Official "Around The NHL" 2010 SCF PLAYOFF Thread.

SatansDevils

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That seemed pretty blatant to me, and I thought it had intent to injury, and Downie has a history so I would think he'll get a pretty decent suspension. He's lucky it wasn't an illegal hit to the head though or he'd get the book thrown at him after the last GM meetings.

No suspension for Downie. Not even a review...On Ovie, I'm torn on it. He did shove but it was from side and the appropriate call was made. Now Campbell's out for season. According to what I read, past misconducts that led to suspension no longer apply because of when it happened. Will the league punish him due to the severity of Campy's injury? And would it be hypocritical based on giving a resident cheapshot artist Cooke zilch?

"I think everyone's known since the first time he came into this league that he plays a reckless style game," said Montreal Canadiens defenceman Josh Gorges. "He's going a hundred miles an hour, he's hitting everything that moves, he's going to the net, he's burying guys. Obviously when you have the stardom he does, anytime anything happens with Ovechkin's name beside it, it's going to get talked about even more. He plays that way, he plays with that reckless abandonment, and sometimes it's right on the line. You look at the hit last night - did it cross that line? I think maybe it did."

Habs defenceman Ryan O'Byrne said he was just happy it's not his job to decide if it's a suspension or not.

"Sometimes in the heat of the moment, those things happen," O'Byrne said. "From my standpoint, it looked like a little bit from behind, but he was kind of skating that way also."

Ovie Gets Two

A point is fine Puddy but what about Cooke and his deliberate attempts to injure players? And we're talking stars. And Downie did not get even a look because the Golden Boy wasn't hurt. That is a joke. It was a dirty play. This league talks tough but never backs it up.

Regarding Ovie, a good writeup from Sarah Spain.

I've always been a fan of Ovie's enthusiasm on the ice and there's no doubt he's one of the very best players in the NHL. Unfortunately, he's made it clear as of late that he sees himself as above the law.

2-Game Suspension Least Of AO's Worries

Edited by Derek21

Puddy, it is what it is. Just finished my take on the Ovechkin hit/suspension, along with a hard hitting view on Cooke, Downie and the "league deputy dumbass."

So, AO gets two games for this probably because as Bob McKenzie stated, he injured Campbell. Something that fortunately didn't happen when Steve Downie wrestled down Sidney Crosby in a Pens' 2-1 win over the Lightning. A cheaper play and in our view, a deliberate attempt to injure the Golden Boy. That he somehow returned was a miracle. The NHL didn't even bother.

Impossible unless you live in a bat cave which Colin Campbell probably does. How else can he explain this or the preposterous decision not to suspend repeat offender Matt Cooke for his blindside cheapshot that KO'd Marc Savard?

NHL Injustice System

Wow, a good night for the Devs. Sens and Sabres lose. If the Habs weren't playing the Rags, I'd wish they'd lose too. Unrelated... San Jose gets clowned by Dallas 8-2. Their goalies give up 4 a piece. Crazy. The Ovechkin-less Caps dominate the Panthers 7-3.

Wow, a good night for the Devs. Sens and Sabres lose. If the Habs weren't playing the Rags, I'd wish they'd lose too. Unrelated... San Jose gets clowned by Dallas 8-2. Their goalies give up 4 a piece. Crazy. The Ovechkin-less Caps dominate the Panthers 7-3.

Mark my words if San Jose draws Detroit in the first round, they're making tee times by April 22. Again.

Mark my words if San Jose draws Detroit in the first round, they're making tee times by April 22. Again.

everyone is so in love with detroit that they're not noticing just how not-well detroit has played all season. they're getting unlucky, sure, but they're just not that good.

everyone is so in love with detroit that they're not noticing just how not-well detroit has played all season. they're getting unlucky, sure, but they're just not that good.

I never said they were that good... but they'll beat San Jose if they play them and you can write that down.

Um...they lost Franzen (30 goal getter) and others to injuries throughout the season after playing 2 consecutive Finals. Not to mention they lost Hudler, Samuelsson (another 30G getter) and Hossa to UFA. The Wings are playing not their best hockey, but good enough to reach the playoffs and can potentially send the Sharks to vacation this spring.

I mentioned this much earlier in the season in the original "Around the NHL" thread, but the Capitals just play much better as a team without Ovie. It's so weird to say that a guy who might win the Hart plays for a team that is better without him. Anyway I posted these stats earlier in the year:

With Ovechkin: 21 games, 12-3-6, 71 GF, 3.38 G/G

Without Ovechkin: 8 games, 6-2, 37 GF, 4.62 G/G

Almost 1.25 more goals per game without him.

Now, I don't have time to update it now, but the Caps scored 7 goals tonight in the first game of his two game suspension. I'm not sure if he missed any other games since I made the original post.

Now, do I actually think the Caps would be better without Ovie? Of course not, but I do find it interesting that are scoring at a much higher rate.

Edited by devilsrule33

I never said they were that good... but they'll beat San Jose if they play them and you can write that down.

well, it's already written. i have no idea what makes you think detroit is better than san jose this year. well, okay, i do, i just think it's not really true.

Edited by Triumph

well, it's already written. i have no idea what makes you think detroit is better than san jose this year. well, okay, i do, i just think it's not really true.

Detriot is a bad 5 on 5 team. the Sharks actually are pretty good this year. I know you feel that means nothing, re: Sharks/Ducks last year... :lol: