The Official 2014 Trade Deadline Thread

Derlique

it's kind of sad - you have every analyst under the sun chiming in that he's done - he's washed up - he's NOT the starter anymore nor will he be a starter on ANY halfway decent team. he's lost his playing time here. his stats are some of the worst in the league. WHAT is he seeing that we don't see? okay, cool, he still thinks he's an elite goalie. but does he truly think the ENTIRE world is wrong here? will he see it as a slap in the face if the friggen islanders are the only team who ends up showing interest?

it's hard not to get a little annoyed with the guy because of his ego. of course it screams of "what have you done for me lately" but still - it's cringe worthy. i really really really had hoped marty could have bowed out gracefully and accepted his demise but if this gets ugly, this will leave a sour taste in a lot of fans mouths.

to me really this trade deadline is the PERFECT occasion to get rid of Salvador, few teams are injured on D and if youre asking for a.... 4th for a guy signed for another year, who can be a decent shut down guy.. has leadership apparently... lol 

and it would make room for the kids. Get fvcking Larsson out of the AHL for the love of god.

No good team, or team on the cusp, will play a guy with a .899 save percentage in 10 of their last 19 or 20 games.

You're assuming he's even asking or expects to be traded to a good team.  It may very well be the opposite, that he'd prefer to go to a team that's barely in contention if not at all where he could get 10 starts to show that he still has something in the tank.  If the report that he gave a list of teams is accurate, it's probably something about the particular locations rather than the team's win-loss record. 

He might even accept a trade to Winnipeg.  Pavelec's numbers are actually worse than Marty's in some respects, and his save percentage is basically the same.  Probably not straight up for something, but part of a package.

Like I say though, I don't think he'll be traded.  For a name like that that is known to be on the market, someone that is half-way credible on twitter would have mentioned that a specific team has interest.  I haven't seen anything to that effect, so I doubt it happens.

Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib 2m

I'm hearing now Gaborik to #lakings is a done deal. Don't know for what

UPDATE:

Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib 1m

Hate to backtrack on Twitter (always fun), but now told Gaborik to #lakings is not quite done deal. Source is close to Gaborik tho

Edited by Weekes Head

No good team, or team on the cusp, will play a guy with a .899 save percentage in 10 of their last 19 or 20 games.

nowhere did I say good team. For that matter nowhere has Marty or anyone said that he'd only want to move to a good team. This 8-9 team list that's being speculated is anyone's guess. It could just as easily include Calgary buffalo and Nashville before Chicago minny and Anaheim.

Maybe, but I doubt it has much to do with the team meeting and practice. Probably a lot to go over from last game. It was a win, but it wasn't very pretty.

true. but it'll be interesting to see if marty is on the ice/not taking part/taking a day off/how the media reads into any of this/if he sneezes and breaks a hip...you know. im grasping at straws here. come on calm before the storm!!

it's kind of sad - you have every analyst under the sun chiming in that he's done - he's washed up - he's NOT the starter anymore nor will he be a starter on ANY halfway decent team. he's lost his playing time here. his stats are some of the worst in the league. WHAT is he seeing that we don't see? okay, cool, he still thinks he's an elite goalie. but does he truly think the ENTIRE world is wrong here? will he see it as a slap in the face if the friggen islanders are the only team who ends up showing interest?

it's hard not to get a little annoyed with the guy because of his ego. of course it screams of "what have you done for me lately" but still - it's cringe worthy. i really really really had hoped marty could have bowed out gracefully and accepted his demise but if this gets ugly, this will leave a sour taste in a lot of fans mouths.

It's been said a lot here, but the same confidence needed to be a top athlete is what keeps these guys playing too long. He's spent 20 years believing he is the best and trying to never doubt himself. It's not easy to just turn that off and ride off into the sunset, especially when 2 years ago he was in the finals. It can't be easy for him to accept that that run was his last gasp, but it clearly was. This is where Lou and Deboer have to step in and make the decision. Start Schneider 95 percent of the time, give Marty his last 2 or 3 games, and then Lou has to make the tough decision and tell Marty they won't be re-signing him.

Also, I want to point out that for every inflammatory quote people take from Brodeur, there are telling ones that get ignored like when he was asked if he will play next year, and he said something a long the lines of  "we'll see. My heart says yes, but my body might not."  He sees some of it.

true. but it'll be interesting to see if marty is on the ice/not taking part/taking a day off/how the media reads into any of this/if he sneezes and breaks a hip...you know. im grasping at straws here. come on calm before the storm!!

It can't be more of a sh!t show than Luongo getting pulled from practice to be told, he wasn't going to be traded. 

Not to mention we''ll find out by noon if Lou claims Gomez...

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie10 secs

No official confirmations (yet) but hearing NYR are prepared to trade Callahan, plus 1st rd pick and 2nd rd pick for Marty St. Louis. Close.

This twitter thing is fun.

Anyone reccommend some reputable sources to follow on there to make deadline day more interesting?

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9

This twitter thing is fun.

Anyone reccommend some reputable sources to follow on there to make deadline day more interesting?

sh!t must be real bad between stevie y and st louis if they are totally okay with getting a pricey rental out of this. better stockpile some draft picks outta this deal if nothing else. ugh, and i like martin st louis too. so sad.

Part of me is laughing at how much they are paying for a 38 year old. And part of me is scared cuz St. louis in my mind is one of the great active devil killers, much like Kris Versteeg.

Edited by Sneax

Assuming St. Louis deal is finalized, I believe Tampa is looking at Callahan as a rental. No appetite for 6 years or $6M per. #Tradecentre

This would be insane for the Lightning.  A low first round pick and a second would essentially be the return for a guy like St. Louis.  They are a worse team this year with Callahan, who they evidently don't want to re-sign anyway.