late face off forced #FlaPanthers to not sell rats at arena anymore.

rofl...so Devil fans get blamed for everything, from stinkbombs in Philly to rats in Florida...what's next?

rofl...so Devil fans get blamed for everything, from stinkbombs in Philly to rats in Florida...what's next?

Whatever. It's a "tradition" from that time they won nothing. Why does every team need to throw crap on the ice and call it a tradition nowadays.

I'm sure this has been debated ad nauseum but Game 5 could have been 3/4-0 at that point if not for Marty. The result sucked but I hang the loss on the team, not just #30.

Everyone sucked but we still had a chance to win the game until Marty's gaffe misreading the puck on the second goal.

Kind of funny how we got blamed for that. Why would we want to include ourself in their stupid tradition?

I was there and didn't see any Devils fans doing it so I feel like those Devils fans claiming to have done it on Twitter are bluffing. I guess it's easier to just blame Devils fans rather than actually solving the problem of your own fans throwing what equates to trash on the ice during play. I know I sure as hell didn't throw any stupid fvcking rats, the only thing I threw was their disgusting rally towel into a trash can.