SUPER BOWL SUNDAY!!!!

CRASHER

This is always a sad weekend in sports....football Sundays go away now until SEPTEMEBER (God it always hurts to say that....well aside of NFL Draft weekend and now they screwed THAT up too with the Thursday-Friday crap)....the weather sucks so no outdoor hockey, and the NHL is gutless and lets NBC put the games on at 12:30, I'm sorry, screw you NBC I ain't getting up early to have Cindy Crosby showed down my throat.... least I'm feeling better now (and yeah it was a nasty lil stomach bug that made me skip out on the NFC/AFC Championship weekend, the last real weekend of football we get)... but now we get the BLACK EYED PEAS oh boy.... gotta love Sports Entertainment in our Super Bowl.... least the game's gonna be good this year.... and I can't think of two better teams to have playing in Jerry's Palace that will infuriate Mister Botox more then the Steelers and Packers (people will love to say the Packers owned Dallas in the 60's and the Steelets owned them in the 70's but I will remind you the Cowboys owned them BOTH in the 90's so HA!)

How they got here:

The Packers got here the old fashioned way... whipped some ass, took lots of names and sent lots of home team fans home crying, taking out Mike Vick's dawg pound first, then dominating the Atlanta Falcons in the next home for Wrestlemania, and then out-uglying the Bears in a tough, nasty game in bad weather (it's always tougher to beat a team TWICE in their own arena ....more so within a month of each other.....)...no team in football's been hotter then the Packers and they ride this streak to the biggest of the big games!

The Steeler road was a little easier.... they won both games at HOME, out-willing a midly over-rated Ravens team who didn't have the one big play in them when it mattered most, and punching a very loud jets team in the mouth, and fending off a pretty scary 2nd half comeback that made me stop the Madden football games and put this game back on the big TV at home to ensure success and a fatty-food-free quiet and enjoyable Super Bowl!

Who they got:

I figured to give you something to read and since it's my last real write-up till I start previewing in the summer I thought I'd go position by position here:

QB:

No QB's been better all year then A-Rod has, and even when they needed him Flynn put down the clipboard, the disks of DOOM from that awful Tron remake and lead this team in an impressive outing with the Patriots and showed in a pinch if they needed him he can bring the goods too... but make no doubt about it.... no player means more to his team then A-Rod....well except maybe Big Ben... yeah they went 3-1 without him and his college-induced double-secret probation..... and yeah he doesn't put up the big numbers, but NO QB, finds a way, breaks a tackle and prolongs drives and finds A WAY TO WIN like Ben does (he just doesn't do it pretty, and he's not "what you want him to be" off the field, so people don't wanna give him credit... but this just in people, bad guys win too in the real world.....in a full football game I'd take A-Rod eight ways till Sunday, but in the last 2:00 down 4 and no timeouts, you gotta take Ben.... so all that talking and I gotta call this even...

Advantage: PUSH

RB:

A month ago this would be hands-down for the Steelers... Jackson stunk and the running game was all A-Rod scrambling and throwing screens.... enter James Starks...263 yards in the playoffs and a TD (A-Rod also has two rushing TDs, if you care).... and a balance to the Packer offense that was needed ever since Mike said "Ryan Grant will be fine... he's walking on the sidelines... OOPS)... however like I was saying, Mendenhall's been pretty good too and doing it arguably against better defenses and the veteran Mewelde Moore adds depth and a balance to the running game as well... and the Steelers need the running game more then the Packers do....

Advantage: slight edge Steelers

WR/TE:

The Packers have the best and deepest WR corps in football (take THAT Baltimore and team possesion WRs!!!)... Jennings could be the best consistent deep threat in football, and Donald Driver is their Heinz Ward (well without the dirtbag cheap shots after the whistle), you add in Nelson and James Jones as well as the Packers TE's you get as good as you got in the NFL.... don't get me wrong, Ward is mister possession WR (they do exist outside of the Ravens folks!)... Wallace is good and Sanders and Brown are VERY underrated players who can make big plays and get open will Big Ben is running from the law in the pocket...and Heath Miller is good too when he can keep his head attached (oh if only his name were Owen)....but the Packers are too good!!

Advantage: Packers

OL:

The Packer O-Line is good, balanced and deep... I'd count Pro Bowlers here but you KNOW I think the game is trash and any type of voting that allows fans to pick the best in the league is a waste of time....while the Steeler O-Line has been a MESS all year, and it's half the reason Ben HAS to run for his life back there....and the one good one (Center, Pouncey) left the AFC title game on crutches.... this is one of the few match-ups that goes in a landslide to one team (though the Steelers are built to compensate for it)... and as a Cowboys fan I'll be damned before I give Flozell Adams, the human false start... any credit for life....

