[Official] Damien Brunner signed to multi-year deal

caron14

Just remember though, according to Nick Barlotta we currently have him but the Devils are just waiting to announce the deal... :doh1:  :whistling:

If you tweeted that at him you'd get angry people telling you that you'll look stupid when the announcement is finally made. :lol:

In fairness the deal could be agreed upon.. I mean, it's not like he signed elsewhere and you'd think some team would have made him an acceptable offer by now

I was thinking some other team would be interested in signing him but maybe he's a head case or wants too much??? The fact that there's been NO mention of Brunner by anyone is weird.

maybe he is ours.

In fairness the deal could be agreed upon.. I mean, it's not like he signed elsewhere and you'd think some team would have made him an acceptable offer by now

I would say in more fairness, :lol:, if Brunner still ends up signing here that guy was still completely guessing.  Brunner was held up because the Devils had to sign Henrique first....but the Devils signed a 4 million player since then, so obviously that wasn't the case.

If the deal is agreed upon then you finalize it, you don't let it dangle out there waiting for it to fall apart or get stolen from you.  From Brunner's side, you sign it right away so that if you break your leg falling down the stairs tomorrow you're covered.

I think this may be a leverage move. Lou having the ability to tell Henrique that he isn't indispensable to the team because we can and will sign Brunner who can add the same things might be enough to force a $1M less onto his new deal and then we can sign Brunner anyway or actually make good on that threat to sign him if Henrique won't agree to terms (is he arbitration eligible? what happens if he doesn't sign?).

All I can say is that picking this guy up would really be the cherry on top of one of Lou's best offseasons in a while (losing Kovi wasn't his fault and may work out better for us in the long term anyways so not holding that against him). We would have more forward depth than we know what to do with, a very nice looking group of defenseman that have young guys ready to go behind them if they don't perform and 2 of the best goalies in the league. I'm definitely drinking the Koolaid this summer :koolaid:  In Lou We Trust! 

JJ could be a decently solid 3rd line center if he stays healthy. Loktionov certainly seems promising, but it's still a bit early to count on him as a top 6 forward for the future.. Both are pretty big question marks on our lineup though.

Elias Loktionov Jagr

Clowe Zajac Ryder

Brunner Henrique Zubrus

Olesz Josefson Bernier

Something like that seems pretty sweet to me.. Allthough I agree it wont happen unless we move a forward, which seems unlikely as best.

JJ could be a decently solid 3rd line center if he stays healthy. Loktionov certainly seems promising, but it's still a bit early to count on him as a top 6 forward for the future.. Both are pretty big question marks on our lineup though.

Elias Loktionov Jagr

Clowe Zajac Ryder

Brunner Henrique Zubrus

Olesz Josefson Bernier

Something like that seems pretty sweet to me.. Allthough I agree it wont happen unless we move a forward, which seems unlikely as best.

There's no Carter in that lineup though. I can't see him not making it, he's one of the harder working players in the lineup.

True. And I like Carter on the 4th line, so Brunner seems extremely unlikely at this point. (Even though he would clearly be an upgrade for us.)

na just take Olesz off that line and put Carter there. I do think we could use Brunner

If we got Brunner JJ or olesz would most likely be the odd man out. Gionta seems done already and I think Olesz would beat JJ for a spot. Personally I feel like JJ is more expendable now that we have Loktionov. With Zajac, Henrique, Elias, and Loki on the team, JJ can really only be a center on the 4th line. At best JJ is a 3rd line winger and personally I would prefer Brunner there.

EDIT:

Lines off the top of my head without Brunner

Elias-Zajac-Ryder

Clowe-Henrique-Jagr

Zubrus-Loktionov-Olesz

Carter-JJ-Bernier

Lines with Brunner:

Elias-Zajac-Ryder

Clowe-Henrique-Jagr

Zubrus-Loktionov-Brunner

Olesz-Carter-Bernier

I think the second option is a much more scary lineup for the opposition.

Edited by njd3b1ink

so many possibilities, maybe Brunner knows he won't get the money he want anywhere but that Lou told him, once we signed Henrique and that we moved another guy we could offer you this much which is the best we can do but not until we made a move. You can wait or see what else is out there. And maybe this is the part where Lou's offer and situation was the best in his opinion and that he's willing to wait.

So thats absolutely speculative on my part, but again its not impossible. 

i think we're to the point where free agents are starting to realize that they were asking for too much and that they have to rethink their plans and lower their expectations. And Lou is pretty good at catching those guys usually

Maybe it finally hit him that asking for 4-5 million based on 44 games of NHL experience may have been a bit far fetched. You're not gonna get those deals unless you get them offered the first week of free agency.

he's not asking 4-5 millions he's asking 3 / 3.5m