Perry signs 8 year extension with Ducks

ghdi

Clarkson is not going to bring value to any team with a 7 year deal.  Perry going off the market definitely drives up the price a GM will pay for Clarkson.  Lou is smarter than giving this guys an overvalue contract.  He already did that with Zajac.  He will not strap the team with these types of contracts.

Seriously, on this one, shut up. LET IT GO. Lou knows more about being a GM than you or I or any other Devils fans could ever hope to forget, and you really need to stop looking at the whole Parise situation like it was so simple, and that you could've somehow handled it better than the guy who has seen his team win 3 Cups (and get to five Finals), and missed the playoff just three times in his tenure. sh!t happens to ALL GMs, not just Lou. Yes, the Devils clearly miss Parise, especially now that the puck isn't going in for Clarkson anymore. But NO GM bats 1.000 in these situations, and even if it hurts right now, the idea of both Kovalchuk and Parise playing for the Devils under lifetime contracts is pretty scary to me...I'm glad that Parise isn't under contract to the Devils for 13 seasons.

Is Lou perfect? Of course not. But I think he deserves more respect than you seem willing to give him. A lot more.

Of course Lou is great and did many great thing, but "IF" all reports from Zach, Lou himself and Meehan we're right about him NOT WANTING to talk contract during the season is true, well it's purely dumb. And of course you guys will say "his agent told him to wait cause he could get more!!!" well Perry's agent may have said the same thing, Perry told him he wanted to stay in anaheim and they got a deal done quickly after that. Murray approached him when things were going well and when Corey felt good about the organization, on that note i don't care about the past and what he did before that whole thing, you don't wait last minutes to try to resign your captain and top player.

And no all GMs doesnt succeed all the time at those things, but they certainly try. Lou may have tried who knows, reports and based on that fact that he NEVER did it before lead me to believe he indeed didnt try to make a deal before it was too late, i can only judge from what's being report knowing it doesnt mean it's 100% true. But if it is, he clearly failed because of his stubbornness of doing things the same way all the time and not adjusting. He CLEARLY know he fvcked up seeing how he signed Zajac right before the season, to me thats a proof.

Stereo, for fear of rehashing this, Zach leaving had nothing to do with Lou's stubbornness. It was clear the summer before that Zach woukd test the market.

And the situation would have been much different if the Devils could offer him more money or at least more years than any other team, which the new CBA allows you to do. As people have noted, and which you continue to ignore, Parise would most likely still be on the Devils if operating under the current CBA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Of course Lou is great and did many great thing, but "IF" all reports from Zach, Lou himself and Meehan we're right about him NOT WANTING to talk contract during the season is true, well it's purely dumb. And of course you guys will say "his agent told him to wait cause he could get more!!!" well Perry's agent may have said the same thing, Perry told him he wanted to stay in anaheim and they got a deal done quickly after that. Murray approached him when things were going well and when Corey felt good about the organization, on that note i don't care about the past and what he did before that whole thing, you don't wait last minutes to try to resign your captain and top player. 

And no all GMs doesnt succeed all the time at those things, but they certainly try. Lou may have tried who knows, reports and based on that fact that he NEVER did it before lead me to believe he indeed didnt try to make a deal before it was too late, i can only judge from what's being report knowing it doesnt mean it's 100% true. But if it is, he clearly failed because of his stubbornness of doing things the same way all the time and not adjusting. He CLEARLY know he fvcked up seeing how he signed Zajac right before the season, to me thats a proof.

Whats ridiculous is your assumption that Lou sat around and waited all season. Do you remember hearing rumors of Zajac negotiating? No. Those things don't leak here. As Daniel said, Parise had the opportunity to sign long term the previous summer and did not. Why didn't he? Because he knew he could get a monster contract the next year. 

Lou has signed major players during the season. Stevens and Brodeur signed extensions mid season. Please stop pretending Zajac is the only one and that it was because 'Lou learned his lesson.' As someone who has been watching this team for over 20 years, I can tell you that Lou wants players here who want to be here.  Zach did not want to be here. 

Edited by Devil Dan 56

I have to agree with Devil Dan.  Nobody knows what really happens behind closed doors, especially in the CIA-like Devils front office.  Would it shock anyone if they actually had been negotiating during the season but agreed to keep it quiet (a/k/a Lou told Zach to keep his mouth shut) and tell the media that there were no talks going on?  By all accounts, we lost Zach because he didn't want to play the rest of his career in NJ, not because of $$.  That's not Lou's fault. 

Good for the Ducks I guess.  It's a large % of their cap that they have tied up in a couple of players for the next 8 years, but they've kept their core together.  This just proves that the extra year teams can offer their own FA's really is a great tool to entice them to resign as Perry had to know he would be the top FA on the market this year and command top dollar. 