Advantage: Packers (BIG TIME)

DL:

Both of these D-Lines don't put up alot of numbers (but in the 3-4 with the LBs these guys got they don't HAVE to and all they need to do is jam up the works and let the guys behind them run batty), combining for like 4 sacks total in the playoffs between the units that goes to show what I'm sayin.... though of these guys the one name that does stick out is BJ Raji because of his big plays and FAT MAN WITH BALL defensive touchdown... but that was just one guy making one big play.... either one of these units is capable of it, just seems more likely with the Packers do the big edge they will have on the Steelers O-Line.....

LB:

This is the strength of both of these defenses.... both sport All-Pro Players (Harrison and Matthews), both units get to the QB and cover and bust up big running plays and the other guys around them are good too.... no knock on Hawk, Mattthews, Bishop and Walden, but there's no better LB corps in football then Harrison, Woodley, Farrior and Timmons, the Packers do come close though.....

Advantage: Steelers (slight)

DB's:

Both teams teams make plays and win games in the secondary, for the Steelers it's pure Pola-molecules, as the Steelers are a bit weak in the corners (and it gets shown every time the patriots play them line up in 4 wide, spread out the D and expose the weakness), while the Packers have Charles Woodson (who is maybe the best blitzing CB in football now), and no DB has found the ball and ended games more then Tramon Williams has this post-season (two game-ending INTs and his plays in Atlanta and Phily iced both games)...the Steelers safeties are better, but the Packers make more plays in the secondary and I gotta give them the edge here....

Advantage: Packers (don't get me wrong Polamalu can still change this game on his own)

Special Teams:

I'd take both Packer kickers over the Steeler ones in a heartbeat, and the Steelers have let a few too many big kick returns come back of late, and the Packers are so damn deep it spills over into special teams too and they can make a play or two here while I don't think the Steelers really can.... I also trust Crosby (oh NBC must be glowing to hear Crosby's name) more then I do Shaun Suisham (oi, Redskin fans chuckle at THAT name)......

Coaching:

I'm not a big fan of either Tomlin or McCarthy to be honest... Tomlin gets too conservative at times, and the offense does get a little limited.... while McCarthy in the past has had some AWFUL brain farts in the 2:00 drills or late in games and clock management, that hasn't happened as much this year.... maybe that should be to the credit of the OC and DC under him (wait... crap the Packers don't HAVE an OC..grrrr, time to credit McCarthy)... and both teams have quite arguably the best DC's in the game in Capers and LeBeau...both get the most out of their guys and I guess that's all you can ask for.... I'm not giving any edge to experience in this game cause I think that stuff is crap and once the game is kicked off the better team wins......

So who the hell is gonna win??

I know that's alotta crap to read through to get to the two lines you probably care about right??? Well I think if you read through it you can see where I'm leaning anyway, I think it's the Packers time, they've been hot and doing it on the ROAD while the Steelers were gutting out games at home that they likely lose if they were on the road.... I do think it's funny the cold weather teams brought their weather to Dallas (and oh boy the media is whining about the weather NOW.... I CAN NOT WAIT to hear the bitching of a New Jersey winter a few Super Bowls from now (the one time I will embrace ten feet of snow just to skull-fvck that Super Bowl DISASTER)... but anyway, this is gonna be a game you'll be watching in the 4th Quarter with the game very much in doubt.... this is A-Rod and the Packers' time, and it's too fitting as Brett Fraud limps out into the sunset to face lawsuits and penile enlargment deals, that the team that kicked him to the curb rises to the very top in the NFL as he took them too once before......

Winner: PACKERS 31-27

That was a strange game....almost a body bag Super Bowl....lotta guys got hurt and didn't come back in that one

(was kinda funny to go to Laflamme in the 4th quarter and go OH sh!t I almost got the score right!!!

Had to get a kick out of A-Rod with the Lombardi in one hand and a WCW Replica Belt in the other :thumbsup:

I missed the winning SB box by as close as my prediction of the game though :rant:

Fun Super Bowl.... won't go down as an all time one.... same with the commercials..... sadly it may go down most for the musical botches.....

that girl from Glee should be executed for what she did to God Bless America :unsure:

Then Aguilera flubs the National Anthem.....

......and then Fergie ruins my theory that ANYONE can sing a G n R song and sound better then Axl Rose..... I was wrong I admit it!

Then Aguilera flubs the National Anthem.....

......and then Fergie ruins my theory that ANYONE can sing a G n R song and sound better then Axl Rose..... I was wrong I admit it!

Someone should tell that twat (Aguilera) that it's not always about showing off your vocal chops. We get it Christina, you can sing. Some songs benefit from restraint. I knew she was going to make it all about her, and that's exactly what she did.

