• Nov 12
    • Dec 12
    • Jan 13
    • Feb 13
    • Mar 13
    • Apr 13
    • Oct 13
    • Never

I dont know why everyone hates on Bettman, yes he was the commissioner for now the 4th lockout in his tenure. BUT he works for the owners, he is just doing his job. The owners would have any commissioner in this spot.

It is easier to hate on a single person who is easily visible rather than a group of 30 people, many of whom are either out of the spotlight or are actully a collection of owners for a single team rather than 1 guy in charge.

Yeah I definitely find myself on the players' side this time around.

Revenue sharing is the answer. The NHL should follow the NFL's example.

The players feel they are entitled to money that they don't deserve. Other then sports what other business in the world shares 50-50 with their employees?

I don't care about the owners either but they are the ones who pay all the bills. The players need a reality check.

I feel bad for all the people who work at the arenas making peanuts compared to these players that are going to be out of a job for however long this goes on. Those people and the fans are the only ones who really suffer here. The players are just on an extended vacation.

If this entire season gets wiped out I'll probably end up cancelling my season tickets and I'll just show up for playoffs and Martys last game and jersey retirement. Other then that I'll watch on tv for the rest of the time and I won't spend a dime on merch from the nhl.

After missing the entire 04-05 season and having this happen again so soon is complete bs. I'm sick of them all.

Edited by Satans Hockey

Ugh, this is so irritating...I just wish they could come to an agreement on that number. I think it's fair if the players number gets lower, but seriously, if the NHL thinks the players are going to take a salary rollback on contracts that both sides signed (some with very fresh ink), they're as delusional as the players are.

The players feel they are entitled to money that they don't deserve. Other then sports what other business in the world shares 50-50 with their employees?

I don't care about the owners either but they are the ones who pay all the bills. The players need a reality check.

It's just not that simple. I don't have much sympathy for either side, but from what little I understand it seems to me that the players' offers have been much more equitable than the owners' offers. And while I fully realize the owners pay the bills, the fact is they are only able to do so because people buy tickets to see the players. Nobody's buying a ticket to see the owners.

Edited by Brick Pig

It's just not that simple. I don't have much sympathy for either side, but from what little I understand it seems to me that the players' offers have been much more equitable than the owners' offers. And while I fully realize the owners pay the bills, the fact is they are only able to do so because people buy tickets to see the players. Nobody's buying a ticket to see the owners.

I don't have any sympathy for the owners either but they are the ones who have to pay for all the staff, medical, equipment and entire front office, traveling, hotels, arenas and staff, etc, etc, etc. Unless the players want to pay for 50% of those costs then they don't deserve 50% of the profits. The players are guaranteed their money no matter what happens, the owners aren't.

I don't have any sympathy for the owners either but they are the ones who have to pay for all the staff, medical, equipment and entire front office, traveling, hotels, arenas and staff, etc, etc, etc. Unless the players want to pay for 50% of those costs then they don't deserve 50% of the profits. The players are guaranteed their money no matter what happens, the owners aren't.

True, but I still say it isn't as simple a picture as the one you paint. We're not talking about the players getting 50% of all profits. We're talking about 50% of league merchandising. And, again at least as I understand it, the owners not only don't want to share it, but also in their opening bid asked the players to take a 24% rollback. This on top of a 24% rollback they agreed to last time.

If my employer came to me today and asked me to take a 48% salary cut over the next 8 years, but was going to continue to expect me to do the same amount of work at the same or greater level of competence, while he continued to make money hand over fist off the sweat of my brow, I'd have a significant problem with that.

Overall, I agree with your statement earlier in the discussion to the effect that they are all a bunch of rich crybabies. But it still seems to me that the offers made my the players are better and more equitable for the league as a whole, whereas the offers made by the owners seem to be more about grabbing every penny they can get.

True, but I still say it isn't as simple a picture as the one you paint. We're not talking about the players getting 50% of all profits. We're talking about 50% of league merchandising. And, again at least as I understand it, the owners not only don't want to share it, but also in their opening bid asked the players to take a 24% rollback. This on top of a 24% rollback they agreed to last time.

If my employer came to me today and asked me to take a 48% salary cut over the next 8 years, but was going to continue to expect me to do the same amount of work at the same or greater level of competence, while he continued to make money hand over fist off the sweat of my brow, I'd have a significant problem with that.

Overall, I agree with your statement earlier in the discussion to the effect that they are all a bunch of rich crybabies. But it still seems to me that the offers made my the players are better and more equitable for the league as a whole, whereas the offers made by the owners seem to be more about grabbing every penny they can get.

I hear ya. Sadly for us, the vast majority of our employers would tell us to get lost and hire someone else to take our jobs.

It is a signal of the times when a teachers strike in Chicago garners more national press than the NHL one. I hope for a quick resolution but expect to be watching Titans hockey for entertainment this winter.

ugh Titans. aren't they a Phailures farm team now?

ugh Titans. aren't they a Phailures farm team now?

They have been for pretty much their entire history but it really doesn't matter because the chance of any of those guys to actually make it to the Flyers is very low. Their fanbase consists of Flyers, Rangers, and Devils fans. If the lockout lasts all season I'll be going to a bunch of their games too, just like I did during the last lockout when the Titans won the Kelly Cup.

It is a signal of the times when a teachers strike in Chicago garners more national press than the NHL one. I hope for a quick resolution but expect to be watching Titans hockey for entertainment this winter.

Who needs education! Watching grown men on skates play around with a rubber disc is much more important!

Guess this confirms lockout incoming...

Devils assign 24 players to Albany

Assigned to Albany were: Matt Anderson, Jean-Sebastien Berube, Brandon Burlon, Bobby Butler, Maxime Clermont, Jeff Frazee, Eric Gelinas, Adam Henrique, Mike Hoeffel, Jacob Josefson, Dan Kelly, Keith Kinkaid, Adam Larsson, Jay Leach, Harri Pesonen, Tim Sestito, Mike Sislo, Mattias Tedenby, Alexander Urbom, Scott Wedgewood, Chad Wiseman, David Wohlberg, Harry Young and Steve Zalewski.

http://devils.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=641594

What a sad day for hockey

Last spring was pretty magical, people who weren't into hockey or the Devils were suddenly excited but now with a incoming lockout were losing all momentum.

Guess who I feel bad for....myself, you, businesses who depend on gameday revenue, and every NHL fan out there

• Like 1

We're all suckers. Hockey is our crack and the owners know this. We all talk a great game about protests, being pissed off, and such but the simple truth is we're all crack addicts and we need out fix.

Tonight at my birthday party at a local pub down this way my friends, a motley crew of mostly Caps and Penguins fans with a sprinkling of Sabres, Avs, Bruins, and Sharks followers, will toast the lockout at 11:59 p.m. doing an "EFF-YOU" shot of something terrible to the NHL. It's the least that we can do.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.