NFL Off Season 2014 - Coaches, Caps, and Combines OH MY!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

If Rice did it three times like Gordon has he'd not even be allowed to buy NFL Sunday Ticket forget ever play in the league again....you should know better than to compare the two dude....

The fact that one PERSON beat up another PERSON should be the issue....wheter a man or woman was hurt should be irrelevant, its amazing how "equal rights" arguements disappear when it comes to someone losing a perk :P (no this is not an endorsement to beat up women....most guys would be equally as defensless if a raging pro athete came after them too....the need to seperate the difference in "how bad it was" should not be there)

The bolded:  yes, this.  That's exactly what I was going for, and how it should be. 

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andy Dalton gets 6 years, $112 million....yeup.... $18 mil a year to be just about above average..... Jesus the Chiefs must be pulling their eyeballs out now......

Dalton's extension includes a $12 million signing bonus and a $5 million roster bonus. The contract has a base value of $96 million, and he can earn $19 million more through incentives.

Even $16 million a year for above average is still absurdity......

I feel for these teams that have middle of the road QB's as they're stuck in a tough position when it comes to these decisions. On one hand you have what maybe half the teams in the league yearn for -- think of the Browns and all the QB's they've run through year after year; they'd kill for just competent and above average -- but on the other hand, competent and above average typically only goes so far and that becomes even more agonizing with a big salary spike.

Quarterbacking in this league is not what it used to be, forget the inflated no defense era numbers...the amount of true elite Quarterbacks in this league is a paltry few. I think the Bengals looked at the big picture. They have an above average QB who is slowly improving...still has some kinks in his game to work out but is a DURABLE (that's very important) playmaker. He's really Eli Manning without the playoff luck, and still only 26.

Look at all the drech that's been recycled throughout the league. From Sanchez to Cassel, Tarvaris Jackson, Kellen Clemens. You fall into that bad QB rut and it will set your franchise back a decade.

Look at how long the Jets, Bills, and Dolphins have been looking. That made things a heck of a lot easier for NE to romp through this division for 12 years save for a year or two.

Edited by '7'

• 3 weeks later...

....SORTA....this suspension has in it that he CAN be reinstated at the end of the season

I'm more annoyed that I had a nice long rant about this in my Browns preview (the AFC is 75% done)...and now I gotta re-write it....CMON TWO-QB SYSTEM!!!

I know this happened yesterday, but the Patriots traded Logan Mankins to Tampa for TE Tim Wright and a pick. Surprising, but not surprising... The Pats always seem to get rid of dudes at just the right time (see Seymour, Richard and Milloy, Lawyer). And Tim Wright will probably be a Hernandez clone in that offense. Tim Wright also isn't a murderer as far as we know, so this will likely work out for them, as most everything does. So yeah, fvck the Patriots lol.

Edited by MadDog2020

I know this happened yesterday, but the Patriots traded Logan Mankins to Tampa for TE Tim Wright and a pick. Surprising, but not surprising... The Pats always seem to get rid of dudes at just the right time (see Seymour, Richard and Milloy, Lawyer). And Tim Wright will probably be a Hernandez clone in that offense. Tim Wright also isn't a murderer as far as we know, so this will likely work out for them, as most everything does. So yeah, fvck the Patriots lol.

Yes they are mostly on the ball when it comes to unloading guys, but losing Welker hurt them last year. Other than that they don't get burned.

this is a curious move. Tim Wright had a nice under the radar season last year with Tampa. He has more WR size than Tight End though.

This is one of those deals that does make some sense from a strictly forensic standpoint (which tends to be BB's MO).  And Wright got better as the season went on...he had exactly one catch for six yards through his first three games of last season.  It could work out nicely, though he's not a true tight end, in that he's a converted WR, and the word is he can't block at all.  Mankins was also being paid more than he's really worth. 

But Mankins was absolutely LOVED in that locker room, pretty much to a man.  His teammates were clearly surprised and saddened to see him go.  And it looks like Garrapollo is going to start the final game of the preseason (Brady isn't going to play), meaning Brady and Wright won't get any on-field time together until the regular season.  I can see why some might think this is the latest case of BB trying to outsmart himself for sure.

Yeah Tampa was kicking the tires on that loon Incognito. They obviously thought better of it.

There are always a bunch of teams that get decimated lines during the course of the season. The Incognito stuff has been off the back pages for a while. If signing Incognito helps a team not get its prized QB killed...they'll do it. He will be on an NFL roster when this season ends.

There are always a bunch of teams that get decimated lines during the course of the season. The Incognito stuff has been off the back pages for a while. If signing Incognito helps a team not get its prized QB killed...they'll do it. He will be on an NFL roster when this season ends.

No doubt about it. Someone will sign him.

Dalton's extension includes a $12 million signing bonus and a $5 million roster bonus. The contract has a base value of $96 million, and he can earn $19 million more through incentives.

Even $16 million a year for above average is still absurdity......

Generally I'd agree this gave me a little pause about Dalton however:

Bv2lJnXIgAAxtKj.png

Peyton's first three years might as well have taken place on a different planet, the way the game is played now.  1998 might as well be 1888.  Peyton's first season drags down his overall numbers in that three-year sample as well...he threw 26 TD and 28 INT his rookie year (on a 3-13 Colts team).  Andy Dalton's been pretty good overall in three seasons, never great, while Manning (despite issues that always seem to plague him in big games) was already showing signs of being able to put up big numbers in his third season.  I think it's a flawed comparison. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

BB's taking some flak for this in the local media...people up there are joking and wondering if he's become obsessed with former Rutgers players.  It's one of those issues that people will write about and have takes on until the season gets going.  But BB will get a lot of criticism if this doesn't work out. 

lol why would BB care about getting Rutgers players?  I guess maybe his buddy Schiano would put in a good word for them since he was there till the last couple years but still.  Maybe it's become like Lou bringing back ex-Devils, a predictable meme.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Former Pats QB Ryan Mallett traded to the Texans for a conditional 7th-rounder (becomes a 6th-rounder if he takes 40% of the Texans' snaps).

Some fans are saying that the Pats using up a 3rd-rounder to draft Mallett in 2011 was a waste, but I understand why they did it.  Mallett was projected as a first-rounder by some, and I think the Pats figured they had a potential starter who wouldn't cost much in terms of $$$ who might be able to step in if Brady ever got hurt (this obviously never happened).  They also probably hoped, if Mallett ever lit it up in preseason, a team might be willing to cough up a 2nd or even a 1st-round pick, which obviously also never happened...Mallett never really looked terribly good in most of his preseason appearances (a lot of nose-into-the-grounds on short throws), and it took all of a couple of games for Jimmy Garopollo to knock Mallett down to the #3 QB on their depth chart...as he didn't really have any further value to the Pats, they got what they could for him.  It was pretty clear that Mallett had a minimal shot to ever take over for Brady anyway, barring Brady suffering a serious injury...Garopollo has a much better chance to be the Patriot QB of the future.

At any rate, the fact that he was a 3rd-rounder draft choice with no prior NFL track record meant the Pats didn't have to pay him much to hold a clipboard, so in terms of saving money on the backup QB position, it was a win for the Pats, even if they didn't get much back for him.