And the Black Eyed Peas are just so God-awful. Painful to watch and even more painful to hear. And Fergie is such a fake...she can't sing without phony accents/affects...you get "sensitive Fergie" on songs like "Big Girls Don't Cry", and on others you get "Ghetto Fergie"...none of it comes off as genuine.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Someone should tell that twat (Aguilera) that it's not always about showing off your vocal chops. We get it Christina, you can sing. Some songs benefit from restraint. I knew she was going to make it all about her, and that's exactly what she did.

And the Black Eyed Peas are just so God-awful. Painful to watch and even more painful to hear. And Fergie is such a fake...she can't sing without phony accents/affects...you get "sensitive Fergie" on songs like "Big Girls Don't Cry", and on others you get "Ghetto Fergie"...none of it comes off as genuine.

Can't disagree with either....I do remember turning and going "I hate when people try to individualize the national anthem... just sing it as it's MEANT TO BE!"

(but I was still in such massive pain from the Glee whore she got a pass from me :P).....I swear I felt like I was hearing Brent Russo at Devils games :blink:

Least the "awful as the movie they were ripping off" (Tron) outfits distracted me till Slash came out... I was like ohhh SLASH.... then they went into Sweet Child O'Mine .... and I was like... eewwww, where's Sheryl Crowe when ya need her???

Funny how we ain't talking the GAME.....I miss the Super Bowl being about the NFL Championship......

At least the last several years the Super Bowl has been close...I grew up with it being a 40-10 blowout every year :lol: The Mendenhall fumble was the single biggest play in the game, the Steelers really had momentum after those two straight TD's.

I can't take any of the 'around the game' entertainment (anthem, concerts, commercials) seriously enough to care about it, maybe I would if my team was in it. Like I've always said I do my level best to ignore the insane hype, neverending pregame and the like but if my team was in it I'd probably marinate in all of the excess for two straight weeks :P

I don't hate the Steelers or Big Ben but I'm glad the Packers won, the Steelers have had enough success lately. Now Rodgers (and Ted Thompson) never has to hear about the great Favreini again.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I can't take any of the 'around the game' entertainment (anthem, concerts, commercials) seriously enough to care about it, maybe I would if my team was in it. Like I've always said I do my level best to ignore the insane hype, neverending pregame and the like but if my team was in it I'd probably marinate in all of the excess for two straight weeks :P

Nah, you still ignore most of it.....if one of the guys who always gives a good sound byte (like back then it was always Michael Irvin), you pay a lil bit of attention, but aside f that, the more you watch the more you overload your excitement for the damned game and you'll go batty in 2 weeks!

We had a good pre-game show this year.... Devils in Montreal!!

Great game. Aaron Rodgers is the best QB in the league.

I wouldn't go that far. I think it's still

Tier One

1,2) Brady and Manning in some order.

Tier Two

3,4,5) Rodgers, Brees, and Roethlisberger in some order.

It was sad watching the game and imagining the Jets in the game.

Also I concur with the Black Eyed Peas are terrible sentiment. It was unbelievable to me. They basically did a bunch of cover songs, only none of them could sing and or rap. It would have been tolerable if they had any talent at all, but it was atrocious.

I wouldn't go that far. I think it's still

Tier One

1,2) Brady and Manning in some order.

Tier Two

3,4,5) Rodgers, Brees, and Roethlisberger in some order.

It was sad watching the game and imagining the Jets in the game.

Also I concur with the Black Eyed Peas are terrible sentiment. It was unbelievable to me. They basically did a bunch of cover songs, only none of them could sing and or rap. It would have been tolerable if they had any talent at all, but it was atrocious.

Respectfully, disagree about your top tier.

I watched Rodgers all year and very much like Manning, he has to do EVERYTHING himself (with all the injuries, including Finley, Driver, Jennings, etc. and having absolutely NO RUNNING GAME, defenses can key on Rodgers and he still gets the job done. When Mannings troops went down he fell apart, Rodgers managed to win.

I love Brady as well, but he has a great system and support cast including a running game.

To me Rodgers is just an incredible talent. If his back-up receivers (Nelson, Jones, Quarless) don't drop perfectly placed passes yesterday this could have been a blow out against the leagues best defense.

(Can't quote on phone sorry)

Brent Russo can't hit a high note to save our lives in the arena, and while she can sing decent she can NOT sing the National Anthem and all of us who saw her come out when I had season tickets all knew exactly when to cringe and cover our ears when she'd come out....least she was kinda nice to look at...but she was no Arlette!

Nah, you still ignore most of it.....if one of the guys who always gives a good sound byte (like back then it was always Michael Irvin), you pay a lil bit of attention, but aside f that, the more you watch the more you overload your excitement for the damned game and you'll go batty in 2 weeks!

