Damien Brunner

2ELIAS6

found this over on HF.. just an article that has been translated into english that i thought was pretty interesting on brunner..seems like he doesn fell comfortable here and not fitting in with the team..could be another reason why he seems like a ghost lately.

He didn't say anything offending about the organization, most things come from the author of the article. And the author Nicola Berger (yes, the one who very early in the summer said that Brunner appeared to be close to sign with the Devils) is a guy who usually mainly covers Brunners' former swiss club EV Zug. Now he's traveling to the US every once in a while and does NHL coverage as well. He's said to be quite close to Brunner and obviously himself feels bad for the guy and puts lot of the blame on the organization.

Let me try a basic translation, by no means perfect, some parts make it hard for a non-professional to transfer the right meaning to english :

Lost in the world of the conformists

by Nicola Berger, as published by the Neue Zürcher Zeitung on nov 12, 2013, freely translated, by no means perfect by starfish

Damien Brunners' creativity isn't asked in NJs system, he's got two points in the last eleven matches. "Sometimes", Brunner says, "I feel like they don't really know what I'm best at here."

Nowhere in the NHL the players' everyday life is as restricted as in Newark, NJ, the big and aging city at the doorway to New York where the decay of the old, strong and shiny United States has long begun. With the New Jersey Devils Lou Lamoriello has it written on his banners to keep the order up, at least in his organization. Lamoriello, 71, bald patch, is said to be one of the most respected managers in all of us pro sports. In 26 years at the top of the New Jersey Devils he's won the Stanley Cup three times.

Discipline above everything

Lamoriello also appears to know what he does when he makes it part of the players' contracts that beards are only allowed during the playoffs. That they are not allowed to actively use Twitter or Facebook. That the hair may maximally reach their ears. That even on free days during traveling, suits have to be worn. Or that numbers with 30 may only be chosen in exceptional cases. If there were such disciplinary rules in Switzerland, there probably would be open riot. But Lamoriello calmly states:"In this organization things are done the way I say they are. If you don't like it, just leave."

Damien Brunner doesn't want to leave. He has only just arrived: On the 24th of September the 27-year old Swiss national player has signed with the Devils for two years and five million dollar. It was the conciliatory end of a frustrating summer for him, when he had to wait long to finally get an NHL offer. Ever since, Brunner tries to find his way in this cosmos of rules and orders. You can't say that he managed to do that especially well so far.

However, the orders off ice are only one thing and they're not the ones Brunner is struggling with. He's struggling with the tactical requirements put on him by coach Pete de Boer. In De Boers' system the Devils play the way they've always played during the Lamoriello era: Defense first, result-oriented, solid hockey - That's how a favorable description might sound like. Others would joke that the Devils played just as unattractive as the surroundings of Newark look like.

45-year old Pete De Boer instructs his players to play the puck along the boards into the offensive zone and then dig it out from there. There are no dribblings, no combinations, no one man rushes - and thus also no happy Damien Brunner.

The Zurich born is standing in the locker room at Prudential Center. It is Sunday, he's wearing his suit, a cap and has his car keys in his hand. No five minutes have passed since the 5:0 over Nashville. Brunner jokes: "I don't even have to take a shower after such a game." That is, not because the opponent was that weak, but because Brunner himself was a non factor in the game. He was put on the ice for 11 minutes and 24 seconds, which is nothing for someone who had twice as much ice time on good evenings with EV Zug. "Sometimes", Brunner says, "I feel like they don't really know what I'm capable of around here." [comment by starfish: the meaning of the german sentence lies somewhere between this translation and the one you find at the start of the article]

You can't really tell whether that is a fact or not, but in any case it does seem like the Devils have little interest to change anything about these circumstances. Brunner is everything what this team isn't; as an artist he's struggling among a group in which the system stands above all. He's an individualist in a world of conformists. And his stats show it: In 16 games for the Devils he has 4 goals and three assists, and after a promising start he's gone without a point for eleven matches. Brunner says:"I'm somewhat lost right now. I got zero confidence. Last time I played that bad I was 22 years old and played for the Kloten Flyers."[starfish:another swiss national league organization]

That was a long time ago, Brunner played at stadion Schluefweg on the fourth line and his career seemed to be about to come to an end. Ever since, however, the goalgetters' star has been raising, without interruptions for five years. Now he's again in a situation when things don't go the way he'd like them to and has to find a way to cope with it. "If this really was my best hockey, I can just as well simply throw my skates away and do something else." But he still hasn't lost the certainty that everything will turn out to the better eventually.

