A Brief Look Around the East

Derlique

Let me preface this by saying I am really bored during this storm and have some time to kill. Anyway, this thread is by no means a "We're screwed" thread. I also realize that it is only July and Lou still has time to make moves.

Atlantic

NJ Devils:

Key Losses- Zach Parise, Alexei Ponikarovsky

Key Additions-

Obviously there are some big holes to fill in the top 9. Lou's best bet is to deal one of our dmen for help up front. Going into battle in October (?), I do NOT feel comfortable with the lineup. I'd predict a 6-10 finish

NY Rangers:

Key Losses- Artem Anisimov, Brandon Dubinsky

Key Additions- Rick Nash, Jeff Halpern

While I think Nash is overrated and certainly not worth his contract, he is going to help their offense. With that being said, the Rags certainly got there fair share of shooting luck and didnt have to deal with a lot of injuries despite the style they play. I could see them being a 4-6 team in the east

NY Islanders-

Key Losses- PA Parenteau

Key Additions- Lubomir Visnovsky

With the acquisition of Visnovsky, the Isles are getting a quality offensive dman. However, the Slovak has appealed the legitimacy of the transaction. With or without him, I cant see the Isles finishing much better than last year

Philadelphia Flyers

Key Losses- James Van Riemsdyk, Jaromir Jagr, Sergei Bobrovsky,Matt Carle The respect of 29 NHL GMs

Key Additions- Luke Schenn, Ruslan Fedotenko

It wouldnt be summer if the Flyers werent trying to overhaul their roster. It is obvious that the Flyers need(ed) help on the blueline, so they addressed it in some unconventional ways. Why Homer decided to deal JVR (a solid 2nd liner with 30 g potential) for Luke Schenn was a mystery to many, but it was the enormous offer sheet that RFA Shea Weber signed that grabbed the headlines. The Weber-less Flyers defense has not gotten much better (if at all). Look for Couturier, Schenn and Voracek to play a bigger role offensively. They will probably finish around the same position.

Pittsburgh Penguins-

Key Losses- Jordan Staal, Steve Sullivan

Key Additions- Brandon Sutter, Tomas Vokoun

It appears the Pens decided to address the poor play of MA Fleury in the playoffs. They signed former Vezina candidate Tomas Vokoun to back him up. Whether this is meant to give Fleury competition or rest remains to be seen, but if the Pens stay healthy, they can challenge for the Presidents Trophy

Northeast

Boston Bruins-

Key Losses- Brian bleepin Rolston (lolol), Tim Thomas

Key Additions-

The only real change for the B's will be in net. For whatever reason, Tim Thomas has decided to go MIA and will let the youngster,Tuuka Rask, take the reigns. Rask has shown the ability to be an elite netminder in the past and should have little trouble succeeding

Buffalo Sabres-

Key Losses- Derek Roy, Brad Boyes

Key Additions- Steve Ott

The Sabres essentially traded the skilled Derek Roy for elite grinder Steve Ott. However, not much else has changed. If Tyler Ennis, Nathan Gerbe and Cody Hodgson continue to develop, the Sabres could sneak into the dance. Of course the X factor is Ryan Miller

Montreal Canadiens-

Key Losses-

Key Additions- Alex Galchenyuk (?), Brandon Prust

It appears the Habs will go to war with a very similar team they iced last year. If guys like Markov and Gionta stay healthy, they could have a rebound year

Ottawa Senators-

Key Losses- Nick Foligno, Filip Kuba

Key Additions- Guillaume Latendresse, Mark Methot

Here is a team I could see sliding down a bit. I dont see Alfredsson, Spezza and Karlsson having the same success. However, they do have some young guns who could make an impact

Toronto Maple Leafs-

Key Losses- Luke Schenn

Key Additions- JVR

LOL not worth my time

Southeast

Carolina Hurricanes-

Key Losses- Brandon Sutter

Key Additions- Jordan Staal, Alexander Semin, Joe Corvo

This is a team that scares me. They added two very good top 6 forwards and I think their defense will improve. Pitkanen, Gleason, McBain, Faulk, Harrison and Corvo is not shabby at all. Of course they still have Cam Ward in goal. They are definitely the early favorites in the division

Florida Panthers-

Key Losses- Jason Garrison

Key Additions- Peter Mueller, Filip Kuba, Jonathan Huberdeau

The feel story that was the Florida Panthers look poised to make the playoffs for a second straight year. The additions of Huberdeau and Mueller up front will give them more depth. However, Jose Theodore and Scott Clemmmensen in net could be a problem

Tampa Bay Lightning-

Key Losses- Dwayne Roloson

Key Additions- Anders Lindback, Sami Salo, Matt Carle

Due to injuries on defense and the awful play from Roloson, TB missed the playoffs after reaching the ECF the year before. Lindback is a question mark, but he is a huge goalie with outstanding reflexes (not a bad combo). If he plays well, look for them to challenger for a playoff spot

Washington Capitals-

Key Losses- Alexander Semin, Tomas Vokoun, Dennis Wideman

Key Additions- Mike Ribeiro

The Adam Oates led Capitals will look to build on their success from last year. Even though they lost key contributors from each position, they still have enough talent to win the division. The good news is that they got the 2nd line center they finally looking for