Whats ridiculous is your assumption that Lou sat around and waited all season. Do you remember hearing rumors of Zajac negotiating? No. Those things don't leak here. As Daniel said, Parise had the opportunity to sign long term the previous summer and did not. Why didn't he? Because he knew he could get a monster contract the next year. 

Lou has signed major players during the season. Stevens and Brodeur signed extensions mid season. Please stop pretending Zajac is the only one and that it was because 'Lou learned his lesson.' As someone who has been watching this team for over 20 years, I can tell you that Lou wants players here who want to be here.  Zach did not want to be here. 

Whats ridiculous is you making assumption that he did something based on "nothing". Nobody knows! so my judgement based on reports from everyone involved is as good a yours "assuming he obviously did something" so who the hell are you to call me out on guesses and assumptions based on NOTHING while "at the very least" im taking the words of everything directly involved... i know damn well Lou is secretive and they could all have been lying hiding the truth but fact is we don't know that.

Lou has a LONG history of not negotiating during the season and thats exactly what he said he did and what Zach and Meehan said he did. So sorry for being such a moron and thinking thats what happen. You can go on thinking he tried everything he could based on NOTHING and ignoring how he made business his own life to make yourself feel better but stop calling me off for stuff youre clueless about bud.

lol dude get a grip. we can't have this argument for the next 13 years. the devils are fine without him.

Yeah, but should baseball players that used steroids get into the Hall of Fame? I haven't heard enough points of view on that yet.

• Like 1

Whats ridiculous is you making assumption that he did something based on "nothing". Nobody knows! so my judgement based on reports from everyone involved is as good a yours "assuming he obviously did something" so who the hell are you to call me out on guesses and assumptions based on NOTHING while "at the very least" im taking the words of everything directly involved... i know damn well Lou is secretive and they could all have been lying hiding the truth but fact is we don't know that.

Lou has a LONG history of not negotiating during the season and thats exactly what he said he did and what Zach and Meehan said he did. So sorry for being such a moron and thinking thats what happen. You can go on thinking he tried everything he could based on NOTHING and ignoring how he made business his own life to make yourself feel better but stop calling me off for stuff youre clueless about bud.

Dude. Get over Parise leaving. You have been throwing this fit for 7 months. Just let it go. You are sitting here trying to say that you can run a team better than one of the most successful GM's in modern hockey. When Zach refused to sign long term in the summer of 2011, everyone saw the writing on the wall. He wanted his big payday. He hired Meehan and Arnott for a reason. He wanted big money and big years, and the Devils couldn't give him that, especially when they had questions of ownership at the time.

And I don't think Lou 'tried everything he could', whatever the hell that means. Was he supposed to get on his knees and beg him to stay every morning at practice? He probably spoke to Zach's agents, they laid out what they feel they could get on the open market, and Lou politely hung up the phone. The agents were hired to get him max return, not to help him exercise loyalty to the Devils. Remember when Zach said he wouldn't sign with the Rangers, and then he took that back the next day? That was from his agents trying to make sure they didn't lose a team that could help in a bidding war.  And don't forget that Zach was the one who refused to sign long term in 2011. I really don't see what kind of strategy you think another GM could pull off in that situation. You seem to just rip Lou, but you have no answer to how he was supposed to convince someone to take less for less years.

The reason these guys are re-signing is not because of Bob Murray 'knowing how to sign his stars'. It's because they can only get that 8th season out of Anaheim. In this CBA, a lot of guys will stay with their old team for that very reason. In both Perry and Getzlaf's case, that's another 8 million or so guaranteed.

lol dude get a grip.  we can't have this argument for the next 13 years.  the devils are fine without him.

Also, this.

• Like 1

re: parise - the only thing Lou could have done differently, PERHAPS, was offer Parise a 10/75 deal in the summer of 2010 but ownership made that impossible. in summer 2011, he might have gotten the same deal signed but I think Lou thought he could get it done for less and coming off the knee injury made that a huge gamble. starting in the summer of 2011 was when parise had thoughts of minnesotta and, suter came a bit later.

in the middle of last year, if rumors are to be believed (and I do because of where they came from), lou offered parise a 7/49 extension and parise was prepared to take it - the minny dream seemed like too many moving parts and the thought of skinflint leopold handing out $100mm contracts seemed ludicrous. his agents convinced him not to because they said that if he wanted to stay in NJ, he would and would get a better deal at the end of the summer so there was no reason not to wait. that was also around the time that the minny "leaks" about not being outbid for parise came out further giving parise's camp the knowledge that he was going to get what he wanted - either a big lifetime deal from NJ or a big lifetime deal to go home w/ his buddy.

so again - lou's only possible hope was the big deal in the summer of 2010 or 2011 and he chose not to. are the devils missing parise? sure. but i truly believe that contract is going to get bad in a hurry - like 3 years and its an albatross.