Detroit is the past

After all he has already shown that he's of NHL caliber, in the shortened season when he played along superstars Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg and didn't leave a bad impression next to the two. Does he regret having declined Detroits' offer for two years and five million in June? The more so as he did fit in better with their system? Brunner gives a clear answer: "No." This decision was made and is a thing of the past. He'd rather do something positive in the present. If only New Jersey let him.

Edited by Sik02gt

found this over on HF.. just an article that has been translated into english that i thought was pretty interesting on brunner..seems like he doesn fell comfortable here and not fitting in with the team..could be another reason why he seems like a ghost lately.

He didn't say anything offending about the organization, most things come from the author of the article. And the author Nicola Berger (yes, the one who very early in the summer said that Brunner appeared to be close to sign with the Devils) is a guy who usually mainly covers Brunners' former swiss club EV Zug. Now he's traveling to the US every once in a while and does NHL coverage as well. He's said to be quite close to Brunner and obviously himself feels bad for the guy and puts lot of the blame on the organization.

Let me try a basic translation, by no means perfect, some parts make it hard for a non-professional to transfer the right meaning to english :

Lost in the world of the conformists

by Nicola Berger, as published by the Neue Zürcher Zeitung on nov 12, 2013, freely translated, by no means perfect by starfish

Damien Brunners' creativity isn't asked in NJs system, he's got two points in the last eleven matches. "Sometimes", Brunner says, "I feel like they don't really know what I'm best at here."

Nowhere in the NHL the players' everyday life is as restricted as in Newark, NJ, the big and aging city at the doorway to New York where the decay of the old, strong and shiny United States has long begun. With the New Jersey Devils Lou Lamoriello has it written on his banners to keep the order up, at least in his organization. Lamoriello, 71, bald patch, is said to be one of the most respected managers in all of us pro sports. In 26 years at the top of the New Jersey Devils he's won the Stanley Cup three times.

Discipline above everything

Lamoriello also appears to know what he does when he makes it part of the players' contracts that beards are only allowed during the playoffs. That they are not allowed to actively use Twitter or Facebook. That the hair may maximally reach their ears. That even on free days during traveling, suits have to be worn. Or that numbers with 30 may only be chosen in exceptional cases. If there were such disciplinary rules in Switzerland, there probably would be open riot. But Lamoriello calmly states:"In this organization things are done the way I say they are. If you don't like it, just leave."

Damien Brunner doesn't want to leave. He has only just arrived: On the 24th of September the 27-year old Swiss national player has signed with the Devils for two years and five million dollar. It was the conciliatory end of a frustrating summer for him, when he had to wait long to finally get an NHL offer. Ever since, Brunner tries to find his way in this cosmos of rules and orders. You can't say that he managed to do that especially well so far.

However, the orders off ice are only one thing and they're not the ones Brunner is struggling with. He's struggling with the tactical requirements put on him by coach Pete de Boer. In De Boers' system the Devils play the way they've always played during the Lamoriello era: Defense first, result-oriented, solid hockey - That's how a favorable description might sound like. Others would joke that the Devils played just as unattractive as the surroundings of Newark look like.

45-year old Pete De Boer instructs his players to play the puck along the boards into the offensive zone and then dig it out from there. There are no dribblings, no combinations, no one man rushes - and thus also no happy Damien Brunner.

