Bernier

smelly

Refs changed the course of the game by missing the call on Stoll. That said, one of the staples of this Devils postseason has been staying cool and not retaliating. Bernier looked like he was retaliating.

It cost us the game, and a chance at the Cup. Combined with his ridiculous dive on the non-highstick in the Rangers series, he's embarassed the crest on his chest twice in these playoffs.

Thanks for being part of the most memorable 4th line since the Crash Line, but don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.

The PK was at fault on two, Marty was at fault on one. I'm annoyed at the PK for its bad play the whole playoffs but whatever.

As far as Bernier, at first I was of the mindset of well he can't come back, it's a Tom Glavine-type situation but really, if we're going to say it shouldn't have been a five, then we can't then rag on him for taking a five and say he cost us the series. Besides, he feels bad, this team got as far as it did by standing by each other so we might as well stand by all of them now. Not nineteen out of twenty, all twenty.

Let Bernier come back and have a chance to redeem himself. This is hockey, it's more forgiving than baseball.

Refs changed the course of the game by missing the call on Stoll. That said, one of the staples of this Devils postseason has been staying cool and not retaliating. Bernier looked like he was retaliating.

It cost us the game, and a chance at the Cup. Combined with his ridiculous dive on the non-highstick in the Rangers series, he's embarassed the crest on his chest twice in these playoffs.

Thanks for being part of the most memorable 4th line since the Crash Line, but don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.

Bernier claimed he didn't even see the Gionta hit so it wasn't a retaliation situation.

mmm scuderi turned his back right before the hit... i don't get why people would sh!t on Bernier really

Yeah I don't get it either. If you watch the tape Bernier is already in his checking position when Scuderi starts to turn. Also, this "the puck wasn't there" is nonsense for two reasons.

1. The puck departs right before Scuderi is hit.

2. I have seen countless times when a player passes the puck and is checked long after and the response is "way to finish the check."

Quit the Bernier bashing already.

Had the first penalty been called on Gionta this whole sequence of events wouldn't have happened.

The PK was at fault on two, Marty was at fault on one. I'm annoyed at the PK for its bad play the whole playoffs but whatever.

As far as Bernier, at first I was of the mindset of well he can't come back, it's a Tom Glavine-type situation but really, if we're going to say it shouldn't have been a five, then we can't then rag on him for taking a five and say he cost us the series. Besides, he feels bad, this team got as far as it did by standing by each other so we might as well stand by all of them now. Not nineteen out of twenty, all twenty.

Let Bernier come back and have a chance to redeem himself. This is hockey, it's more forgiving than baseball.

Bernier claimed he didn't even see the Gionta hit so it wasn't a retaliation situation.

^^^This^^^

Again...that stick did clip him. It was a penalty. Correct call.

And the drunkest person on the board award goes to....Carpathian!!!

Um, I don't drink. I'm as sober as the day is long.

After Steve Smith scored in his own net in the Conference Final I'm sure fans were calling for his head. I advise you watch the footage because it is brutal. I believe it even happened on Oiler ice. Steve Smith is openely crying on the bench and to add to the pain it was his birthday.

However, the team didn't turn their backs on him and he wasn't traded or dumped off somewhere.

As a matter of fact, the next year when the Oilers won the cup, Gretzky handed the trophy off to Smith first which, imo, is not only a character move, but also a true sign of sportsmanship.

3Cups, did you see the Devils playoffs opening montage on the scoreboard with the Patton quote. Every man is a vital link in the chain, they eat, sleep and fight as a team. To purely blame this all on Steve Bernier is not only dumb, it's just not what true sportsmanship is about. The Devils could have weathered the 5 minutes better, but they fell apart during the 5 minutes. That is not on Steve Bernier.

If anything this season proved is that you win as a team and you lose as a team. I say re-sign Bernier and allow him to redeem himself.

Lou loves 1st round flameout reclamation projects. Bernier fits the bill, big, strong...decent skillset. Had some success at the NHL level. He could be like a mix of Rupp and McKay. We should keep him around

want Rod Pelley back on the 4th line? How about Tim Sestito?

Edited by '7'

I'm not going there, I'm really not. Bernier wasn't trying to sell a call, it was a natural reaction when the stick is inches from your eyes.

And I'm not taking him off the hook tonight. I'm not going there.

But yeah, I should be OK with him by training camp should he still be here. Just not now.

Carp and 7 are right, what Steve Smith (a then-rookie defenseman) did was a lot worse than Bernier's penalty that got turned into a five-minute major by overofficious refs. And Bernier didn't pull a Tom Glavine and say, hey there are more important things than a game either.

Um, I don't drink. I'm as sober as the day is long.

After Steve Smith scored in his own net in the Conference Final I'm sure fans were calling for his head. I advise you watch the footage because it is brutal. I believe it even happened on Oiler ice. Steve Smith is openely crying on the bench and to add to the pain it was his birthday.