Not having Parise this year sucks. And the next one and probably 1-2 more years after that. But with 2/3rds of it left it will be an enormous albatross on that franchise. 

I am very glad Lou didn't "do whatever it took" in July to get him signed, because it would've killed the team a few years down the road. 

wtv im saying is not as much about Parise, and i know we havent lost that many players through free agency and i'm not saying i could do a better job  than Lou. But his way of "not talking during the season cause it's a distraction" is dumb to me and no one will change my mind about it. Cause then you're squeezing yourself in a corner having like 2-4 days to sign everyone and you're missing out on other opportunities.

i really wish we could have went after Parenteau or something this summer but we couldnt cause we had "other players to take care off" (thats a fact i dont remember where i saw that quote but yeah). I absolutely dont care a single seconds of what anyone here think about this but waiting last minutes is never good in any form. It's not setting yourself up for the best results at all. And Lou as ALWAYS did things that way.

He's an awesome GM but he could be an even better GM if only he wouldnt be that stuck up sometimes.

but wtv if you dont agree just don't reply, im not changing your mind and youre not changing mine so there's no point.

wtv im saying is not as much about Parise, and i know we havent lost that many players through free agency and i'm not saying i could do a better job than Lou. But his way of "not talking during the season cause it's a distraction" is dumb to me and no one will change my mind about it. Cause then you're squeezing yourself in a corner having like 2-4 days to sign everyone and you're missing out on other opportunities.

i really wish we could have went after Parenteau or something this summer but we couldnt cause we had "other players to take care off" (thats a fact i dont remember where i saw that quote but yeah). I absolutely dont care a single seconds of what anyone here think about this but waiting last minutes is never good in any form. It's not setting yourself up for the best results at all. And Lou as ALWAYS did things that way.

He's an awesome GM but he could be an even better GM if only he wouldnt be that stuck up sometimes.

but wtv if you dont agree just don't reply, im not changing your mind and youre not changing mine so there's no point.

The problem is, none of what you're saying is true. As people have pointed out to you, he does not have a firm policy in that regard. Also, did you ever consider the possibility that Lou did not WANT Parenteau, or any other player some fan thinks he should have gone after.

wtv im saying is not as much about Parise, and i know we havent lost that many players through free agency and i'm not saying i could do a better job  than Lou. But his way of "not talking during the season cause it's a distraction" is dumb to me and no one will change my mind about it. Cause then you're squeezing yourself in a corner having like 2-4 days to sign everyone and you're missing out on other opportunities.

22 out of 30 teams are finished by April, which leaves at least 2 months to re-sign a player.  Sometimes a player doesn't want to be there, other times the $$ is not right. I suspect both were true for Parise

I think Getzlaf's the better player so I like his contract a lot more.  I think the Ducks are a better team in 4 years with Perry than they are without him even at this salary so I guess it's a fine deal, except the NMC really limits their options if the contract blows up in their faces.  I'd like it a lot more for the Ducks if that weren't in there.

You can't trade Perry this year, even if you believe your team isn't that good due to PDO / EV shooting % / SV % regressing.  If you're in the playoffs you can't trade your second best player for presumably whatever half season rentals get on the trade market.

No one's trying to change your mind. People seem to just be pointing out the inaccuracies in some of what you're saying. For example "always did things that way" isn't true. Brodeur and Stevens were examples.

Also, if a player knows he could be in line for a 15 year deal at 100 million (ball-parking. I know it was 13 for 98), and you, as a GM, have one 15 year contract already on the books, a question mark in goal (Marty and Moose were both unsure of if they would retire or not until the end of last season) and an owner who may be forced to sell the team (at the time, they were searching for another investor), it's just not as easy as talking to the player agents. I think you are oversimplifying a complex process. I'm sure he was in contact with the agents (I believe both sides said there was 'contact' but no official offers). His hands were tied and even Parise said it came down to the Wild and the Devils. But the Devils didn't have the money or years (or Ryan Suter), and they aren't in Minnesota. Lou had to look long term, and long term the team is better without that contract.

It's very similar to having to let Rafalski go. The Devils just didn't have the cash at the time. I think the only time Lou got burned unexpectedly was Scotty Niedermayer, and he offered max salary on that one.

I still think it's a shame that his contract ran out in 2012. I think he would still be here under this new CBA.