Rumor from Russian hockey writer: Kovy considering staying in KHL

JWomp

This wouldn't be a topic if Lou would just give him permission to play in the ASG (see Datsyuk).

He should have asked for permission like Datsyuk did, although he probably knew that Lou would have said no. Can't pout this on Lou, the player needs to approach him, or at least give me the common courtesy of a phone call to let him know what's going on and where things stand. By all accounts, Kovy hasn't done that and has taken the position that, since the CBA isn't ratified yet, he has no obligation to return to NJ and can continue to do whatever he wants in the interim.

In TG's interview with Bryce Salvador, he perfectly sums up the situation with Kovy: "I think he’s just trying to make everybody happy. It’s a tough situation to be in."

(http://blogs.northje..._all-star_game/)

Fellow Devils fans need to stop being so damn sensitive and cut Kovy some slack. We'll all be rooting for him come 1/19. Drop the puck!

Ya this pretty much puts it in perspective and does sound like Kovy tryign to please everyone. I'm interested to see how the weekend plays out and if there is fall out from it. This all being said, we have a starting game according to TG so let the season begin already!

Now let's just make sure our fans don't do something stupid like boo him on his return. That's the last thing he, and this team, needs

He may get a smattering, if that. If he does, Ilya should be smart enough to realize that:

1) Yet another lockout has some fans ornery and cranky and not in the mood to let some things slide,

2) His quotes aren't exactly dripping with enthusiasm with regards to coming back, which is bound to tick off some,

and

3) Some of those who weren't as quick to warm to him as others will give him a hard time for this...some will interpret his quotes as him acting like he's doing the Devils a favor.

But it's like I said earlier, he plays well and it's very quickly forgotten.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

From @IgorEronko

He could've said "I'm so excited to be heading back to Jersey, can't wait to join my teammates, win the cup this season etc"

Reading between the lines

"Alas...I so desperately wanted to stay...but I must head back to Jersey. Boohoo...the contract must be honored"

That's up to how Ilya handles this when he comes back. I think he will hear some boos but they will last as long as he is scoreless.

Exactly. He lights up the scoresheet like we all hope he will, and nobody will be booing him. I still don't think he should be made captain though. I can see this team going the season with 3 "A"'s instead of naming someone captain this year. Long term, if Zajac stays, I can see him getting it next year.

He could've said "I'm so excited to be heading back to Jersey, can't wait to join my teammates, win the cup this season etc"

Reading between the lines

"Alas...I so desperately wanted to stay...but I must head back to Jersey. Boohoo...the contract must be honored"

I try to give him the benefit of the doubt knowing those quotes are to the Russian press for the Russian fans.

1/2: @TGfireandice: RT @IgorEronko: #KHL head Alex Medvedev says he'll be in NA in February to discuss with #Devils Ilya Kovalchuk's contract buyout to have him back in Russia.

Really? What's with these guys? Yeah sure we will buyout a 100 million dollar contract no problem so you can take our best player, that makes sense.