• Nov 12
    • Dec 12
    • Jan 13
    • Feb 13
    • Mar 13
    • Apr 13
    • Oct 13
    • Never

This was about extortion from the very beginning. You're criticizing the NHLPA for trying to fight instead of giving in because you want to watch hockey so badly and don't care about the actual details of the agreement.

Not true, at least not the last part.

And the NHLPA wasn't merely trying to hold its ground (which was bad enough since everything other than the linked cap itself favored the players), they wanted total delinkage. That wasn't going to fly any more than the owners' first offer was. It's a negotiation, of course the first offer is going to be outrageously off. It was a huge PR blunder to make it that egregious though, cause it only galvanized the players more.

And let's face it, today's concessions did not come from Fehr, they came from the players who know its stupid to risk a whole season for delinkage. If the owners reject this deal out of hand without any real giveback I'll be right with you and Tri screaming about extortion. All I was asking for is someone to start negotiating and offer a real deal. Someone apparently did and we'll see what the response is.

Edited by NJDevs4978

NHLPA released its memo to its members

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=409992

Outlines the NHLPA proposal and includes the actual proposal at the end

Players' Share: A major move in the owners' direction by removing guarantees or fixed targets for Players' share.

Honouring Players' Contracts/Transition payments: Players' Share will equal 50 percent of HRR plus fixed payments in the first four years to partially honour player contracts and ease the transition to 50/50:

2012-13 - $182M

2013-14 - $128M

2014-15 - $72M

2015-16 - $11M

Total $393M

*The owners had previously proposed $211M

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

Apparently the cap isn't totally linked since there's a limit on what the cap can fall to....guess that's the catch.

Yeah

from

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=409992

The Upper Limit may not fall below 67.25 M in any year of the agreement. This is half way between the 11/12 Upper Limit (64.3 M) and the 12/13 UL (70.2 M).

Upper Limit = salary cap

Also

There are no guarantees or fixed targets, other than a requirement that, beginning with the second year of the Agreement, players' share, expressed in dollars, may not fall below its value for the prior season. This proposal allows us to determine players' share regardless of the effects of the lockout and its aftermath.

i.e. The players' payments can never get smaller.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

Both sides realize that it's in neither of their interests to completely alienate the fans, i.e. customers.

But they've done that. I am as into hockey and the Devils as anyone, but they've made me not care for the forseeable future...even if they announced a settlement tomorrow, I'm not going to be in "Thank God, now let's hit the ice!" mode. My hard feelings will dissipate over time, but it's going to take me a while to get past this one...yes, many will forgive and forget immediately, but I've got to think I'm not the only one who's had enough of this, just because.

NHL wont consider anything with guaranteed money, PA just asked for a form of gauranteed money with the cap to never decrease after year 2. They dont want their share to drop after year two, if the economy crashes or HRR decreases every year the NHL takes the full burden. This wont sit well with the league. But hopefully the REAL negotiations start now.

Edited by Zubie#8

@DarrenDreger: Players won't be happy with how the league is responding to proposal. No meaningful give-backs according to PA source."Disappointing day."

I am sick of these PR stunts. First the NHL with its 50-50 offer a month ago and now this offer. Players were hyping it up and info was being leaked to the media before the NHL commented on it. I am done with this, at least my wallet is getting heavier with every game lost.

Edited by Zubie#8

But they've done that. I am as into hockey and the Devils as anyone, but they've made me not care for the forseeable future...even if they announced a settlement tomorrow, I'm not going to be in "Thank God, now let's hit the ice!" mode. My hard feelings will dissipate over time, but it's going to take me a while to get past this one...yes, many will forgive and forget immediately, but I've got to think I'm not the only one who's had enough of this, just because.

You aren't the only one. I've been so uninterested and so disgusted with the players and owners that I really don't want to support either of them and I still may cancel my season tickets

The players are greedy and the owners are greedy. Who the hell would want to support either of them or try to defend either? They are both wrong and have made the NHL look like a laughing stock yet again.

Edited by Satans Hockey

. By the time your hard feelings dissipate, there will be another lockout. That's the NHL Way.

@ChrisBottaNHL: Bettman: "We're still far apart. But hopefully there's some momentum so we can bring this to a conclusion." Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS:

Gary Bettman:"their was some movement in our direction and it was appreciated." Well, that sounds good at least.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.