Weightlifting thread

here is a good supplement

drink a lot of milk and invest in a good protein powder

if you aren't gaining, it's probably because you aren't eating enough. you don't really need any supplements at all if you're just starting out - just a lot more food

when you get nutrition down and you have a good schedule and you start plateauing, then start thinking about adding supplements

here is a good supplement

drink a lot of milk and invest in a good protein powder

if you aren't gaining, it's probably because you aren't eating enough. you don't really need any supplements at all if you're just starting out - just a lot more food

when you get nutrition down and you have a good schedule and you start plateauing, then start thinking about adding supplements

What this guy said (well except for the milk I am lactose intolerant) but eating if probably more important than what you lift at the gym. Which is my big problem right now. A few years ago I was doing great on both parts. Slipped a disk in my back and I just can't seem to get back to it again.

• 1 month later...

took a couple months off from deadlifting, mostly because of my job. went back to it for the first time over the weekend and i nailed a set of 13 at 325. i was pretty happy with that even though it's down from my previous max. it was a lot more volume than i could do previously at that weight, anyway.

Edited by Nature's Minister

• 5 weeks later...

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/cn/ultra.html

Love this stuff, works great and is pretty cheap. I make it before I go to school for football weight lifting so its ready the second i get back. I add a scoop of peanut butter and it is something I would drink for the sole purpose that it taste good let alone how good it is for you. For lifting mostly only Tuesdays and Thursdays, it gets you through the week.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/cn/ultra.html

Love this stuff, works great and is pretty cheap. I make it before I go to school for football weight lifting so its ready the second i get back. I add a scoop of peanut butter and it is something I would drink for the sole purpose that it taste good let alone how good it is for you. For lifting mostly only Tuesdays and Thursdays, it gets you through the week.

Are the results really that much better than with just protein or even protein + creatine?

I'm a big peanut butter guy so I try and keep that in my diet daily for lunch if possible. Otherwise a turkey sandwich is a good bet for lunch. Breakfast is normally a bagel and a granola bar. Pasta is popular at my house along with chicken for dinner. So yeah, those 41 grams of protein are pretty important on lifting days. Thanks for the advice.

I heard some things things about creatine. I don't think I would ever use that kind of stuff because I only lift for football and hockey basically. Anyway, I've heard nothing but bad things such as, it kills your kidneys. Its all water-weight; when you stop using it, you lose most muscle. And some of the side effects are bad as or worse than roids in some cases.

that's all pretty much bullsh!t. as far as i know, there are zero studies that demonstrate any long term adverse side effects from creatine supplementation, and it's actually used in the treatment of a number of ailments. processing creatine into creatinine will not wreck your kidneys - it happens every time you eat meat.

also a lot of the visible gains from creatine are caused by water absorption into skeletal muscle. that is absolutely true, and it's not a permanent thing. but what creatine supplementation causes in addition to this is a demonstrable increase in burst power. you'll be able to lift a little bit more, or get an extra rep or two in. that will lead to actual gains in muscle hypertrophy - something that will last as long as you keep lifting.

edit: the only adverse side effect i've ever experienced or ever heard someone experiencing on creatine would be stomach cramps if you don't drink enough water with it. you can get some pretty terrible cramps, actually.

Edited by Nature's Minister

that's all pretty much bullsh!t. as far as i know, there are zero studies that demonstrate any long term adverse side effects from creatine supplementation, and it's actually used in the treatment of a number of ailments. processing creatine into creatinine will not wreck your kidneys - it happens every time you eat meat.

also a lot of the visible gains from creatine are caused by water absorption into skeletal muscle. that is absolutely true, and it's not a permanent thing. but what creatine supplementation causes in addition to this is a demonstrable increase in burst power. you'll be able to lift a little bit more, or get an extra rep or two in. that will lead to actual gains in muscle hypertrophy - something that will last as long as you keep lifting.

edit: the only adverse side effect i've ever experienced or ever heard someone experiencing on creatine would be stomach cramps if you don't drink enough water with it. you can get some pretty terrible cramps, actually.

That's pretty much what I've read about creatine too. I've also read that the extra water in your skeletal muscle helps with your recovery time.

I've been taking it on and off for a few months now along with protein (I heard it's better to cycle on and off than to just use creatine all the time). I definitely notice a difference both in how I look and in my ability to lift more at the gym. When I stop taking creatine, I don't get any weaker but I definitely don't increase the amount I'm able to lift nearly as quickly. I've never had any problems with cramping. I usually drink at least a liter of water during my workout and another liter afterwards along with whatever I drink throughout the day.

lol, do you take creatine? And have you also heard that it's better to cycle on and off with it?

i take creatine, but i take it all the time. i don't see any point in cycling off of it. it's cheap and it's not like it loses any efficacy that i know of.

and stomach cramps are from my personal experience. i used the um amplified creatine 189 pill stuff for a while, and one time i took four pills within an hour and forgot to really drink much water at all

it was like horrible gas.

when you're using creatine monohydrate, you need basically a big glass of water and a half glass or so of grape juice, so it's not quite as easy to have your water intake stunted.

Thanks for the tip. It is the monohydrate that I'm taking (the unflavored stuff mixed in with my post-workout protein shake). Does the grape juice help your body absorb the water instead of just passing so much of it?

warm water and something to spike your insulin are necessary for optimum creatine uptake

that's why all the overpriced creatine mixes contain like 40 grams of sugar.

if you don't like grape juice, gummi bears are pretty effective.

warm water and something to spike your insulin are necessary for optimum creatine uptake

that's why all the overpriced creatine mixes contain like 40 grams of sugar.

if you don't like grape juice, gummi bears are pretty effective.

Ah OK, thanks.

insulin spiking also increases protein absorption so you should do it after an intense workout, about twenty minutes before drinking a protein shake anyway

OK, so what's the proper timeframe for taking supplements? I've been doing the protein shake right before leaving for the gym, then protein + creatine immediately afterwards. Should I drink some juice about 20 minutes before the pre-workout shake and then maybe creatine + juice after the workout with protein 20 minutes later?

drink the shake pre workout whenever. maybe five minutes before the workout just to let it sit for a second.

the second shake, after your glycogen stores have been depleted, needs to be preceded by something sugary. you won't gain fat while your body is still scrambling to replenish its reserves, so you can safely cause the spike. 20 minutes between end of workout and drinking the shake is reasonable.