2015 Draft Thread

thefiestygoat

With all the rankings and lists coming out, as well as various junior seasons already underway, I figured I'd start this thread.

NHL CSS Preliminary 2015 Players to Watch

Hockey Prospect's September Top 30

Future Considerations September Top 30

Craig's List (Craig Button) for September Top 40

Corey Pronman's Top 30 (ESPN Insider)

Draft Buzz Top 30 for September

OHL Prospects Preseason Top 30 (OHL) Prospects

Top 3 of McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin seems to be the consensus early on.

On Thursday (9/25) the NHL Network will broadcast the USA Hockey All-American Prospects Game at 7 PM. Here are a few names to watch out for from Future Considerations.

EDIT: Forgot to add that as of right now the Devils have picks in the following rounds: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 6th

Edited by thefiestygoat

I could be wrong, going off the top of my head, but was there a rule change for this draft, where every team gets a shot at the #1 overall pick (obviously the top teams getting a VERY small chance at snagging that pick)? 

they'll have a chance but the % they are getting is really really really low.

So technically that means that if that rule would have been in place in 2011 we would have had the first overall pick. I'd be way happier with RNH or Langeskog today than with Larsson so far. But thats that lol cmon Adam

Edited by SterioDesign

they'll have a chance but the % they are getting is really really really low.

So technically that means that if that rule would have been in place in 2011 we would have had the first overall pick. I'd be way happier with RNH or Langeskog today than with Larsson so far. But thats that lol cmon Adam

Funny thing is leading up to the draft, I remember many saying Larsson could go #1 overall...I also remember just about everyone being thrilled about him falling to the Devils (and his then making the team right away). 

Anyway, we know the deal with him...this is a big year for him.  He'll be 22 1/2 years old by the end of this season, and though he'll still be young, if he doesn't show progress, the "but he's still young" line of defense will start to show the first signs of wearing thin.

Glad the Devils have a first-rounder and a second-rounder this year.  Some old bodies on the big club are going to be moving on very soon.

Funny thing is leading up to the draft, I remember many saying Larsson could go #1 overall...I also remember just about everyone being thrilled about him falling to the Devils (and his then making the team right away). 

Anyway, we know the deal with him...this is a big year for him.  He'll be 22 1/2 years old by the end of this season, and though he'll still be young, if he doesn't show progress, the "but he's still young" line of defense will start to show the first signs of wearing thin.

Glad the Devils have a first-rounder and a second-rounder this year.  Some old bodies on the big club are going to be moving on very soon.

yeah true we were all thrilled cause all the info we got on the guy back then was from scouts who were really high on him.

I'm simply "worried" about Larsson based on his "restrained tools set" that i can't see expanding that much. Not bashing the guy, not saying he's a bust but based on what i saw so far I can't see how he'd be a real impact player. His skating, shot, speed, grit will never get "that much" better. It's really important that he become super smart, confident and has the right positioning all the time. He might be fine, but like i said it's not unfair to be worried about some stuff.

His vision, poise and outlet passes are certainly his forte but by itself it "might" not be enough, well at least enough for what we all hoped for

Edited by SterioDesign

This thread is about the 2015 draft and you guys have managed to derail it in 7 posts.  Congrats.

Every non-playoff team has a shot for the #1 pick but they didn't reconfigure the odds until next year.  Interestingly I think the Sabres are way better than last year - they will have some competition for the bottom spot overall, someone like the Flyers or Flames could end up there for sure.

Edited by Triumph

This thread is about the 2015 draft and you guys have managed to derail it in 7 posts.  Congrats.

Every non-playoff team has a shot for the #1 pick but they didn't reconfigure the odds until next year.  Interestingly I think the Sabres are way better than last year - they will have some competition for the bottom spot overall, someone like the Flyers or Flames could end up there for sure.

Sorry for all the children in america who will be starving on christmas because we derailed slightly a topic on a message board during the slow season. We simply dont think of the consequences sometimes, its such a big deal. Thank god youre there.

Geez Tri, exaggerate much?  I brought it back to the topic at the end of my post to SD (about being glad that the Devils have 2015 first and second round picks, because I think they'll need them), SD posted ONE response about Larsson to mine (we weren't going to keep it the convo going beyond that), and instantly we're thread derailers.  I'd think you'd be happy that me and SD were having a civilized convo that didn't turn into me and him arguing about Lou's MO, which I'll admit we do too often, and I'm making a concerted effort not to do that anymore with him. 

Anyway, looking forward to seeing how the young kids progress...I admit I don't spend that much time "scouting", but fiesty's put up a nice list of links, so I plan on checking out these names as the season progresses.    

