All MLB 2011 Thread

devilsrule33

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anything ever happen with that realignment talk from some months ago? I thought that they really wanted to change the playoff system.

Yeah, the Astros are headed for the AL West in 2013. Probably a 2nd wild card will be added too.

I'm not a fan of the other CBA stuff that pertains to amateur players though; MLB is basically capping team spending for draft players (at least for the first 10 rounds with some kinda of luxury tax system) and IFAs.

Yeah, the Astros are headed for the AL West in 2013. Probably a 2nd wild card will be added too.

So that must mean that interleague play will be an all-season thing. Unless we're adding/removing teams, or inserting days off, or reducing the schedule (all of which I'm sure a far more unsavory).

Also, Clayton Kershaw took the NL Cy Young. Too many K's and wins for the Kennedys and Lees to compete.

Yeah, not a surprise Kershaw won it, the BBWAA probably creamed their pants over him winning the triple crown. The good news is, while Halladay would have been my choice, Kershaw was at least very deserving. He was an elite starting pitcher this year on any level you want to look at it.

It's amazing to think he's just 23 and has been one of the game's best over the last 3 years.

Edited by nmigliore

Verlander takes home the AL MVP.

It's not a horrible choice but I thought Ellsbury and Bautista were both a lot more deserving.

And the winner for worst ballot of the year goes too.... http://rangersblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/11/justin-verlander-wins-mvp-one.html

Edited by nmigliore

Verlander takes home the AL MVP.

It's not a horrible choice but I thought Ellsbury and Bautista were both a lot more deserving.

And the winner for worst ballot of the year goes too.... http://rangersblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/11/justin-verlander-wins-mvp-one.html

I don't have an issue at all with giving a starting pitcher the MVP. A starting pitcher impacts around 30 AB's a game for their once every five games start, give or take a few. A hitter only impacts four or five AB's in one game which prorates to around 20-25 in a five-game stretch, and a few fielding plays but no hitter's getting the MVP for their fielding.

Huh? I didn't say I had a problem with a starting pitcher winning the award - I have no problem with that idea whatsoever. There was a good stretch during last season where Halladay probably deserved the NL MVP and Zack Greinke had a great argument to win the award in 2009. I just don't think he was as valuable as the other 2 players I mentioned.

Edited by nmigliore

I'd have a hard time with giving the MVP to any Red Sox player after they choked away the playoffs in record-breaking fashion. I'd rather give it to Bautista of the two, though you could argue since guys on non-playoff teams can win it and have done so it should be renamed most outstanding player instead of most valuable, MVP just sounds better than MOP.

But when Verlander was basically the difference in getting Detroit to the playoffs I see no reason not to give it to him.

Huh? I didn't say I had a problem with a starting pitcher winning the award

I didn't say you did but that's usually the first thing that gets brought up when someone argues against a SP winning it.

Edited by NJDevs4978

A team's contending status should have zero weight on the award - whether they missed the playoffs by 20 games or choked it away in the final days. MVP is the most valuable player; it's an individual award. Why penalize Ellsbury for the rest of what his team contributed to? In fact, they wouldn't have been alive the last week if Ellsbury wasn't on the roster.

I would have voted Ellsbury over Bautista but the difference isn't that significant, unless you really love defensive metrics and take them for 100% accuracy (you shouldn't). You can flip a coin between the two players, really.

Verlander was excellent but not the most valuable player in the AL last year, at least not in my opinion (and it has nothing to do with him being a starter).

Edited by nmigliore

The draft officially sucks:

JeffPassan Draft tax: Teams >5% over slot=75% tax. 5-10% over, 75% tax, loss of 1st-round pick

More stuff on the new CBA here: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/11/cba-details-luxury-tax-draft-.html

At least they moved the signing deadline up a month but I hate these draft changes. Teams that love taking gambles and going overslot like the Jays and Pirates will probably be livid.

Edited by nmigliore

The changes to IFA sounds partly interesting. All teams will get $2.9M to spend this year. But starting in 2013 or 2014, their IFA budget will depend on their win-loss record; eg: best teams get least to spend, worst teams get most to spend. The money could also be traded.

There's also the possibility of a worldwide draft.

Ryan Braun just announced as NL MVP.

Edit: also this small bone thrown to small markets:

Teams in the ten smallest markets and with the ten lowest revenues will enter a lottery for six additional first and second round picks, according to Bill Shaikin of the LA Times
Edited by nmigliore

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Pujol$ is headed to the Angels....

