• Nov 12
    • Dec 12
    • Jan 13
    • Feb 13
    • Mar 13
    • Apr 13
    • Oct 13
    • Never

@DarrenDreger: PA is finalizing details of its meeting participants today. NHL brass will include usual execs, owners and at least 1 general manager. #TSN I wonder if that GM is Lou. They brought Lou in in 2005 to participate in the talks, I'll bet he's been asked to get involved.

@DarrenDreger: PA is finalizing details of its meeting participants today. NHL brass will include usual execs, owners and at least 1 general manager. #TSN I wonder if that GM is Lou. They brought Lou in in 2005 to participate in the talks, I'll bet he's been asked to get involved.

It's supposed to be either Yzerman or Nieuwendyk. They want a former player in there to try and bridge the gap most likely.

Doug MacLean: Steve Yzerman and/or Joe Nieuwendyk will be the GM(s) in on tonight's meeting in New York. #Stars #Lightning @Sportsnet

— Hockey Central (@SNHockeyCentral)

November 19, 2012
Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

It's supposed to be either Yzerman or Nieuwendyk. They want a former player in there to try and bridge the gap most likely.

I remember they brought in Gretzky and Lemieux last time to try and save the season...still didn't work

No this is how it's really going to go:

NHL: Fine, we give in! The players can have everything they want. The only request we have is Lundqvist needs to wear smaller pads.

PA: What's wrong with Hanks pads?

NHL: Their too big of course.

PA: hmmmmmmm

NHL: So, sounds good?

PA: *pause* no......

NHL: Are you serious?

PA: Meeting is over, better go tell the media no progress was made.

NHL: *epic face palm*

This is how I imagine these talks going:

Burke will be there, but Yzerman will not be, per Dreger. @DarrenDreger: Leafs GM, Brian Burke will join the CBA talks tonight in New York. Maybe a dose of pugnacity or truculence will spark progress? @DarrenDreger: Steve Yzerman says he will not be involved in todays CBA talks.PA meets internally in roughly an hour. Full mtng will take place after that.

Supposedly they're meeting again tomorrow. About the best you could have hoped for, assuming there was no more name-calling in the meeting or someone doesn't blow up in a press conference tonight. The bar's set so low for these 'negotiations' I'm just relieved when they don't tear each other up.

@KatieStrangESPN: #CBA Negotiations done for the night, according to league. Should know more shortly...

@KatieStrangESPN: #CBA Large grp mtg was on player contracting rights. Fehr said league unwilling to engage on issue. Still good possibility they meet tmrw

Apparently the NHL requested a formal proposal from the NHLPA. And it seems clear over the last few days they 'are' willing to negotiate contract rights if the NHL takes a version of the linked 50-50. But Fehr doesn't seem to want to spend any effort negotiating at all. God forbid you decide to articulate what you want instead of constantly saying no, no, no all the time.

I'm glad the owners finally called Fehr out on his stalling tactics. If the PA doesn't make a proposal now after they've been publicly and privately asked to do so, they're going to look so bad and everyone'll know Fehr just wants to stall forever. And if they do make another de-linked proposal after it's clear that'll never be agreed to this year it basically has the same effect.

Eventually they're going to have to come with ideas of their own, they can't just wait for the NHL to make twenty proposals and hope the twentieth is capitulation. Unless their endgame is to stall forever, then somehow win in court after a full season out the way the MLBPA did during the '94-95 strike. That's what worries me, I really think Fehr knows he's not going to win at the negotiating table so he'll try to win in court again.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I'm glad the owners finally called Fehr out on his stalling tactics. If the PA doesn't make a proposal now after they've been publicly and privately asked to do so, they're going to look so bad and everyone'll know Fehr just wants to stall forever. And if they do make another de-linked proposal after it's clear that'll never be agreed to this year it basically has the same effect.

Eventually they're going to have to come with ideas of their own, they can't just wait for the NHL to make twenty proposals and hope the twentieth is capitulation. Unless their endgame is to stall forever, then somehow win in court after a full season out the way the MLBPA did during the '94-95 strike. That's what worries me, I really think Fehr knows he's not going to win at the negotiating table so he'll try to win in court again.

lol what. The NHLPA has barely even talked about decertification. Neither side has discussed mediation. Please tell me how Fehr is going to win this battle in court? You, and really everyone talking about the 1994 players strike, should go read up on it.

