The Battle of Brodeur

HellOnICE

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not reading this garbage either, just chiming in. Brodeur has played well this year. He's been fantastic and his numbers suck. That should tell you about the defense. He lets in 3 goals some nights and he's our best player, because it easily could of been 5-6 goals let in.

not reading through this retarded thread.

there's no defense in front of him. he's made a sh!tload of highlight reel saves this year. he's a legend.

watch the games, people.

I agree, I feel he has been playing fairly well despite the lackluster "defense" and nightly breakaways that result from turnovers. That having been said, I do agree that for his sake and the sake of the team, Hedberg should get more starts.

Edited by Biggie B

I agree, I feel he has been playing fairly well despite the lackluster "defense" and nightly breakaways that result from turnovers. That having been said, I do agree that for his sake and the sake of the team, Hedberg should get more starts.

i won't disagree, i just won't place the blame on him or moose for any losses at this point.

He's not the same player, but he's still decent. The d is actually better than in recent years (anyone remember the Vishnevski Brookbank pairing?), but Marty can't bail them out for their fvck ups anymore, or at least not as much as he used to. He's still a legit NHL starter who can make a highlight reel save sometimes, and when he's on he's still great. We just can't expect him to singlehandedly carry a bad team into the playoffs. We got spoiled. Now we have a human goalie, and tough as that is to watch, the other 29 teams have all done it in the past 20 years.

Deboer said that Marty getting pulled had nothing to do with his performance. It was to "get the teams attention" as he put it. That's why Marty is back in tomorrow.

If that's what it took, so be it...in a way it doesn't seem fair to Marty though, but hard to argue the results.

not reading through this retarded thread.

there's no defense in front of him. he's made a sh!tload of highlight reel saves this year. he's a legend.

watch the games, people.

And this is a moronic post.

No one disputes that Marty is a legend. There's no debate there. Everyone knows he is one of the very best to play the game. There's plenty of us who remember the Devils' goalies pre-Brodeur, and though there were some pretty good ones to suit up for the Devils (Resch and Terreri stick out...Burke had one nice run), suffice it to say none of them were close to Marty's level.

Hedberg has the same team playing in front of him, yet his numbers have been good. Marty's haven't. Yes, he's made some big saves. Yes, he still has highlight-reel moments. But the facts are what they are...he's approaching 40, with a career workload no other goalie has ever approached. I don't think he gets the automatic "he's Martin Brodeur, so he gets endless chances to be the de facto #1 goalie at the expense of the guy who's playing better right now."

My point is there's a guy who's playing pretty well in Hedberg. He's not better than Marty, but he's better right now. This could change in a matter of weeks, but why not ride Hedberg for a while, even if it's only for four or five games? I fully expect Marty would get more chances as the season went on...like someone else suggested, you can alternate hotter hands as the season progresses.

You know --- reading what you all have to say -- maybe Marty is being to easy on the defence. To patient too nice - taking too much on himself? BEcause it's sounding like there is more of a communication problem than a lack of skills. You can see they irritate him - he gets petulant but is actually saying anything to anyone?

I'm bummed because when I think of how Stevens was going out - his skill level faded a little but he still saw the game and from outside it seemed like he had more and more of his handprint on the team even as his skills decreased - he sought to provide value however he could and didn't get all bogged down with himself so much, you know? Marty sort of left that little space to be filled with doubt in his vision and skill. He surrendered some control and I dont know why or how...

dammit! it's 11pm and I'm TIRED and I'm wasting time thinking about a stupi :angry: good night.

Some stats, if anyone's interested (includes tonight's win):

Brodeur:

14 complete games, 7-7-0, 40 GA, 0.895 SV%, 0 shutouts, 846:15 TOI, 2.84 GAA

3 games started/DNF, 0-1-0, 6 GA, 0.750 SV%, 48:17 TOI, 7.46 GAA

0 games in relief

TOTALS - 17 GP, 7-8-0, 46 GA, 0.886 SV%, 0 shutouts, 894:32 TOI, 3.09 GAA

Hedberg:

13 complete games, 7-5-1, 34 GA, 0.910 SV%, 2 shutouts, 796:05 TOI, 2.56 GAA

0 games started/DNF

3 games in relief, 2-0-0, 3 GA, 0.938 SV%, 139:10 TOI, 1.29 GAA

TOTALS - 16 GP, 9-5-1, 37 GA, 0.913 SV%, 2 shutouts, 935:15 TOI, 2.37 GAA

Some stats, if anyone's interested (includes tonight's win):

Brodeur:

14 complete games, 7-7-0, 40 GA, 0.895 SV%, 0 shutouts, 846:15 TOI, 2.84 GAA

3 games started/DNF, 0-1-0, 6 GA, 0.750 SV%, 48:17 TOI, 7.46 GAA

0 games in relief

TOTALS - 17 GP, 7-8-0, 46 GA, 0.886 SV%, 0 shutouts, 894:32 TOI, 3.09 GAA

Hedberg:

13 complete games, 7-5-1, 34 GA, 0.910 SV%, 2 shutouts, 796:05 TOI, 2.56 GAA

0 games started/DNF

3 games in relief, 2-0-0, 3 GA, 0.938 SV%, 139:10 TOI, 1.29 GAA

TOTALS - 16 GP, 9-5-1, 37 GA, 0.913 SV%, 2 shutouts, 935:15 TOI, 2.37 GAA

Thanks. Pretty similar numbers...I think with this D there really isn't going to be much difference. When the D is playing tight, both Moose and Marty will put up stellar numbers. Both do make mistakes, but defensive breakdowns do play large role in all this.

Thanks. Pretty similar numbers...I think with this D there really isn't going to be much difference. When the D is playing tight, both Moose and Marty will put up stellar numbers. Both do make mistakes, but defensive breakdowns do play large role in all this.

Similar? .913 vs .886 SV% and 2.37 vs 3.09 GAA are not similar. Hedberg has without a doubt been the more consistent and all-around better goalie so far. I would be in favor of seeing him start a bit more often and not giving Brodeur any starts he doesn't earn. Marty has had a lot of defensive breakdowns in front of him, yes, but he hasn't been great this season, regardless.

Similar? .913 vs .886 SV% and 2.37 vs 3.09 GAA are not similar. Hedberg has without a doubt been the more consistent and all-around better goalie so far. I would be in favor of seeing him start a bit more often and not giving Brodeur any starts he doesn't earn. Marty has had a lot of defensive breakdowns in front of him, yes, but he hasn't been great this season, regardless.

The complete game numbers are closer...what has helped widen the gap is Hedberg doing a terrific job when Marty's been given the hook.

But I agree with what you're saying, and an .886 save% and 3.09 GAA is pretty bad in this era. I'm happy for Marty in that his last two games have been better, and right now I feel like any game where he gets a win is a moment to cherish, because we all know his career is winding down...he may play again next year (especially if he has a second half similar to last season's), but there's still a lot of this season to play yet.

Think it goes without saying that Marty will get the start tomorrow night, but I hope, at the very least, there's some kind of 50-50 split for the time being. Hedberg has earned at least that much.

I don't know about Marty playing tomorrow. Moose is pretty much always getting a game in a back to back situation and I doubt Marty wants to give up one of his last Montreal trips Saturday.

Who knows, maybe because of "special circumstances" (Nieds' jersey retirement, Montreal) maybe Marty gets both games. Just seems weird that he wouldn't get the start on a night like tomorrow.

Clemmensen started on Daneyko night, so that's not unprecedented.

Yeah, good and fair point.