block921

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 02:37 PM

LOL

http://www.nj.com/ne...r.html#comments

"The first phase of Baxter Park will cost $21.7 million and feature 90 residential units and 3,000 square feet of retail space. All of these units will be either affordable or Section 8, housing officials said."

Yeah then the middle class will slowly come in :) ..... Once the section 8 people are there then the crips and blood nitwits related to the section 8 voucher holders will move in and idiots will be hanging out on the streets trying to get their street creds which starts the violence all over again.

FAIL.
Just bulldoze the land and give it to NJIT or Rutgers to expand their campus so there is some return on investment... otherwise this plan is trash.

Hurry a new generation of hoodlums need a place to live and they are broke:

Edited by block921, 16 July 2011 - 02:39 PM.

#42 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:19 AM

No chicken shack(maybe), but low income housing and a 99 cent store further down.
EDIT: beaten to it^^^.

Youre absolutely right. The reason for Newark's crime is 99 cent stores and chicken shacks. If those stores werent there everyone would be outside singing kumbaya and helping the elderly cross the street :rolleyes:

Edited by devlman, 18 July 2011 - 09:20 AM.

#43 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,474 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:29 AM

Well they blew up the chicken shack in Newark last night ...

i know -- but I'm amusing myself contributing nothing of value.

I'm here for the party

#44 Have Another Donut

Have Another Donut

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:00 AM

[“Who is put off by seeing a fried chicken joint?? I mean, really. NYC has tons of these 'low-life stores' (your words, not mine) and that doesnt put off people from visiting it. Do you know why? Because people arent affected by it.”

Dude, it doesn’t matter. You’re comparing Newark to New York- one of the greatest cities in THE WORLD.
New York can have a million more low end fried chicken joints/pawn shops/99 cent stores than Newark and it still doesn’t matter-ITS NEW YORK.
Newark is struggling to change it’s reputation from a crime infested disaster to a thriving viable modern city. It’s moving in that direction, but it will take many years to do so.
It will NEVER be New York, and comparing it to New York in any way is ridiculous.
"Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat." Dr. Jerry Graham

#45 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,286 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:07 AM

With More Than 200 People Shot This Year, Newark Residents Say City Crime Is Getting Worse

http://newyork.cbslo...-getting-worse/

But hey, Newark is getting better isn't it!? Look at all those shiney new restaurants and bars!!

#46 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:08 PM

[“Who is put off by seeing a fried chicken joint?? I mean, really. NYC has tons of these 'low-life stores' (your words, not mine) and that doesnt put off people from visiting it. Do you know why? Because people arent affected by it.”

Dude, it doesn’t matter. You’re comparing Newark to New York- one of the greatest cities in THE WORLD.
New York can have a million more low end fried chicken joints/pawn shops/99 cent stores than Newark and it still doesn’t matter-ITS NEW YORK.
Newark is struggling to change it’s reputation from a crime infested disaster to a thriving viable modern city. It’s moving in that direction, but it will take many years to do so.
It will NEVER be New York, and comparing it to New York in any way is ridiculous.

Then compare it to all of America's large cities that bring in lots of tourists even though they have chicken shacks and 99 cent stores. I cant believe im having this conversation...

#47 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,286 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:39 PM

Then compare it to all of America's large cities that bring in lots of tourists even though they have chicken shacks and 99 cent stores. I cant believe im having this conversation...

Are you really going to compare LA or NYC or Chicago to Newark? Let's put Newark on a little more equal footing: Gary, Indiana, Detroit MI, and East St. Louis, MO.

Edited by DevsMan84, 18 July 2011 - 01:39 PM.

#48 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:04 PM

Are you really going to compare LA or NYC or Chicago to Newark? Let's put Newark on a little more equal footing: Gary, Indiana, Detroit MI, and East St. Louis, MO.

Its funny how surprisngly fast people lose grasp of the context of the discussion. On the other hand, it is the interenet, afterall, so its understandable. But, yes DevsMan, I was comparing Newark to other American cities that have chicken shacks and 99 cent stores, yet still attract tourists so that I could show that chicken shacks are not the root of evil and Newark's high crime rate (yes, we were having such a retarded conversation). Every city in America has low-class commercial property within its borders. It doesnt cause crime, nor does it prevent tourism. Looking at other U.S. cities within this narrow context shows this.

#49 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:48 PM

Those towns are either much worse than Newark or don't have assets like airports, seaport, sports arenas, concert halls, etc. Comparing Newark to ESL or Gary is ridiculous, are you kidding me? Now comparing it to Buffalo, Oakland, Baltimore or Cleveland is a different story.

Edited by Marv4Life, 18 July 2011 - 03:49 PM.

#50 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:32 AM

This is the dumbest argument I've seen on this board. Friend Chicken and the cheapo places like it are not exactly happenin places late at night. Have you guys ever seen Broad St at 12-1am, there's not exactly a ton of people hanging around. These places are ok, I've eaten at a couple and while clearly their cheap prices do attract people with lower incomes, this doesn't equate to scum and crime. This is stupid.

There literally is ZERO that can be done to get rid of the crime and drugs in Newark, it's a port city, this sh!t happens in these places. Look at every other port city, LA, NY, Baltimore, etc. It's the way it is. Removing the places that "criminals" maybe hang around at doesn't get rid of them, they just find another place to hang out at. There's no gain from shutting legit businesses down because "lowlifes" frequent it...

#51 66nexus

66nexus

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:19 AM

Kind of old news

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users