Early indications are that the top 2 or 3 kids are going to be really good.. not saying I'm pro-tanking, but this would be a year where I'd hope Lou would dismantle the team if they were outside the playoffs come trade deadline.

If Lou wants to stock up on mid-round picks for this draft should Devils look like they're going to be a non-playoff team, the opportunities will be there...lots of guys with expiring contracts (many of whom I'm guessing won't be back).  If Jagr's playing well, maybe the Devils get a second-rounder out of someone. 

feisty, is there a top 50 or even a top 100 list anywhere?  I know it obviously becomes more and more of a crapshoot as the list goes deeper, but I'm just wondering who might be out there if Lou were able to snag some extra picks in the 2nd-4th round range. 

Bob McKenzie's Top 15 just came out, includes notes by Craig Button.

If Lou wants to stock up on mid-round picks for this draft should Devils look like they're going to be a non-playoff team, the opportunities will be there...lots of guys with expiring contracts (many of whom I'm guessing won't be back).  If Jagr's playing well, maybe the Devils get a second-rounder out of someone. 

feisty, is there a top 50 or even a top 100 list anywhere?  I know it obviously becomes more and more of a crapshoot as the list goes deeper, but I'm just wondering who might be out there if Lou were able to snag some extra picks in the 2nd-4th round range. 

The list should get deeper when we get closer to December/January. I think Pronman does a Top 50 or something at the halfway point of the season and Button does tend to have his top 70ish out by then. NHL Central Scouting posts midterm rankings of hundreds of prospects in January which is when it gets easier to zero in on some mid-round guys.

Right now you can check out the NHL CSS Preliminary list and look at the prospects that have a "B" as potential 2nd/3rd candidates at this time or "C" for potential 4th-6th rounders.

I haven't had a chance to really get to know any of those guys but at quick glance I see both Sebastian Aho's are B prospects. The Finnish Aho is a 1st year eligible forward that doesn't turn 18 until after the draft and is already playing against men in Finland. The other is a small Swedish defenseman who was ranked 40th by Hockey Prospect and 31st by Pronman last year but didn't get drafted due to his size. Marshall may have an opinion on him since Aho plays in Sweden.

I also see former Devils draft pick Vili Sopanen (6th round, 2007) has a younger brother Eetu listed as a C prospect. Elite Prospects is listing this kid (turns 19 in late April) as a 6'5, 225 lbs. defenseman.

I'm certainly gonna keep an eye on Nicolas Roy, Jakub Zboril and Jordan Greenway this season when they play around here. Moncton, Bathurst, St-John and Halifax are all within a 3 hrs drive for me. 

Also gonna try to catch games where Brodeur is playing but with goalies it's always a gamble cause you're not sure they'll be playing. Don't want to drive 2-3 hours to stare at a guy on the bench opening the door for his buddies lol

Edited by SterioDesign

i know the top-end talent of this draft is high (McDavid/Eichel) but is it a deep draft as well? 

ColoradoRockies said "If Lou wants to stock up on mid-round picks for this draft should Devils look like they're going to be a non-playoff team, the opportunities will be there" but will those mid-round picks really be worth any sort of dismantling?

The Flyers? I don't think they'll be anywhere near the bottom.

• Like 1

i know the top-end talent of this draft is high (McDavid/Eichel) but is it a deep draft as well? 

ColoradoRockies said "If Lou wants to stock up on mid-round picks for this draft should Devils look like they're going to be a non-playoff team, the opportunities will be there" but will those mid-round picks really be worth any sort of dismantling?

The core players like Zajac, Schneider, Henrique, Greene, etc...they're all likely here to stay. I'm talking about guys who will probably gone after this season. The forwards are going to be a drastically different bunch by 2016....exactly four are under contract for the 2016-17. If the Devils are looking like a non-playoff team, might as well see what you can get for guys like Jagr and Ryder, neither of whom figure into the Devils' long-term plans. Can't hurt to have some extra 2nd-4ths for this draft.

The core players like Zajac, Schneider, Henrique, Greene, etc...they're all likely here to stay. I'm talking about guys who will probably gone after this season. The forwards are going to be a drastically different bunch by 2016....exactly four are under contract for the 2016-17. If the Devils are looking like a non-playoff team, might as well see what you can get for guys like Jagr and Ryder, neither of whom figure into the Devils' long-term plans. Can't hurt to have some extra 2nd-4ths for this draft.

I agree. With a few extra picks it would also be possible to move up a few spots in tree 1st rd if there's someone they really like.

I don't want the team to sell off everyone, but if 2/3 rd picks can be had for trading Salvador, Ryder, Zidlicky, Zubrus, Ruutu or Brunner, I'm all for it. Even if we are in the playoff picture I'd be ok with trading away one or two of those guys for picks anyways.

• 2 months later...