Photo

Lockout 2012-2013 (Hockey's back!)

• Please log in to reply
1718 replies to this topic

Poll: Lockout 2012-2013 (Hockey's back!) (130 member(s) have cast votes)

When will we see hockey?

1. Oct 12 (10 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

2. Nov 12 (19 votes [14.62%])

Percentage of vote: 14.62%

3. Dec 12 (26 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

4. Jan 13 (33 votes [25.38%])

Percentage of vote: 25.38%

5. Feb 13 (1 votes [0.77%])

Percentage of vote: 0.77%

6. Mar 13 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Apr 13 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

8. Oct 13 (14 votes [10.77%])

Percentage of vote: 10.77%

9. Never (27 votes [20.77%])

Percentage of vote: 20.77%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1241 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:50 PM

There's also the idea that because of the stupidity of the NHL system, small market teams would hate it if Phoenix moved to Toronto - that would cost them money.

I don't know... I think it's more Bettman's refusal to admit that he's wrong and thus the lengthy work stoppages we've had under his tenure.

#1242 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,417 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:52 AM

I guess no NHL for Xmas.... :puke:
Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#1243 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,920 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:55 AM

I guess no NHL for Xmas.... :puke:

Part of me is hoping "Maybe there has been secret high level negotiations the past week or so and they'll surprise us with a Christmas Day CBA"

then I realize how absurd that is
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#1244 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,048 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:02 AM

Part of me is hoping "Maybe there has been secret high level negotiations the past week or so and they'll surprise us with a Christmas Day CBA"

then I realize how absurd that is

lol part of me agrees...but if this three month mess has taught us one thing, it's that nothing ever really stays secret. Especially when twenty players have to attend every meeting.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#1245 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,838 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

Here's a good read that I don't think has been posted here yet.

http://business.time.../#ixzz2FYMi9iqM

More to the point, contraction might not be necessary if NHL owners would only grow up. The problem in hockey, as ESPN The Magazine‘s Peter Keating recently explained, is that NHL owners don’t share enough of their own money with each other. And share they must, because the nature of the NHL’s “popularity” in the U.S.—intense interest among small pockets of local fans, consistent disinterest otherwise—translates into paltry national TV contracts. As a result, Keating writes, NHL teams “share a far tinier proportion of their revenues than teams in other sports do, because NHL clubs rely much more on local media deals for money than on national TV contracts.” So big-market teams, with lots of local TV money, spend more on player salaries, forcing small-market owners to choose between paying their players more than they can afford or putting a subpar product on the ice. Either choice has unpleasant financial consequences.

This has long been a problem, of course, for all major sport leagues. But we’ve known for a while that the way mature owners and strong commissioners have to deal with this imbalance is to share revenues between teams. Practically, this allows all teams to be competitive, ensuring a consistent and popular product. Philosophically, this recognizes the we’re-all-in-this-together aspect of professional sports leagues, one of the more curious economic constructs in history. It’s not a coincidence that the most successful North American sports league also has the most rational approach to revenue sharing. Some 60% of the NFL’s $11 billion revenue pie is shared, which is why tiny Green Bay, Wisconsin can compete with big bad New York or Chicago. The other two Big Three leagues aren’t quite as egalitarian but have improved their models in recent years: MLB teams share nearly a third of local TV revenue, while NBA teams reportedly approach a 50% total revenue share (give or take a few complex calculations).

The NHL, meanwhile, has been sharing 4.5% of its $3.3 billion revenue (with not much more on the table in current talks.

Edited by Devilsfan118, 24 December 2012 - 12:41 PM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#1246 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

I take issue with the notion that the NFL is successful because they share so much money. I think it's somewhat of a coincidence.

The NFL is successful because:

A: most games are meaningful towards playoff position
B: The season is incredibly short - watching all your team's games is a 50 hour proposition, not that hard for most people to do.
C: The NFL has successfully blocked off a period of time when games will be held
D: The sport is easiest to bet on - and betting on every game is not hard either.

Revenue sharing helps, but it also has created perpetually unsuccessful teams like Oakland, Cleveland, Detroit, Jacksonville, and Cincinnati - if you are guaranteed a profit, as these teams are, there's not much incentive to overhaul your organization.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#1247 NCDevsFan

NCDevsFan

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:31 PM

I've been watching the replays of the Devils playoff games. Over and Over. Well, only the ones they won. :P
It's the whiskey talking.

#1248 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:12 PM

I've been watching the replays of the Devils playoff games. Over and Over. Well, only the ones they won. :P

I've gotten to the point where I'm watching regular season highlights now.

:hah: haha they thought they tied it.

#1249 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,675 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:49 PM

I've gotten to the point where I'm watching regular season highlights now.

:hah: haha they thought they tied it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h01cknTDi8

Oh you mean that "BRUTAL CALL!" :cryriver:
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#1250 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:44 PM

Via Chere's twitter: @Ledger_NJDevils: Devils' Lou Lamoriello on NHL lockout: "I'm embarrassed for the game."

@Ledger_NJDevils: Lamoriello says he hasn't been involved in talks as he was in past lockouts. "I can't answer why."

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#1251 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,675 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:47 PM

Via Chere's twitter: @Ledger_NJDevils: Devils' Lou Lamoriello on NHL lockout: "I'm embarrassed for the game."