Winnipeg Jets-

Key Losses- Tanner Glass

Key Additions- Alexei Ponikarovsky, Olli Jokinen, Al Montoya

They Jets added two top 9 forwards and lost a 4th liner. Not a bad trade off. If Evander Kane, Alex Burmistrov and Zach Bogosian take the next step forward, they have a shot to make the playoffs

Edited by DevilMinder
added tags

Solid post and good discussion to have. Don't have time for my thoughts right now, but on a quick glance, I can see some "key losses" missing for some teams. Isles with Parenteau. Panthers with Garrison. Some "key additions" missing include the Lightning with Carle. Habs with Prust. Islanders with Erik Boulton. Devils, obviously, with Kris Barch(y).

Edited by devilsrule33

Solid post and good discussion to have. Don't have time for my thoughts right now, but on a quick glance, I can see some "key losses" missing for some teams. Isles with Parenteau. Panthers with Garrison. Some "key additions" missing include the Lightning with Carle. Habs with Prust. Islanders with Erik Boulton. Devils, obviously, with Kris Barch(y).

Good call. I'll edit them in my post.

I think you could make a better case that they aren't after losing Parise, while many teams in the East have gotten a lot better. I'm just a little too lazy right now to make that case, haha.

I'm not too sure a full year of Zidlicky and Zajac doesn't help a lot more than people think.

I'm not too sure a full year of Zidlicky and Zajac doesn't help a lot more than people think.

They obviously help, but every team in the league can sight injured players returning that will improve their team. Fans usually only focus on their own team's injuries (not saying you). Pittsburgh with Crosby and Letang. Carolina with Pitknanen and Skinner. Washington with Backstrom and Green. Philly with Meszaros and Schenn. Canadians with Gionta, Gomes and Markov.

One thing the Devils have always relied on is the shootout. Been talked about a lot here last season, and who knows if the success continues without Parise. He becomes a lot more valuable when you take that success into account.

One thing the Devils have always relied on is the shootout. Been talked about a lot here last season, and who knows if the success continues without Parise. He becomes a lot more valuable when you take that success into account.

I was thinking about this earlier. Parise was clutch in shootouts - usually. He did go on a serious cold streak for a while this past season, though. If Kovalchuk continues to go first, and Elias is fine being the anchor in third, the second spot could be a bit of a competition among the team.

Also, I hate feeling like I'm nit-picking, but in the original post Brandon Prust is not listed as a "key loss" for the Rangers... but I feel like the Rangers are really hoping Taylor Pyatt (key addition) can fill his shoes. Prust is a pest, but he's capable of producing offensively and he was a key component of their penalty kill last season.

The Fedotenko/Asham out/in doesn't quite make the "key" level, I don't feel.

I feel like we should try to get Jonathon Cheechoo .... we can get him cheap and he still has skill I know it

Unless you've got a time machine and a way to lure Joe Thornton to New Jersey to play for the Devils, he's not worth it. His skating is horrible and he's just not the same shooter he was when Thorton was setting him up. He put up 20+ goals in the AHL last season, but as much as I dislike the idea of re-upping Sykora... Sykora's better for the Devils than Cheechoo.

If Albany needs depth at forward, sign him to an AHL contract.

To elaborate re: Sykora - I dislike re-signing him because I doubt he'll reach 20 goals again this season. Probably closer to 15. And when he's not scoring, he's not actively contributing to the team in other ways. Unfortunately, short of a trade, there aren't really any other wingers on the UFA market that could even be counted on for 15 goals and mesh into the Devils' system easily. Eric Fehr is a gamble... terrible offense last year after shoulder surgeries, but decent defense and physicality down the stretch; Andrei Kostitsyn is an enigma... he'll give 15 goals, but who knows if he'd buy into the system; Andrew Brunette is a million years old, ditto Mike Knuble.

He's the safe choice, though. If Lou really wanted to gamble on in-camp competitions and add depth, I could see re-signing Sykora and also giving Kostitsyn a shot. The latter requires probably too much $, though.

Sykora was/is not that good. From time to time after the midway point I forgot he was still part of the team.

Parise is pretty good. But he alone is not what makes the Devils the best team in the Eastern conference.

I was away on military bull for most of the summer until last week, so I was kind of insulated from the comings and goings in the hockey world. Where I left off with the hockey world was the Devils playing on TV in the cup finals. So I guess that's where I'm picking up. But the idea that the Rangers and Flyers, who we just made short work of, are going to be better teams than us seems really out there to me. Parise was by no means a dominant or decisive force on the ice during those contests.

Not that I'm confronting the thread starter or anything, I just feel like I'm taking crazy pills with the attitude around here.

Even if we make a marginal move to sure up a few positions I don't see this team being much worse then last year in the regular season. Remember we didn't have Zajac for most of the season so a healthy Zajac minus Parise should net us the same basic point total give or take a few. Plus the Rangers aren't that good as last season seemed to show, Flyers are a little worse to flat, and the Pens get Crosby back healthy but Staal was a great player to have in your lineup and they didn't really do anything for the D and who knows where MAF is now.