We had a good pre-game show this year.... Devils in Montreal!!

You could be right about that, I went to the Devils game the Sunday of the AFC Championship partly to avoid being saturated with all the pregame stuff :lol: Of course as it turned out I would have been better off staying at the Devils game instead of leaving in the second intermission to get home in time for the Jet game :P

And I was watching plenty of Devils-Montreal at my friend's Super Bowl party as well lol.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Respectfully, disagree about your top tier.

I watched Rodgers all year and very much like Manning, he has to do EVERYTHING himself (with all the injuries, including Finley, Driver, Jennings, etc. and having absolutely NO RUNNING GAME, defenses can key on Rodgers and he still gets the job done. When Mannings troops went down he fell apart, Rodgers managed to win.

I love Brady as well, but he has a great system and support cast including a running game.

To me Rodgers is just an incredible talent. If his back-up receivers (Nelson, Jones, Quarless) don't drop perfectly placed passes yesterday this could have been a blow out against the leagues best defense.

Not taking a thing away from Rodgers...he had a tough road to navigate to get to the Super Bowl, and he passed every test with flying colors. I can't mention him the same breath as Manning and Brady YET though. Brady and Manning have been doing their thing for a long time now.

Though I still put them in their own tier, here's my knocks against both players:

Manning - hasn't gotten it done in the playoffs enough...fattened up his lifetime playoff stats against some pathetic defenses (Denver twice, KC once).

Brady - great lifetime playoff won-loss, but his offenses have struggled to match their regular season prowess come playoff time as of late. He seems to get rattled much more easily now.

Brady's supporting cast has been anywhere from meh to very very good. What's amazing is that he seems to find a way to put points on the board whether his top receiver is Randy Moss, Deion Branch, or Reche Caldwell.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Not taking a thing away from Rodgers...he had a tough road to navigate to get to the Super Bowl, and he passed every test with flying colors. I can't mention him the same breath as Manning and Brady YET though. Brady and Manning have been doing their thing for a long time now.

Though I still put them in their own tier, here's my knocks against both players:

Manning - hasn't gotten it done in the playoffs enough...fattened up his lifetime playoff stats against some pathetic defenses (Denver twice, KC once).

Brady - great lifetime playoff won-loss, but his offenses have struggled to match their regular season prowess come playoff time as of late. He seems to get rattled much more easily now.

Brady's supporting cast has been anywhere from meh to very very good. What's amazing is that he seems to find a way to put points on the board whether his top receiver is Randy Moss, Deion Branch, or Reche Caldwell.

I can't disagree with this.

Best part of the game was the Pepsi Max "first date" commercial. The Snickers ad with Richard Lewis and Rosanne was great too. And anytime someone makes fun of Apple, I'm a fan of it.

It's too bad only one player can get the MVP. The Green Bay defense was what won that game, IMO. They made the big plays when they needed to. Same can't be said about Pittsburgh's. Good for Aaron Rodgers, though. Been rooting for that guy ever since Favre started his drama.

(And CRASH, when you started talking about A-Rod, I thought you were gonna talk about the other A-Rod getting fed popcorn by Cameron Diaz :lol: )

HECK of a prediction CRASHER and congrats to the Packers

While Aaron Rodgers does deserve a TON of credit, I think what gets lost in all of this is in 3 of the 4 playoff games for the Packers, Rodgers left the team on their last offensive drive either up by 7 or less in 3 of them and the defense made the plays to preserve the win...they deserve MORE credit then they are getting.

Edited by LOTCB

(And CRASH, when you started talking about A-Rod, I thought you were gonna talk about the other A-Rod getting fed popcorn by Cameron Diaz :lol: )

Nah I've been calling him A-Rod just to piss off Yankee fans for years now :evil:

I heard they get $2400 or all expenses paid trip to the Superbowl of their choice.

$2,400 + next year's Superbowl tickets (which are transferrable) OR tickets to the Superbowl of their choices, chosen after Conference Championships are completed and non-transferrable.

Instead, 1000 fans are now suing the NFL, The Cowboys, and Jerry Jones for somewhere between $5 & $15 Million in a class action suit. Amounts to about $15,000 if the number of clients in the class action suit stays constant and the damages are tripled from the $5 MM number as per Texas state law.

I gotta admit, I like the first option best. $2,400 recoups the loss of travel and ticket expense for most people, then you sell next year's ticket on eBay for more profit.

yeah but the second option also includes airfare and hotel accommodations but isn't transferrable...it seems like a win-win with either option...if you were going to the game just to go then you are getting paid in option one, if you were going to see either of the teams you have an opportunity to see them again....whenever, IF they make it again ever....its a $hitty situation sure but more money is going to buy you that time machine to get you to the game last weekend?