@Ledger_NJDevils: Lamoriello says he hasn't been involved in talks as he was in past lockouts. "I can't answer why."

My guess is he'd bring unnecessary common sense.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#1252 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:48 PM

My guess is he'd bring unnecessary common sense.

. My thoughts exactly. There's no room for common sense when you're dealing with this level of stupidity.

#1253 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

I am now watching all the clips of Kovalchuk's primary and secondary assists.

This.
Has.
To.
Stop.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#1254 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,950 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:12 PM

Here's a good read that I don't think has been posted here yet.

http://business.time.../#ixzz2FYMi9iqM

More to the point, contraction might not be necessary if NHL owners would only grow up. The problem in hockey, as ESPN The Magazine‘s Peter Keating recently explained, is that NHL owners don’t share enough of their own money with each other. And share they must, because the nature of the NHL’s “popularity” in the U.S.—intense interest among small pockets of local fans, consistent disinterest otherwise—translates into paltry national TV contracts. As a result, Keating writes, NHL teams “share a far tinier proportion of their revenues than teams in other sports do, because NHL clubs rely much more on local media deals for money than on national TV contracts.” So big-market teams, with lots of local TV money, spend more on player salaries, forcing small-market owners to choose between paying their players more than they can afford or putting a subpar product on the ice. Either choice has unpleasant financial consequences.

This has long been a problem, of course, for all major sport leagues. But we’ve known for a while that the way mature owners and strong commissioners have to deal with this imbalance is to share revenues between teams. Practically, this allows all teams to be competitive, ensuring a consistent and popular product. Philosophically, this recognizes the we’re-all-in-this-together aspect of professional sports leagues, one of the more curious economic constructs in history. It’s not a coincidence that the most successful North American sports league also has the most rational approach to revenue sharing. Some 60% of the NFL’s $11 billion revenue pie is shared, which is why tiny Green Bay, Wisconsin can compete with big bad New York or Chicago. The other two Big Three leagues aren’t quite as egalitarian but have improved their models in recent years: MLB teams share nearly a third of local TV revenue, while NBA teams reportedly approach a 50% total revenue share (give or take a few complex calculations).

The NHL, meanwhile, has been sharing 4.5% of its $3.3 billion revenue (with not much more on the table in current talks.

Wow! So in a nutshell, regarding pro sports league revenue sharing:

NFL close to 60%
NBA close to 50%
MLB close to 33%

NHL 4.5%

That's ridiculous.

#1255 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:13 PM

I am now watching all the clips of Kovalchuk's primary and secondary assists.

This.
Has.
To.
Stop.

Seriously... I'm tired of the games, I'm tired of the posturing... I realize there's a 'script' so to speak that they're following, but really- enough is enough. It's December 26 and they can't even agree to meet? Bullsh!t. For the good of the game- stop the games, put ypur dumb-ass fvcking egos aside, and GET A DEAL. I'm sick of my fvcking sport being hijacked by a$$holes. I want hockey back, and I want it back soon. I can't take this sh!t anymore.

#1256 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,048 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:23 PM

I don't know how much they can push it anymore...the deadline for the disclaimer of interest paperwork is in a frigging week. There's two-three weeks at most before the 48-game 'cutoff point' - though I wouldn't put it past the owners to be bluffing on that too, especially since their deadline was mid-February last time. Unfortunately I think Fehr's just as skeptical of mid-January being the cutoff without a hard, public date.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#1257 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,048 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

Wow! So in a nutshell, regarding pro sports league revenue sharing:

NFL close to 60%
NBA close to 50%
MLB close to 33%

NHL 4.5%

That's ridiculous.

It is...problem is though most of the profit is made by a handful of teams in the NHL. It's not really practical for five teams to sustain the entire league, so you have these draconian CBA proposals since the owners' choice is to either play Robin Hood or reduce the players' share to an equitable level compared to those other sports to at least put a band-aid on the bleeding. And fwiw, the MLB revenue sharing only includes TV money, which is substantial but not the whole pie by any means.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 26 December 2012 - 05:26 PM.

#1258 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:27 PM

It is...problem is though most of the profit is made by a handful of teams in the NHL. It's not really practical for five teams to sustain the entire league, so you have these draconian CBA proposals since the owners' choice is to either play Robin Hood or reduce the players' share to an equitable level compared to those other sports to at least put a band-aid on the bleeding. And fwiw, the MLB revenue sharing only includes TV money, which is substantial but not the whole pie by any means.

Or maybe institute a luxury tax, which is by far the most sensible option when you have a league with a few massive teams and then an even distribution around those clubs. Or, better yet, dilute the big market teams' market somewhat by adding another team which could also generate substantial revenues, rather than propping up failing franchises.

This might be a lot simpler if NHL owners + GMs knew how to run franchises, but they do not.

Edited by Triumph, 26 December 2012 - 06:27 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#1259 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,281 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:02 PM

Devils' Lou Lamoriello on NHL lockout: "I'm embarrassed for the game."

The unfortunate quote of the year.

#1260 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:07 AM

Check this out- it says under 'Upcoming Games' that we play @Boston January 15. Maybe someone knows something we don't lmao. http://devils.nhl.com/club/m_home.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users