The NHLPA has not showed its hand because it recognizes that showing its hand means the NHL will take anything that's even remotely considered a concession, jam it all into its next offer, then take out anything the players deem a concession on the owners' part. That is how the NHL rolled last time and it's how the rhetoric is going this time. If the NHL gave even a little bit we'd probably have a deal.

lol what. The NHLPA has barely even talked about decertification. Neither side has discussed mediation. Please tell me how Fehr is going to win this battle in court? You, and really everyone talking about the 1994 players strike, should go read up on it.

The NHLPA has not showed its hand because it recognizes that showing its hand means the NHL will take anything that's even remotely considered a concession, jam it all into its next offer, then take out anything the players deem a concession on the owners' part. That is how the NHL rolled last time and it's how the rhetoric is going this time. If the NHL gave even a little bit we'd probably have a deal.

And the NHLPA isn't doing the same thing with anything the NHL concedes on, like the make whole package? I know you're pro player but eventually they'll have to negotiate if they want a deal in good faith. The players have been just as obstructionist if not more so than the owners since at least the owners made proposals. Both sides share the onus equally here, the players' deals (or HRR proposals since they aren't comprehensive deals) have been every bit as favorable to them as the owners proposals have been to them.

Eventually they need to get it through their thick skulls the other side isn't capitulating. Someone has to make the first move toward the center otherwise it'll never end. It's like a five year old's staring contest. A group of teenagers in Econ class could have negotiated a fair deal by now. This is all about ego now.

And the MLBPA kicked the owners butts in court for decades. It's supposed to be out of the realm that's their endgame here? That's what Fehr knows, winning in court, not real negotiations.

Edited by NJDevs4978

And the NHLPA isn't doing the same thing with anything the NHL concedes on, like the make whole package? I know you're pro player but eventually they'll have to negotiate if they want a deal in good faith. The players have been just as obstructionist if not more so than the owners since at least the owners made proposals.

The NHL wants huge givebacks on salary, and in addition to said givebacks, wants player concessions on contracts, free agency age, and pretty much anything else. It is offering virtually nothing in return.

Someone has to make the first move toward the center otherwise it'll never end. It's like a five year old's staring contest. A group of teenagers in Econ class could have negotiated a fair deal by now. This is all about ego now.

Right, as was the NBA lockout and NFL lockout I guess, because both were significantly longer. All about ego and not about, you know, millions upon millions of dollars. Ego. Gotcha.

And the MLBPA kicked the owners butts in court for decades. It's supposed to be out of the realm that's their endgame here? That's what Fehr knows, winning in court, not real negotiations.

You don't have any idea what you're talking about.

lol at the NFL lockout being 'longer' when the sum total of games missed was one lousy preseason game. And the NBA eventually started negotiating, and they don't have lead negotiators that shut down two sports. When does the negotiating - if ever - happen here? End of January?

lol at the NFL lockout being 'longer' when the sum total of games missed was one lousy preseason game. And the NBA eventually started negotiating, and they don't have lead negotiators that shut down two sports. When does the negotiating - if ever - happen here? End of January?

The NBA lockout ended right around now, and I expect the NHL lockout to end right around now. The NFL lockout lasted a long time, and part of the issue that both sides, but especially the players, realized that once they started missing any games it would become harder and harder to reach an agreement. The NHL, of course, intended to miss games unless they got 100% of what they wanted, which is why we're in this spot. If they could've gotten to 50/50 and Make Whole by September 10th, we might've had a season, but the NHL had no interest in that.

The NBA lockout ended right around now, and I expect the NHL lockout to end right around now. The NFL lockout lasted a long time, and part of the issue that both sides, but especially the players, realized that once they started missing any games it would become harder and harder to reach an agreement. The NHL, of course, intended to miss games unless they got 100% of what they wanted, which is why we're in this spot. If they could've gotten to 50/50 and Make Whole by September 10th, we might've had a season, but the NHL had no interest in that.

There's no way you're still optimistic

There's no way you're still optimistic

That's how these things work. They are supposed to look like they will lose a season. Both sides are trying to give out as many negative quotes as possible. And one day they wake up and start trading things and make a deal. This is how it went with the NBA last year. This entire thread will be surprised regardless of when the agreement comes.

That's how these things work. They are supposed to look like they will lose a season. Both sides are trying to give out as many negative quotes as possible. And one day they wake up and start trading things and make a deal. This is how it went with the NBA last year. This entire thread will be surprised regardless of when the agreement comes.

Do you think it gets done in this round of negotiations?

Do you think it gets done in this round of negotiations?

I certainly think it can. It depends on what the NHL is willing to give up. The point is surprises - surprises from the NHL side are good, because right now everyone (on the outside) thinks they will not give up anything.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.