However, the team didn't turn their backs on him and he wasn't traded or dumped off somewhere.

As a matter of fact, the next year when the Oilers won the cup, Gretzky handed the trophy off to Smith first which, imo, is not only a character move, but also a true sign of sportsmanship.

3Cups, did you see the Devils playoffs opening montage on the scoreboard with the Patton quote. Every man is a vital link in the chain, they eat, sleep and fight as a team. To purely blame this all on Steve Bernier is not only dumb, it's just not what true sportsmanship is about. The Devils could have weathered the 5 minutes better, but they fell apart during the 5 minutes. That is not on Steve Bernier.

If anything this season proved is that you win as a team and you lose as a team. I say re-sign Bernier and allow him to redeem himself.

Sorry, Bernier is nowhere near good enough to warrant bringing him back after that atrocity...

We will find another 4th liner just fine...

So long Bernier

Lou loves 1st round flameout reclamation projects. Bernier fits the bill, big, strong...decent skillset. Had some success at the NHL level. He could be like a mix of Rupp and McKay. We should keep him around

Yeah, like putting Cam Janssen or Eric Boulton in would have gotten us way better results than putting that bum Bernier out there. What was PDB thinking, putting a guy like Bernier into crucial game 6?

yea, the penalty sucked. but giving up 3 goals with a terrible penalty sucks even more.

Bernier contributed to a great forecheck in a huge way for his line. he was a force and i am glad he's been on this team.

If he doesn't take that penalty, i am almost positive this thread isn't created, which is why it should not exist- because it was one penalty

Sorry, Bernier is nowhere near good enough to warrant bringing him back after that atrocity...

We will find another 4th liner just fine...

So long Bernier

Yeah, that'll work. We'll find another 4th liner who has awesome chemistry with Gionta and Carter. You do know that our 4th line is as good as some team's 2nd and 3rd lines?

And I'm not taking him off the hook tonight. I'm not going there.

But yeah, I should be OK with him by training camp should he still be here. Just not now.

Hey I'm not saying it's not valid to hold it against him...I just shudder at the thought this was somehow deserved because of what may or may not have happened in the Ranger series, after all the crap the Kings did get away with (and all their whining about our players faking injuries when blood was drawn).

Sestito had eight great minutes in the playoffs this year lmao.

Yeah, it's tempting to say a fourth-liner is expendable but it took us long enough to find a fourth line this year. The fourth line cost us games in the regular season, probably was the reason guys like Kovy, Parise and Elias got worn down by the end of this run.

Yeah, that'll work. We'll find another 4th liner who has awesome chemistry with Gionta and Carter. You do know that our 4th line is as good as some team's 2nd and 3rd lines?

Bernier was the most replaceable of all the players on the line. Plug another guy in there with Carter and Lil Gio and we will be ok....

So much for benefit of the doubt. It was just a senseless, stupid followthrough. Maybe the NHL needs the same jerseys as the Pee Wees where there's a giant stop sign on the back.

I'm not going there, I'm really not. Bernier wasn't trying to sell a call, it was a natural reaction when the stick is inches from your eyes.

I don't buy it. I believe it was the next game where Josefson took a stick straight to the grill and he wasn't phased at all. And that's Josefson. New Jersey's own Mr. Glass.

Bye Bye, Bernie. I really, honestly do appreciate all the guts and heart you showed throughout 99% of the playoffs. But the other 1% was ugly and non-Devil enough to where I won't bemoan your departure.

Besides, let's be honest. After these playoffs, both Carter and Bernier will be courted by other teams. If I had to choose between the two as to who I'd be more willing to overpay and give $1M+ to in order to keep him, it's an easy choice. Carter.

So much for benefit of the doubt. It was just a senseless, stupid followthrough. Maybe the NHL needs the same jerseys as the Pee Wees where there's a giant stop sign on the back.

I don't buy it. I believe it was the next game where Josefson took a stick straight to the grill and he wasn't phased at all. And that's Josefson. New Jersey's own Mr. Glass.

Bye Bye, Bernie. I really, honestly do appreciate all the guts and heart you showed throughout 99% of the playoffs. But the other 1% was ugly and non-Devil enough to where I won't bemoan your departure.

Besides, let's be honest. After these playoffs, both Carter and Bernier will be courted by other teams. If I had to choose between the two as to who I'd be more willing to overpay and give $1M+ to in order to keep him, it's an easy choice. Carter.

+1

Carter > Bernier

And it isn't even close

Well who's ready to come up to take his spot from Albany next year? Is Whitney ready after one year (and leading the team in points)? Or do they go outside and sign a UFA for the 4th line?

Unfortunately the Devils foward depth sucks. Zharkov is probably going to the KHL, Whitney had a great year but is just 5'6 and was a rookie despite being 24 by the end of the year so he screams AHL guy, Zalewski could be a solid 4th line option for the Devils, Hoeffel and Wohlberg aren't ready, who knows what they'll get out of Tedenby going forward.