(N)Єverson Retires

msweet

How did this get missed?

* Finally, a fond farewell from these pages to my good friend and longtime colleague Mark (N)Єverson, who has retired to days of vineyards and roses following a career in which he distinguished himself by talking truth to power. The Post will miss him, hockey will miss him, and so will our profession.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/spurn_baby_spurn_w7ZnlNQzWiCEHtYADhkwrJ/1

Triumph broke the news in the lockout thread, but this is definitely worthy of its own thread.

How did this get missed?

* Finally, a fond farewell from these pages to my good friend and longtime colleague Mark (N)Єverson, who has retired to days of vineyards and roses following a career in which he distinguished himself by talking truth to power. The Post will miss him, hockey will miss him, and so will our profession.

:haha2:

The guy wrote for a tabloid rag and with a schtick at that (appeal to the mostly NY audience reading the Post by shoehorning in '94 and Messier references where they didn't even make any sense), because he wasn't good enough to just tell it like it was without having to resort to a schtick. He's instantly forgettable.

This is probably the last chance I'll get to give him credit for breaking the story of Sutter leaving town WAY before anyone else could even dream of it. Aside from that, I can't think of any nice things to say about his reporting.

Can't wait to see who the Post hands out beat to.

This is probably the last chance I'll get to give him credit for breaking the story of Sutter leaving town WAY before anyone else could even dream of it. Aside from that, I can't think of any nice things to say about his reporting.

Most likely no-one and we will be covered in the Post as much as the Islanders now, which is very very little. I really don't buy he retired as I believe he was younger than Brooksie and most likely he was either fired or left because of some kind of emergency such as illness.

He might be a tool, but at least he covered the Devils and gave them exposure in a pretty widely-read newspaper in the NY Metro market, which is the Devils market. Now its another loss for the Devils.

I have a funny feeling that (N)Єverson's job was downsized and the Post will be eliminating the Devils beat writer going forward. Print media is dying as it is, so it wouldn't shock me if this was the case. Maybe he can finally team up with Єklund (2.3% accurate), so we can have 1 source to go to for all of our "insider" NHL news and rumours.

Edited by Chuck the Duck

I thought he died after we knocked out his beloved-Rangers last Spring :yay:

Eastern Conference Champs !

I think he was an Islander fan...I'm not sure but I think he covered the Rangers in the early 80s, while Brooks covered the Devils, and for some reason, both Brooks and Neverson asked the Post if they could switch teams shortly after the Devils moved here. But I remember seeing or reading somewhere that, as far as his rooting interest went, he was actually an Islander guy.

The real concern is whether the Post will assign us a beat writer to replace (N)Єverson. As bad as (N)Єverson was, his beat writing constituted a regular article in the Post (and not some short AP game summary).

Edited by devlman

A recent history of the NHL, according to (N)Єverson and I'd assume most of his readers...

1991-92 - Messier demands to become a Ranger because he knows how wondrous it is to play on a team that hasn't won in 50 years.

1992-93 - Season didn't count.

1993-94 - Most glorious season of all time. Rangers defeat Devils, win Cup, a golden age for hockey in the US. Matteau is my faves.

1994-95 - No season.

1995-96 - No season. Gretzky demands to be a Ranger.

1996-97 - Rangers defeat Panthers and Devils in playoffs, then the season is mysteriously cancelled for no reason.

1997-98 - No season.

1998-99 - No season.

1999-00 - No season. Don't look it up. Nothing happened.

2000-01 - No season.

2001-02 - No season.

2002-03 - Absolutely no season.

2003-04 - No season.

2004-05 - Season cancelled because of how boring the Devils and their trap was.

2005-06 - Um.. I think hockey was still locked out.... yeah. It was... no season...

2006-07 - No season.

2007-08 - Rangers beat Devils! HA! In your FACE!! Then remainder of season mysteriously cancelled.

2008-09 - No season

2009-10 - No season.

2010-11 - No season.

2011-12 - Rangers defeat Ottawa and Washington in thrilling 7 game series full of heroics and high paced offense, and then season mysteriously cancelled.

• Like 2

A recent history of the NHL, according to (N)Єverson and I'd assume most of his readers...

1991-92 - Messier demands to become a Ranger because he knows how wondrous it is to play on a team that hasn't won in 50 years.

1992-93 - Season didn't count.

1993-94 - Most glorious season of all time. Rangers defeat Devils, win Cup, a golden age for hockey in the US. Matteau is my faves.

1994-95 - No season.

1995-96 - No season. Gretzky demands to be a Ranger.

1996-97 - Rangers defeat Panthers and Devils in playoffs, then the season is mysteriously cancelled for no reason.

1997-98 - No season.

1998-99 - No season.

1999-00 - No season. Don't look it up. Nothing happened.

2000-01 - No season.

