‏Zach Parise has agreed to terms with the Minnesota Wild

Daniel

If that's the case, then it could get a little tricky. In both of these contracts, the salary in each of the first two years is $2M. The other $10M comes from signing bonuses. I guess those all get lumped together for cap purposes? Because if it goes by pure salary, then the value wouldn't be able to drop by more than $1M a year.

Signing bonuses count when they're paid, I believe. Capgeek lists them as such.

Question:

Has any player past or present ever played Parise's style of game effectively beyond their lat 20's? I don't recall any...

The majority of forwards that seem to be effective past their mid 20's have great vision and shooting skills which I believe Parise lacked. Kovalchuk however has the skills that are effective as a player ages.

ZP's goals come from within 10 feet of the net, and he is going to have a harder and harder time getting those.

and has been having a harder and harder time getting those.

Just my $.02 after taking yesterday to calm down about this a little.

First, Zach was a great player for us. Not only did he consistently put up points, his presence with Kovy gave us a dynamic scoring line that was a threat each time they were on the ice. He was the motor of this team and losing him will hurt, greatly. I understand everyone is angry and upset with how he handled things, what he said previously, and didn't say, but his competitiveness was unquestioned and when he said he gave everything he had on a nightly basis, I would agree with him. I still think this team can be competitive without him, but we are not nearly as good today as we were a month ago. And with no forward

depth in the organization, no easy answers are to be found from within. However, Parise is not worth $100 million, especially to a team that, according to the NY Post "sources" is about to declare bankruptcy. :rolleyes: Therefore, I have conflicting emotions today, as I surely will miss watching Parise play 82+ games per year in a Devils jersey, but would not have wanted any part of the ridiculous contract (in terms of both years and $) that he got from Minnesota.

You can't just replace Parise with someone like Semin. On a line with Kovy, you need the other wing to forecheck and dig pucks out of the corners. You need someone to be able to stickhandle in tight spaces with great effect. Semin has a great shot, but he doesn't possess those skills. Maybe Henrique will be able to do it, but we will be asking him to play an unnatural position and also decrease our strength down the middle in the process. For my money, the best option would be a trade for Ryan, depending on the price.

Amazingly, the team that is sitting back and watching all of this unfold with a great big smile has to be the Rags. Over the past 3 weeks, all of their major rivals have gotten markedly worse since last season (Devils - lose Parise; Flyers - lose Carle and Jagr - who had great chemistry with Giroux and Hartnell, and helped turn Sideshow Bob into a legit scoring threat; Pens - lose Staal and Michalek and replace them with "prospects"; Isles - well, who really gives a sh!t). Meanwhile, the Rags continue to stock up on goons like its 1974, but generally return their entire roster that still can't score more than 1-2 goals per game, but was good enough for first in the East during the regular season and a loss to us in the ECF.

It will be interesting to see what comes next for this team. This one hurt, a lot. However, we've been through it before with Niedermayer (IMO it was much worse losing Nieds than Parise), and somehow we always find a way to survive.

Signing bonuses count when they're paid, I believe. Capgeek lists them as such.

I was finally able to find some other info on it. In short, the only difference between salary and signing bonus is when the player receives the money. For cap purposes, they're treated as one and the same.

This tweet sums up everything.

Well thank the maker for Baghdad bob-esque propaganda.

The guy wearing the sweater is pretty important. If you don't think that, then you must be pretty stoked about signing Krys F'n Barch.

This tweet sums up everything.

its true but put... Jim Carey instead of Brodeur, Stephane Quintal instead of Niedermayer, Brad Werenka instead of Stevens, Jamie Rivers instead of Daneyko and Andre Savage instead of Elias... not sure those jerseys would have done it lol

Oh I think Elias is done after 2 more seasons. Likely by his choice.....However I think he has less than 60 goals left in his career. He may play a 3rd year if its needed to reach 1000 pts.

Just my .02

Elias is still producing in his old age. I expect him to put up 55-60 at the worst this year, and similar numbers the year after. He will play for another year or 2 after his current deal expires.

Elias is still producing in his old age. I expect him to put up 55-60 at the worst this year, and similar numbers the year after. He will play for another year or 2 after his current deal expires.

I doubt either of these things very much. I think Elias got a huge dose of luck to put up 77 points and that he'll be back down around 50 points per 82 games this season. He's a really smart player but he's not totally ageless.

I doubt either of these things very much. I think Elias got a huge dose of luck to put up 77 points and that he'll be back down around 50 points per 82 games this season. He's a really smart player but he's not totally ageless.

