2011 NFL Thread

MadDog2020

How great is it that we can FINALLY start this thread?! Let's talk some NFL football baby!!! Gonna be a crazy couple weeks coming up!! Should be a lot of fun for everyone, so let's enjoy and celebrate the return of the NFL in this thread, as well as talk about all general NFL news and notes for the 2011 season here.

Edited by MadDog2020

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's to hoping the Fins sign either Ahmad Bradshaw or DeAngelo Williams. I'd prefer Bradshaw, as he is younger I believe. I'm also kinda hoping we make a play for Vince Young as well. Teams can begin negotiating with players and make "unofficial" deals starting tomorrow. Can. Not. Wait.

His running style didn't allow him to continue to be a beast more than the first few years he was a Cowboy. He's overpaid and probably the 3rd best running back on our roster right now.

I am a big fan running back by committee. I would love if we were able to keep McGahee and McClain.

I think with Romo healthy, the threat of Austin and Bryant make Jones, Choice and Barber that much more effective.

I though Barber had a bad foot injury all year that hampered him.

I am happy the NFL's back but I expect the rug to be pulled out from under me with all these Jet FA's (Braylon, Cromartie, Santonio, Brad Smith, Ellis) and being over the cap to start with. Tannenbaum's pretty resilient though so I don't think the Jets'll be completely decimated but they probably won't be the team they were last year.

I wonder if instead of seeing guys cut en masse they get traded to teams like Tampa and Cinci who are like $50-60 million under the floor. Maybe there'll actually be a few more trades than normal for this reason, plus a couple of QB's that are available.

I am happy the NFL's back but I expect the rug to be pulled out from under me with all these Jet FA's (Braylon, Cromartie, Santonio, Brad Smith, Ellis) and being over the cap to start with. Tannenbaum's pretty resilient though so I don't think the Jets'll be completely decimated but they probably won't be the team they were last year.

I wonder if instead of seeing guys cut en masse they get traded to teams like Tampa and Cinci who are like $50-60 million under the floor. Maybe there'll actually be a few more trades than normal for this reason, plus a couple of QB's that are available.

They only thing you have going for you with the Jets is that Ryan has an intangible element that makes players stay with him or join him. I heard Holmes will be highly sought after by the Deadskins, but who is their QB this year?

They only thing you have going for you with the Jets is that Ryan has an intangible element that makes players stay with him or join him. I heard Holmes will be highly sought after by the Deadskins, but who is their QB this year?

Well that'll be put to the test this year, whether players will REALLY take less to play for Rex. At least the Jets can restructure a couple of deals to get room (Harris, for one since he's currently under the franchise tag) but not having an exclusive window hurts teams with a lot of FA's. Then again I don't think any of those guys with the possible exception of Braylon and Ellis would sign before going UFA anyway.

Who knows who the Skins' QB will be, I assume they're giving Grossman another year unless they trade for someone (it won't be Kolb who's all but signed, sealed and delivered to Arizona, supposedly for Rogers-Cromartie and a pick).

Edited by NJDevs4978

Every free agent in the history of forever will be highly sought after by the numbnuts Dan Snyder. As long as Snyder and Al Davis are in the league, I don't have to worry about having the worst GM.

Or worry about the Redskins or Raiders as a competitive threat.

Teams can talk to FA's pretty much right away but nobody can officially sign till Friday 6 PM (aside from draft picks and undrafted FA's, who can sign tomorrow). I think trades can occur starting tomorrow as well. Cuts don't happen till Thursday though.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Teams can talk to FA's pretty much right away but nobody can officially sign till Friday 6 PM (aside from draft picks and undrafted FA's, who can sign tomorrow). I think trades can occur starting tomorrow as well. Cuts don't happen till Thursday though.

Thanks for the info! I'm looking forward to seeing how crazy things get!

Was very happy to wake up to this news this morning :D

I have an authentic white Mathews Chargers jersey on its way and should hopefully turn up this week.

I saw the Chargers play at Qualcomm last year against the Titans, one of the best experiences ever, really hope to get back next year to see another game.

Can't wait for the games to start flowing!

WHAT???? Mason and Heap are clutch receivers. I don't like this at ALL.

Heap is a walking injury, and "clutch" is nifty, but the dude runs a 40 like I walk one....not like Mason's a walking Super Bowl ring factory anyway......hell Michael Lombardi just called them the slowest offense he's ever seen on the field in years (least the receiving corps)

You give me grief for calling them a pop-gun offense, but those WR are embarrassing, seriously.......

Heap is a walking injury, and "clutch" is nifty, but the dude runs a 40 like I walk one....not like Mason's a walking Super Bowl ring factory anyway......hell Michael Lombardi just called them the slowest offense he's ever seen on the field in years (least the receiving corps)

You give me grief for calling them a pop-gun offense, but those WR are embarrassing, seriously.......

No way, dude. Didn't someone claim they were the best in NFL history? :P

Well I guess NFL defenders are slower than you as Heap had 15 yards per catch last year, 30 1st downs and 5 TD's.

He is a big game player as he lead all TE's in yardage, yards per game and first downs in last year's playoffs.

Last year was the first year since his injured 2007 that Mason didn't have 1,000 yards receiving only because we had another threat in Boldin taking his yardage.

We are a run first offense so we are never going to have "big" numbers.

No way, dude. Didn't someone claim they were the best in NFL history? :P

Not that I know of.

Well sounds like McNabb's going to the Vikings for a 6th rounder this year and a conditional 6th rounder the following year depending on performance. Damn, that's hideous for what was once considered to be a borderline HOF'er :lol:

I think he will return to his status as one of the top QB's in Minny. I think his season in Washington was an aberration due to the lack of support he had there on and off the field.

Well I guess NFL defenders are slower than you as Heap had 15 yards per catch last year, 30 1st downs and 5 TD's.

He is a big game player as he lead all TE's in yardage, yards per game and first downs in last year's playoffs.

Last year was the first year since his injured 2007 that Mason didn't have 1,000 yards receiving only because we had another threat in Boldin taking his yardage.

We are a run first offense so we are never going to have "big" numbers.

I don't know how any of those number have ANY bearing on the fact that the Ravens have the slowest and most prodding WR corps in the NFL (2.2 YAC for Mason in 2010), and Todd Heap's been on the injury report for like 3 years straight now.....seriously.......but hey keep pumping out the same team that never beats the Steelers when it counts B )

I don't know how any of those number have ANY bearing on the fact that the Ravens have the slowest and most prodding WR corps in the NFL (2.2 YAC for Mason in 2010), and Todd Heap's been on the injury report for like 3 years straight now.....seriously.......but hey keep pumping out the same team that never beats the Steelers when it counts B )

Mason is a possession receiver and typically just gets us first downs. Their is a huge difference between speed and separation from defenders. Speed is meaningless if you can't get open, so on that note our numbers speak for themselves.

You are correct about one thing, we can't seem to beat the Steelers when it counts, especially in the last seconds of a game. This will change.