Devils re-sign Bryce Salvador

Amberite

Shoalts is a fool. There are lots of horrendous deals if you are not going to the cap - that is one of the dumber things I've ever heard you say, and you don't say dumb stuff.

It doesn't effect you. They have a year to year budget and alot of space coming off next year. The thing that made the Pandolfo deal so fvcking awful was that they were a big spending cap team. Those are the kinds of deals that kill you, because you lose your ability to maneuver, it even makes trading difficult. In this case, who cares, it means 1) either they have their Parise price in the budget or 2) he's not signing here. Anyway they have a defensive logjam and will have to clear someone out because in a world where everyone is healthy, Larsson doesn't even play. I do not believe they intend that to be the case. Right now, he'd be in the A because Harrold has a one-way and you know how much the Devils loathe having one-ways in the minors. Hell, it cost them Stralman last year.

No. When someone retires, they forfeit the remaining money on the contract.

However, with the over 35 contract, the team's cap hit remains for the original contract length.

So, I guess, these three contracts that I mentioned previously could help the Devils financially in the future to reach the cap floor if things get worse financially.

Edited by Devilsfan118

It doesn't effect you. They have a year to year budget and alot of space coming off next year. The thing that made the Pandolfo deal so fvcking awful was that they were a big spending cap team. Those are the kinds of deals that kill you, because you lose your ability to maneuver, it even makes trading difficult. In this case, who cares, it means 1) either they have their Parise price in the budget or 2) he's not signing here. Anyway they have a defensive logjam and will have to clear someone out because in a world where everyone is healthy, Larsson doesn't even play. I do not believe they intend that to be the case. Right now, he'd be in the A because Harrold has a one-way and you know how much the Devils loathe having one-ways in the minors. Hell, it cost them Stralman last year.

I'm sorry, but this is all wrong. Salvador was NJ's worst 5 on 5 defenseman last year (besides Kurtis Foster, naturally). The problem is that the Devils are paying a not-good player who is over 35, who was never particularly good to begin with, and they're paying him like he is an average defenseman. He isn't, and he's only going to get worse, and they have lots of D prospects who are going to be blocked by this horrible contract.

Again...I love armchair GM season, let everything play out over the off-season before you judge Lou's work. The man just led us to the SCF...jeez, how soon you all forget.

Personally I think we totally over-achieved in 2012, so with all of the 'status quo' signings, it leaves me to wonder how they'll catch lightning in a bottle again next year....

At least there isn't a NTC or NMC present in the deal. Should things settle out financially, he could be traded / buried.

His cap hit cant be buried unless the over 35 thing miraculously changes in the next cba. Its trade or suck. The deal is awful, no two ways around it: too long, too much money, and to the wrong player.

simply awful. unless lou is dealing one of the top 4 for a top 6 forward, this makes zero sense. i mean, if he deals say greene, tedenby, urbom and a 2nd for bobby ryan, i guess i'll be ok with this.

actuall, no matter what it makes zero sense. this is simply a terrible indefensible decision.

i have only one possible scenario where i would find this acceptable and it is so ludicrous that i'm sure it's not happening:

parise told lou that sal has to stay and he will take 8/60 if he does.

I'm not crazy about the length either and I'm a bit worried about the log jam at D but I'm giving Lou the benefit of the doubt here. Salvador was excellent all last year for us, while he's no spring chicken...if he can give us good physical shut down play then I'll be content.

I'm sorry, but this is all wrong. Salvador was NJ's worst 5 on 5 defenseman last year (besides Kurtis Foster, naturally). The problem is that the Devils are paying a not-good player who is over 35, who was never particularly good to begin with, and they're paying him like he is an average defenseman. He isn't, and he's only going to get worse, and they have lots of D prospects who are going to be blocked by this horrible contract.

How was he the worst 5 on 5 defenseman when he out +'s every regular defenseman by 15. I'm sure he was a huge + on the PK, but c'mon. Definitely was better than Volch 5 on 5 because Volch does PK too and was only a +3.

This! Just an absolute dumbass fvcking signing. Are you fvcking serious? C'mon Lou? You suck!

I don't care about the concussion thing - whatever, that's a risk. I care about the fact that he is ALREADY not good. Maybe if Lou got him at 2.5M per, this makes sense, but it's just a horrible move for a team that has Merrill, Urbom, and Gelinas as potential 3rd pairing LD in the near future.

You can't put a price on Leadership and hockey smarts. This was a very good signing.

Shocked I am.

I think Lou feels Zach isn't coming back or he would not have spent this amount of coin on Bryce.

I think just the opposite, he wants to show Zach that the keyparts of the Team that went to the finals will be back.

How was he the worst 5 on 5 defenseman when he out +'s every regular defenseman by 15. I'm sure he was a huge + on the PK, but c'mon. Definitely was better than Volch 5 on 5 because Volch does PK too and was only a +3.

Salvador was a -1 at 5 on 5 with empty net situations removed. That's why +/- is a total joke.

Fenwick by player:

Zidlicky: 53.4%

Volchenkov: 52.1%

Fayne: 51.5%

Greene: 51.3%

Tallinder: 50.8%

Larsson: 49.6%

...and, of course

Salvador: 46.7%