The Zurich born is standing in the locker room at Prudential Center. It is Sunday, he's wearing his suit, a cap and has his car keys in his hand. No five minutes have passed since the 5:0 over Nashville. Brunner jokes: "I don't even have to take a shower after such a game." That is, not because the opponent was that weak, but because Brunner himself was a non factor in the game. He was put on the ice for 11 minutes and 24 seconds, which is nothing for someone who had twice as much ice time on good evenings with EV Zug. "Sometimes", Brunner says, "I feel like they don't really know what I'm capable of around here." [comment by starfish: the meaning of the german sentence lies somewhere between this translation and the one you find at the start of the article]

You can't really tell whether that is a fact or not, but in any case it does seem like the Devils have little interest to change anything about these circumstances. Brunner is everything what this team isn't; as an artist he's struggling among a group in which the system stands above all. He's an individualist in a world of conformists. And his stats show it: In 16 games for the Devils he has 4 goals and three assists, and after a promising start he's gone without a point for eleven matches. Brunner says:"I'm somewhat lost right now. I got zero confidence. Last time I played that bad I was 22 years old and played for the Kloten Flyers."[starfish:another swiss national league organization]

That was a long time ago, Brunner played at stadion Schluefweg on the fourth line and his career seemed to be about to come to an end. Ever since, however, the goalgetters' star has been raising, without interruptions for five years. Now he's again in a situation when things don't go the way he'd like them to and has to find a way to cope with it. "If this really was my best hockey, I can just as well simply throw my skates away and do something else." But he still hasn't lost the certainty that everything will turn out to the better eventually.

Detroit is the past

After all he has already shown that he's of NHL caliber, in the shortened season when he played along superstars Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg and didn't leave a bad impression next to the two. Does he regret having declined Detroits' offer for two years and five million in June? The more so as he did fit in better with their system? Brunner gives a clear answer: "No." This decision was made and is a thing of the past. He'd rather do something positive in the present. If only New Jersey let him.

Good old "Bald patch" Lamoriello.

lou-lamoriello.2.jpg

Damien Brunner isn't good enough for the Devils to change their system for.  I'm sure he's frustrated, but he's got to be better in all zones.  

It's also easy to write this article for the Swiss because Brunner was the best forward in the Swiss league, but here he's just another guy.  I want to know where the Damien Brunner from the first 4 games went.

In addition, the same thing happened to Brunner last year - he was a minutes leader for the Wings and got on Babcock's bad side.

Edited by Triumph

Brunner had best tell this guy to shut his trap, or he'll be exiled out of this organization real quickly..

I like Brunner, and what he brings.  But no player is above the system.  This team doesn't have the firepower to play a rush style offense that he apparently desires.  Maybe create some more chances for yourself and not look completely invisible out there and you'll be awarded some more ice time.

I'll give Brunner the benefit of the doubt and assume some modesty has been lost in translation, but he better be real careful when dealing with Lou Lams.  He's far from superstar status; he's not in any sort of position to be requiring 20 minutes a game.

Edited by Devilsfan118

It's too bad we recruit a certain type of player and then try to force them into a role that they can't excel at. Sure they are professional hockey players and should be able to adapt, but why not play to their strengths, at least a little? Give him some freedom to be creative if it will help us win?

Also, if someone has the actual German link i'd like to read it, I can let you know if there is any "lost in translation" going on.

square-peg-round-hole.jpg

Edited by mrthemike

Damien Brunner isn't good enough for the Devils to change their system for.  I'm sure he's frustrated, but he's got to be better in all zones.  

It's also easy to write this article for the Swiss because Brunner was the best forward in the Swiss league, but here he's just another guy.  I want to know where the Damien Brunner from the first 4 games went.

In addition, the same thing happened to Brunner last year - he was a minutes leader for the Wings and got on Babcock's bad side.

agreed i feel like theyre trying to make him out to be more then what he is in that article. He isnt all that but part of the reason he looks lost lately is most likely due to not feeling as though hes fitting in and him being uncomfortable hes clearly lost his confidence.

