Rumor from Russian hockey writer: Kovy considering staying in KHL

JWomp

Come on people, these quotes were intended for Russian audiences in order to appease them. Not a loosely translated English version that was meant for us. He is coming back and obviously he wants to play in this all star game with Datsyuk so we will wait until then. When Ilya gets here you will get the interview that is intended for Devil fans. I am not worried whatsoever.

Edited by Zubie#8

Hah, how many 'prominent' Devils are there really besides Elias, Kovy and Marty (and he's not going to ding his buddy Kovy I don't think)? I guess it depends on your definition of a prominent Devil though, since Salvador and Zajac can be considered that, though not really big-name stars.

The fact that the player vote now ends at 8 AM Saturday morning gives Kovy no room to stand on as far as staying in Russia through Sunday, unless he gets permission from Lou (which I doubt).

Edited by NJDevs4978

Hah, how many 'prominent' Devils are there really besides Elias, Kovy and Marty (and he's not going to ding his buddy Kovy I don't think)? I guess it depends on your definition of a prominent Devil though, since Salvador and Zajac can be considered that, though not really big-name stars.

The fact that the player vote now ends at 8 AM Saturday morning gives Kovy no room to stand on as far as staying in Russia through Sunday, unless he gets permission from Lou (which I doubt).

Lou should really just let him play that damn game and not open a can of worms there so we can get over this

I heard the players will receive 48 hours to report after the vote is tallied, but that could be subject to change or just hearsay.

Lou should really just let him play that damn game and not open a can of worms there so we can get over this

There's NO way he'll let him play that game. Could you imagine if he somehow got hurt in that game (which is now taking place almost a full day after ratification), the ****storm that would ensue? That's not happening on a team where Ponikarovsky said last year he liked the fact that the team bus doesn't wait five minutes for anyone, or a team that once scratched Kovy for being late to meetings.

I heard the players will receive 48 hours to report after the vote is tallied, but that could be subject to change or just hearsay.

If true, you could just call that the Kovy rule. Other than him and Datsyuk (who 'did' get permission to play), who else isn't 'back' already? They've had a week to get their **** in order since the deal was struck last Sunday.

What part of 'the KHL All-Star game is taking place AFTER ratification' don't you understand? Perhaps 731 is right, but the 48 hours to report is a rule that only Kovy really needs at this point, after everyone's been on notice for a week already and many teams have been skating in impromptu half-workouts.

Edited by NJDevs4978

What part of 'the KHL All-Star game is taking place AFTER ratification' don't you understand? Perhaps 731 is right, but the 48 hours to report is a rule that only Kovy really needs at this point, after everyone's been on notice for a week already and many teams have been skating in impromptu half-workouts.

It's not incumbent upon them to hold half-workouts, nor is it incumbent on them to begin training with the team, nor incumbent upon them to arrive where their team is located,etc. There is no CBA.

Well, he can't teleport to Newark and his family is over there so if 48 hours starts sometime on Saturday, he'll still be late by those standards anyway.

Chelabinsyk is eleven hours ahead, and the KHL ASG is at 4 PM on Sunday. That's 5 PM Saturday, NJ time, nine hours after ratification becomes official (8 AM). I guess you could make the argument two hours to play the game makes eleven, then run on a plane and make another ten-hour or however long a flight it is. It'd be close, and take more than 24 hours post-ratification for him to get in at least.

Edited by NJDevs4978

TG

One Devil did think it would be a big deal, however, if Kovalchuk doesn’t report for training camp Sunday with the rest of his Devils’ teammates.

“It is,” longtime Devils forward Patrik Elias said. “We’re all supposed to report on Sunday, right?”

knew it...

Edited by SterioDesign

Chelabinsyk is eleven hours ahead, and the KHL ASG is at 4 PM on Sunday. That's 5 PM Saturday, NJ time, nine hours after ratification becomes official (8 AM). I guess you could make the argument two hours to play the game makes eleven, then run on a plane and make another ten-hour or however long a flight it is. It'd be close, and take more than 24 hours post-ratification for him to get in at least.

Traktor is in the middle of nowhere, it's at least two flights and you'd have to go pick up the family. I doubt he's just going to leave them there. I wouldn't.

I'm just waiting on a comment from Lou, if says its ok I will believe he has mellowed and is retiring soon. But if it is the Lou that we know he might just say you want to stay so bad were fining you! We will see, ya don't want to piss off Lou!

Edited by Devs1965

Come on people, these quotes were intended for Russian audiences in order to appease them. Not a loosely translated English version that was meant for us. He is coming back and obviously he wants to play in this all star game with Datsyuk so we will wait until then. When Ilya gets here you will get the interview that is intended for Devil fans. I am not worried whatsoever.

YES!!!! This ^^^^

But wow, didn't realize how far Chelyabinsk is from Moscow. I just took a similarly long flight from a bit further out near that region, been jetlagged for 2 weeks. I still don't think this is as big of a deal as the media is making it to be, but on a personal level, it's not smart to make that trip 5 days before puckdrop. Your body needs a while to get back some normalcy, aside from the obvious jetlag...

In TG's interview with Bryce Salvador, he perfectly sums up the situation with Kovy: "I think he’s just trying to make everybody happy. It’s a tough situation to be in."

(http://blogs.northje..._all-star_game/)

Fellow Devils fans need to stop being so damn sensitive and cut Kovy some slack. We'll all be rooting for him come 1/19. Drop the puck!

Edited by hoekster316

I think we all knew Kovy was going to come back...in an off-season full of bad tastes, this was just one more to deal with, and yeah, it was a little annoying. All Kovy really has to do is perform right out of the gate and continue to show the emotion he did last season, and all of this will be forgotten very quickly. He probably lost a little of the goodwill he built up with some of the fanbase for the moment, but if the Devils get off to, say, a 12-6-2 start after 20 GP, and Kovy's scored 10 goals and is doing his thing, is anyone really going to hold a grudge for long?