2001-02 - No season.

2002-03 - Absolutely no season.

2003-04 - No season.

2004-05 - Season cancelled because of how boring the Devils and their trap was.

2005-06 - Um.. I think hockey was still locked out.... yeah. It was... no season...

2006-07 - No season.

2007-08 - Rangers beat Devils! HA! In your FACE!! Then remainder of season mysteriously cancelled.

2008-09 - No season

2009-10 - No season.

2010-11 - No season.

2011-12 - Rangers defeat Ottawa and Washington in thrilling 7 game series full of heroics and high paced offense, and then season mysteriously cancelled.

I swear this is exactly how my Rags-fan older brother remembers the past 20 seasons of hockey lol.

Pretty funny DD56...I don't think Neverson was nearly that bad.

I know a lot of Ranger fans who ARE though...that is almost EXACTLY how that type of Ranger fans see things. I remember on HF, how some of them insisted that the only way the Devils could ever get past '94 was to win the Cup last season, that the series win over the Rangers wouldn't mean anything otherwise.

Of course, I made the mistake of pointing out that Devils fans got over '94 a long time ago, by virtue of five SC Finals appearances, three of which resulted in Cup wins...one of which came the VERY SEASON after the Rangers bought won their Cup in '94. And that life went on for every single fanbase in '95 and on, except for Ranger fans and their franchise, who seem to find any and all excuses to celebrate '94 yet again. Nope, the NHL's dumbest fanbase didn't want to hear it..., in Rangerland, Devils fans are still upset about '94 and have never gotten over it and never will. Duuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Pretty funny DD56...I don't think Neverson was nearly that bad.

I know a lot of Ranger fans who ARE though...that is almost EXACTLY how that type of Ranger fans see things. I remember on HF, how some of them insisted that the only way the Devils could ever get past '94 was to win the Cup last season, that the series win over the Rangers wouldn't mean anything otherwise.

Of course, I made the mistake of pointing out that Devils fans got over '94 a long time ago, by virtue of five SC Finals appearances, three of which resulted in Cup wins...one of which came the VERY SEASON after the Rangers bought won their Cup in '94. And that life went on for every single fanbase in '95 and on, except for Ranger fans and their franchise, who seem to find any and all excuses to celebrate '94 yet again. Nope, the NHL's dumbest fanbase didn't want to hear it..., in Rangerland, Devils fans are still upset about '94 and have never gotten over it and never will. Duuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

lol their logic is certainly funny. Yes it is Devils fans keeping the memories of 1994 alive by their sorrow over their loss, not Ranger fans constantly mentioning 94 every chance they can get.

Never mind we didn't retire half the team from our Cup teams.

Never mind MSG doesn't show replays of the 1994 season from a Devils point of view

Never mind we dont have fans trolling Rags boards with Henrique in the sn just to screw with them

the list just goes on and on....

In fairness, intelligent Ranger fans (sounds like an oxymoron, I know, but they DO exist) hate that type of Ranger fan as well, and are embarrassed by them. But I haven't met that many intelligent Ranger fans.

My favorite (N)Єverson series will always be in 2000 when he wrote several articles about why the Devils had to trade for Mark Messier. Oh I wish the Internet had as long a memory then as it does now - who knows if those columns are online and lord knows searching '(N)Єverson Messier' will probably come up with about a thousand Post articles, but they were Pulitzer worthy.

My favorite (N)Єverson series will always be in 2000 when he wrote several articles about why the Devils had to trade for Mark Messier. Oh I wish the Internet had as long a memory then as it does now - who knows if those columns are online and lord knows searching '(N)Єverson Messier' will probably come up with about a thousand Post articles, but they were Pulitzer worthy.

I remember that very well. When the Devils were down 3-1 to the Flyers, he was already writing about how Lou's failure to acquire Messier had cost the Devils the Cup. But yeah, it was a lot of articles...Neverson really beat that dead horse until there was nothing left on that horse to beat.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

He also broke the Kovalchuk signing way before everyone else too. We all gave him no credit for it and said he was talking out his a$$ but he actually had the contract almost exactly right.

I think he was an Islander fan...I'm not sure but I think he covered the Rangers in the early 80s, while Brooks covered the Devils, and for some reason, both Brooks and Neverson asked the Post if they could switch teams shortly after the Devils moved here. But I remember seeing or reading somewhere that, as far as his rooting interest went, he was actually an Islander guy.

You're right. It's better stated that he hated the Devils & knew that the Rags references were the best way to piss off the Devs fan-base

Remember that like it was yesterday. I vividly remember sitting in the student lounge at William Paterson in between classes reading one of those articles, it was maybe 2 weeks before the trade deadline. I couldn't mentally comprehend Mark Messier as a Devil, the mere suggestion made me twitch. I remember being horrified by the very idea.