It's too bad we recruit a certain type of player and then try to force them into a role that they can't excel at. Sure they are professional hockey players and should be able to adapt, but why not play to their strengths, at least a little? Give him some freedom to be creative if it will help us win?

If you did that for every player that comes in, then we would be worse then Buffalo and would look totally disorganized out there.  You need to figure out a system and stick with it.  That is usually dictated by the coach.  Brunner knew, or should have known, what the expectations are here in NJ.  As Tri said, you just don't change your systems to fit a player like Brunner.  He needs to adapt and learn to actually play a forecheck.  I don't think he's thrown a hit this entire season thus far. 

That's just not LL's style.  This team didn't cater to Ilya Kovalchuk - it most certainly won't to Brunner.  Maybe Brunner's agent should've done some research and advised his client of the Devils' style before letting him sign here..  :noclue:

That's just not LL's style.  This team didn't cater to Ilya Kovalchuk - it most certainly won't to Brunner.  Maybe Brunner's agent should've done some research and advised his client of the Devils' style before letting him sign here..  :noclue:

i feel like theres no way brunner really expects to be the big star here and have the style adjust to him as a player... hes just nothing special..not that the devils do that for anyone but brunner isnt some big star hes just another middle of the line forward..this article makes him sound like he has a huge head about himself

Brunner finished up the 2012-13 regular season with 2 goals and 8 assists over his last 25 games...with Detroit.  So what was his excuse there? 

Nothing against him, and I'm not going to kill him for any of this, as there's still time to turn it around again, but he should probably realize that he had to impress in a friggin' TRYOUT before someone was willing to give him a contract.  He should also realize that, in his last 41 regular season games with both the Devils AND the Red Wings, he's put up 6 goals and 11 assists.  Maybe in the NHL he's just not that big of an offense presence for consistent stretches, no matter what organization he plays for?

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Brunner really has gone MIA the past 10 games or so and there are some shifts it looks like he is just skating out there without a purpose.  If the translation is accurate then he is just whining and should have done his homework about the Devils.

Also to add that is a Swiss paper and he is probably one of, if not the biggest hockey star they have right now so of course they are going to inflate him in their paper.  Same deal with the Russian papers on Russian players.

Edited by DevsMan84

Brunner finished up the 2012-13 regular season with 2 goals and 8 assists over his last 25 games...with Detroit.  So what was his excuse there? 

Nothing against him, and I'm not going to kill him for any of this, as there's still time to turn it around again, but he should probably realize that he had to impress in a friggin' TRYOUT before someone was willing to give him a contract.  He should also realize that, in his last 41 regular season games with both the Devils AND the Red Wings, he's put up 6 goals and 11 assists.  Maybe in the NHL he's just not that big of an offense presence for consistent stretches, no matter what organization he plays for?

thats exactly what i was getting at..hes not all that by any means and the article makes it seem like he has a big head about himself (which no one is going to appreciate).. guy needs to realize he is NO better then anyone else on that team..figure out a way to fit into his role and work with the system thats it.

Stealing more from the aforementioned thread on hfboards:

You had the third least ice time in the 5:0 win against Nashville with 11 minutes
Yes. (thinks) What can I say? I have no confidence on the ice. I'm totally lost. The last time I played that bad was five years ago in Kloten as a 22 year old.

How did it come this far?
I had a great preparation. The first four games were great as well, I had the puck a lot and could create a lot of chances. Unfortunately, we lost those games anyway. And than it started. I received less and less ice time. The motto was "system! system! system!"

How's communication with your coach Peter DeBoer?
Very good. No problems there.

Have you been given a reason for the decrease of ice time?
No. But I see it myself: I'm totally lost sometimes. It's difficult for me not having a game rhythm. I'm at my best when I'm in the game, moving my legs and skating.

How do want the improve the situation?
I just have to work hard off the ice. An hour more in the gym. I'm already doing that to not lose my conditioning. I have to stay calm.