I would be shocked if Elias put up close to 77 points this year. If he plays with Kovalchuk for the most of the year, then I might be wrong, but Elias had the quietest top 10 scoring season ever. It certainly was a little lucky.

My main concern is major drop offs from Elias and Clarkson. Couple that with the loss of Zach and potentially Sykora's 20+ goals, and the Devils need some help up front.

50 is LIGHT YEARS away from the 55-60 I predicted...lol

D'Alessandro: Don't blame Zach Parise for his decision, it's all business

Things happen fast in this league, to a disturbing degree. Case in point: We had just learned how to spell “Ponikarovsky,” only to find out there is no longer such a need.

Sorry, too soon?

We know you’re in a yeasty frame of mind today, but you had to see this coming. We’re living in an age when money does the talking, when marketing actually governs personnel decisions, and when agents convince their guys there is a five-year window in which they can either seize the spotlight or occupy some lonely address where has-beens are the principle tenants.

Somehow, we all bought into how the Devils were different from all the rest, specifically because Zach Parise told us so — told us that paycheck and environment are secondary concerns to the stuff that really matters.

You heard him, just 21 days ago: “I’ve said all along, I love playing here and I’ve always appreciated everything that this organization has done for me,” he crooned. “My feelings have never changed.”

Until, you know, someone opened Parise’s mind to the reality that there are a dozen better rinks to skate in, with St. Paul pretty much on anybody’s top six list.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2012/07/dalessandro_dont_blame_zach_pa.html

Where do I start? Zach Parise was the complete package. How he handled his exit has me bitter and angry. From his rookie year he was different then all the other rising stars. He didn't have the quickest release, biggest net presence, etc. but he played with tons of heart. Every shift he gave 110% and wasn't afraid to get punished for success. He helped us in many ways. Unfortunately he let the fan base down after saying such positive things about wanting to return and how New Jersey was where he wanted to play and how his number one priority was to get something worked out here no matter what.

"First and foremost, we want to try to get things worked out with New Jersey." - Zach Parise

Apparently money wasn't the issue then what was? Or was Parise just lying to us? I though he wanted to win? Parise said he loves living and playing in New Jersey, Lou said that the offer he gave Parise wasn't problem, couple those with all the comments about how Parise's first priority was to re-sign with New Jersey…shouldn't he of signed then based on what has said time again and again. I see that he wanted to play in his home state. If I was in the NHL and had 6 or 7 dedicated years with Minnesota and I hit UFA and NJ gave me a great offer I would probably leave too to play in my homestate. The thing that bugs me is all "sweet" and "nice" comment Parise made about wanting to return. As the captain of a franchise two wins from its 4th Stanley Cup, he gave us all false hope. He must of knew all along of Minnesota and his dream of playing there. He covered it all up and made us think he was coming back. Thats what bugs me. Thats what irks me beyond believe.

• Like 1

Really curious what everyone would say about Marty if Lot didn't pay him and he went to the Habs???

Regardless of how you feel about ZP, there is a huge void to fill. Not sure who Lou could convince to play with the Devils, but he needs to get it done.

IMO.....Kovy has no business wearing the C. Way too many turnovers.....pretty much a defensive nightmare. A leader has to lead by example......bottom line!

Really curious what everyone would say about Marty if Lot didn't pay him and he went to the Habs???

Regardless of how you feel about ZP, there is a huge void to fill. Not sure who Lou could convince to play with the Devils, but he needs to get it done.

IMO.....Kovy has no business wearing the C. Way too many turnovers.....pretty much a defensive nightmare. A leader has to lead by example......bottom line!

It would have sucked if Marty left, but I think a lot of people would have felt that he'd earned it after nearly 20 years of loyalty. A lot of people are upset because Zach left at his first chance and after a stressful 4 days of back and forth.

As for Kovy... Leading the team in scoring on the way to the Stanley Cup finals with a debilitating back injury isn't leading by example? That's pretty much the leadership you should want...

• Like 2

It would have sucked if Marty left, but I think a lot of people would have felt that he'd earned it after nearly 20 years of loyalty. A lot of people are upset because Zach left at his first chance and after a stressful 4 days of back and forth.

As for Kovy... Leading the team in scoring on the way to the Stanley Cup finals with a debilitating back injury isn't leading by example? That's pretty much the leadership you should want...

+1

Is this PhillyDev or Chorske17?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.