The Angels are the bridesmaid no more. Albert Pujols will sign with the Angels for ten years and $250-260MM, tweets Yahoo's Tim Brown. He'll receive a full no-trade clause. Pujols decided this morning, writes Brown. If Pujols received more than $252MM, his new deal will be the second-largest in baseball history in both its total and average annual value. Pujols is represented by Dan Lozano of Icon Sports Group.

So now in addition to the Yankees and the Red Sox, the Phillies spend money, the Angels now spend mad money, Miami's spending mad money, it wouldn't shock me if the Cubs got in on Fielder and even the Dodgers who have no owner and were run into the ground are spending money...guess who's the ONLY big market team acting like a small market? :P

So now in addition to the Yankees and the Red Sox, the Phillies spend money, the Angels now spend mad money, Miami's spending mad money, it wouldn't shock me if the Cubs got in on Fielder and even the Dodgers who have no owner and were run into the ground are spending money...guess who's the ONLY big market team acting like a small market? :P

The Mets have no foundation to build on. Sandy is trying to build one the old-fashioned way. Forget big market/small market...Mets have been big spenders in the past, despite their reputation for cheapness...what has it gotten them? Yeah, it kind of blows right now, in that Sandy's more or less telling us "don't expect much for the next year or two". And it sucks going into the '11 season knowing that this season is being sacrificed for a greater good. But I'm not going to kill the Mets right now for not throwing money around. I want to give this one some time.

Unreal that they got Wilson too. Their rotation has to be at or near the top of the AL with Weaver, Haren, Wilson, and Santana. It'll be interesting to see how they manage to keep their roster intact when key players hit free agency (Haren, Kendrick, Santana, Iannetta, etc.) but they should be big time contenders over the next couple of years at least.

I wonder how they construct their lineup this year too. Pujols to 1B leaves one of Trumbo and Morales to DH and the other to.. well, who knows. I heard a few people on Twitter mention Trumbo could play 3B but considering he has zero experience at the position in both the minors and Majors, while Callaspo is a very good defender there, makes that not seem right. They could trade him or Morales, I suppose. Abreu also throws a wrench into everything too and could prevent Trout from opening with the team unless they cut Wells...

C: Iannetta

1B: Pujols

2B: Kendrick

3B: Callaspo

SS: Aybar

LF: Abreu/Wells

CF: Bourjos

RF: Hunter

DH: Morales/Trumbo

Trumbo wouldn't be a bad player to sell-high on after hitting 29 HR in his rookie year despite a poor .291 OBP and Morales is the superior hitter anyway.

Edited by nmigliore

Ahh those geniuses in Tampa Bay have struck again - extending Matt Moore. Love this for them, excellent move.

The Rays have authored another precedent-setting contract, locking up 22-year-old phenom Matt Moore for at least five years, according to ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick. Moore has just 17 days of big league service time (plus ten innings in the postseason), but the Rays committed $14MM for Moore’s next five seasons. The contract is reminiscent of the Rays’ April 2008 commitment to Evan Longoria, but is the first of its kind for a pitcher. Moore’s guarantee is easily a record for a pitcher with less than a year’s service time, and it also tops any pitcher who signed with less than two years service. The Rays have club options covering Moore’s third arbitration year and first two free agent years. If those are exercised, the deal could be worth $37.5MM over eight years, and it could exceed $40MM with escaltors. Moore is represented by Matt Sosnick along with Jon Pridie and Adam Karon of Sosnick Cobbe Sports.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/12/rays-lock-up-matt-moore.html

Ugh..

Reigning NL MVP Ryan Braun has tested positive for a performance-enchancing drug, reports Mark Fainaru-Wada and T.J. Quinn of ESPN. YokalSports.com was the first to report the news (on Twitter). Braun is facing a 50-game suspension and is disputing the positive test through arbitration.

Braun, 28, was tested during the playoffs and notified of positive result in late-October. Elevated levels of testosterone in Braun's system triggered the positive test, which prompted MLB to ask the testing agency to perform a second test. The second test determined that the testosterone was synthetic, meaning it was produced outside of Braun's body.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/12/ryan-braun-tested-positive-for-peds.html

Braun is one of my favorite players in the game.. this is really disappointing to hear.

Edit, good news I suppose...

Haudricourt Tom

Just spoke to someone familiar with the details of Braun's test and was assured he will be found innocent. If so, horrible this leaked out.

Edited by nmigliore

Pretty big trade: Mat Latos to the Reds for Yonder Alonso, Yasmani Grandal, Edinson Volquez, and Brad Boxberger.

Latos is young, really good, and in great company... but wow, that's a lot. I could see the argument for the Reds to give up Alonso and Grandal since they already have superior talents in place with Mesoraco and Votto, but San Diego has to be loving this return.