Staying calm isn't always easy
Sure. Of course it's frustrating. I have high expectations for myself

What's the feedback you get from the organization?
Interestingly, it's positive. I've been told I play well defensively, backchecking well. But I'm capable to do more than that. The good thing is: It's only been 16 out of 82 games. Who knows? Maybe I play bad for another 10 or even 20 games this season but I'll find my way back.

Are you afraid of losing your place for Sotchi?
You have to see it this way: On big ice, I'm a different player. I have no worries that I have diffuclties to adapt

Shouldn't you have stayed in Detroit
No, I made that decision. My brother told me and he is right: It's good, things don't always only get better. I've been in these situations before: at 14, 15, 17 years. I've hit several bumps on my way to the NHL. I don't think the current situation is a major low. I had to go through so much to get to the NHL. Now it's about willingness, persistency and to make the best of the current situation and about finding a way back.

From http://www.blick.ch/sport/eishockey/nhl/ich-bin-voellig-verloren-id2530242.html and translated by an hf member.

So he certainly sounds more modest here.  Blaming himself and not the organization.  I might've jumped on him a bit prematurely. 

Edited by Devilsfan118

Also, if someone has the actual German link i'd like to read it, I can let you know if there is any "lost in translation" going on.

I agree. Sure you can stay true to a system to a certain extent. But when you limit a players game and tell a professional to play a different way, is easy to lose potential

Stealing more from the aforementioned thread on hfboards:

From http://www.blick.ch/sport/eishockey/nhl/ich-bin-voellig-verloren-id2530242.html and translated by an hf member.

So he certainly sounds more modest here.  Blaming himself and not the organization.  I might've jumped on him a bit prematurely. 

That's why I'm not killing him...some of what he's saying might not be coming across right, but I get the impression he's just frustrated in general.  He seems to realize all he can do is work harder and try to improve. 

brunner and Larsson for yakupov. I like Brunner. I wish pete would go back to the preseason line of josefson-elias-brunner

Kind of hard to do that without Elias.

From what I remember, the Brunner from the first 4 games was playing with Patty. Soon after, Patty moved to Jagr's line and they both played well. If Jagr can continue to have success with Zubie and Zajac, perhaps Pete can afford to put Brunner back with Elias and find some more scoring whenever Patty is healthy.

It might be interesting to see how Brunner plays with Ryder and Henrique tonight, as they are the second line according to TG. There is certainly some finishing ability on that line if someone can distribute.

Interesting that he himself brought up the bigger ice issue... North American hockey is a different game where speed and finesse often take a back seat to physicality and grinding.

There is a place for guys like Brunner but they need to adapt and understand how to better fit their skills into the North American game.

I like Brunner a lot as a player. The thing is, Detroit doesn't play a wide open offensive system either. So I wonder why he'd struggle here but not there. A hard forechecking system like the Devils essentially negates speed.

he apparently struggled there also did you see his numbers that somone posted up on the first page they were pretty bad

"...where the decay of the old, strong and shiny United States has long begun.."

GO F YOURSELF SWISS BOY, (the author)

how about picking the puck up in our zone and getting it across the blueline kid?

how about not turning it over the second you get deep in the offensive zone and then not getting back, to back check

how about getting ryder some shots

imo he and ryder are not a good match, stick him with tedy and JJ and let them be "creative"  (HOW DANEROUS DOES THAT SOUND :0 )

Edited by EdgeControl

not trying to derail the thread, but the devils most certainly DID cater to Kovy. From the contract, to the 2 minute PP, to the double shifting, to never benching for stretches of tedenby like defensive play...the rules were different for Kovy.

Brunner has shown flashes since the first 4 games - he had two rushes in the Nashville game that didn't turn into anything. having the space and good linemates looks like an important part to brunner's game. he doesn't drive play himself but can compliment others quite well. putting him with bernier or ryder - guys that don't skate and don't pass particularly well isn't going to do him any favors. putting him with elias is what did (and likely will again) get the best out of him on the devils