Random Thoughts & Stuff

sammyk

That part certainly sounds like my life.

You made the right choice with graduate school, regardless how it feels right now or how it will feel while you're there. You've been having a tough time finding a job as it is (a basic college degree is going to be worthless as a high school diploma soon, if it's not already), and with the economy as it is, you probably weren't finding a job to your liking in the near future anyway. By the time you're out of grad school, you'll have a more respectable degree in a field you like and better job prospects, whether the economy has rebounded or not - if it has, there will be jobs out there that need filling, and if it hasn't, you're better equipped than most for what jobs actually are out there.

Definitely untrue. It really depends on the major, and the job. If you want to do research, then sure. But for a lot of professions, a B.S. or B.A. is definitely enough.

I think quality of the undergrad degree also matters, at least for the first job(s) you get out of college.. A computer science undergrad from Carnegie Mellon is going to be a lot stronger than a computer science degree from Hofstra.. I mean there are so many colleges these days (and so many that really aren't very academically challenging) that it's just too easy to get a degree.. I go to The College of New Jersey and I mean we are considered a great school, but even last fall I didn't do much work (never studied or did supplemental work) and I pulled a 2.1 for the semester.. A 2.1 sucks but you only need a 2.0 to graduate so even at a school like TCNJ you can get a diploma without busting your ass.. That being said, I talk to kids I know who go to lesser schools and they get 3.0's without showing up to most of their classes or doing much work, so while I don't do much for TCNJ standards I guess it's still a lot compared to other schools..

So what I'm saying is.. an undergrad degree is getting easier to obtain, so to differentiate themselves and get the job over someone else people are going to grad school more often and the undergrad degree is becoming less of a plus and more of a basic expected requirement

Oh and I thought it was bad when I left home at 25...I feel better now. :P

im 28 and live with my grandmother, although this is the short story.

lived out of home since i was 20 until i was 27, sharing for the most part with friends or girlfriend.

i moved interstate from where i was living, approximately 1200 miles for you american folk.

moved in with my grandmother at 27 as she is right in close to the heart of the city (15 minutes by public transport, 3.5 million people in the city) so its great for going out, and close to everything.

ive also enrolled to go to uni starting in 4 weeks, and the campus is 15 minutes by walking.

so its a great location, cheap rent, and really is the best choice for while im studying.

Edited by newjerseydamo

You could but I'd have to stab you in the face repeatedly :P

Tim Burton set the Batman mythos back DECADES with his butchering of the Franchise!'

Now the current salvation of Batman... NOW you're talking a quality reboot

We should tie terrorists into Clockwork Orange chairs and make them watch the Burton films over and over... they'd be begging for waterboarding!!

When you reboot a product you still MUST respect the original in the process ... Burton took a Cleveland-sized steamer on them!

Bah! Burton's Batman movies were damn good. It's when Joel Sh!tmaker took over that the franchise died a gigantic technicolor death. Batman and Batman Returns are very, very good movies. Batman Forever sucks out loud and Batman And Robin is a giant pile of suck.

The current Batman reboot doesn't happen without Tim Burton, Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson reinventing the franchise.

Bah! Burton's Batman movies were damn good. It's when Joel Sh!tmaker took over that the franchise died a gigantic technicolor death. Batman and Batman Returns are very, very good movies. Batman Forever sucks out loud and Batman And Robin is a giant pile of suck.

The current Batman reboot doesn't happen without Tim Burton, Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson reinventing the franchise.

Noooooooo, they realllllllyyyyyyy weren't (and believe me I was reading the Bat-Comics at the time)... they took a bigger piss on the mythos of batman then a pissed off patron who needs to take a leak at 7-11 and the camel jockeys won't let you use the bathroom so you go by the dumpster (I almost speak from experience.... tonight.... :whistling: :whistling: )

the ONLY thing that saved that Batman movie was JACK... and I don't mean Daniels... I didn't have any of THAT tonight :P

Noooooooo, they realllllllyyyyyyy weren't (and believe me I was reading the Bat-Comics at the time)... they took a bigger piss on the mythos of batman then a pissed off patron who needs to take a leak at 7-11 and the camel jockeys won't let you use the bathroom so you go by the dumpster (I almost speak from experience.... tonight.... :whistling: :whistling: )

the ONLY thing that saved that Batman movie was JACK... and I don't mean Daniels... I didn't have any of THAT tonight :P

OK, I'll take the bait ... what was so bad about the Burton Batman movies?

OK, I'll take the bait ... what was so bad about the Burton Batman movies?

Well the first strike was the arrogant prick never bothering to read the damn comics before he did them (he admitted that with some level of pride... kinda like how I was annoyed at the Spider man 3 guy... why put Venom in the movie if you don't like the Villian at all!!??!)

Strike Two... the Joker does NOT NOT NOT NOT kill Thomas and Martha Wayne... it adds more to the insanity of the character to have it be some random dude (though the way they did it with Joe Chill and Ra's Ah Gul was a nice way to honor the original concept and still kept it feeling random until it was revealed)

Strike Three.... Michael Keaton... while he was ok as Bruce Wayne... ALL Bat-Fans know Bruce Wayne IS THE MASK and not the real character... it's the obsessed dude who went coo-coo cause mommy and daddy got popped in front of him

the first movie was almost manageable because of Mister Jack and his brilliance and obvious fun with the character, but what Heath Ledger did (Jack's Joker was more akin to the Ceasar Romero TV-Style Joker, wile Heath WAS the comics one)

and then we get into the Penguin and Catwoman :blink:

the Penguin was just some fat guy in a tuxedo (I know they changed that later :rant: and not some freak X-Men wanna be)

and just the whole way Catwoman was portrayed :puke:

Again the actors saved the 3rd movie... Tommy Lee Jones, Jim Carrey and Val Kilmer (better Bat then Cooney :argh: :argh: or Keaton), but still when the actors gotta save the story telling... it's a BAD sign for the movies

Tim Burton butchered Mars Attacks just as badly... Willie Wonka any one... YOU LOSE SIR!!!

his "vision" does not mix well with other people's art and he should stop fvcking with it and stick to his own stuff!

I think quality of the undergrad degree also matters, at least for the first job(s) you get out of college.. A computer science undergrad from Carnegie Mellon is going to be a lot stronger than a computer science degree from Hofstra.. I mean there are so many colleges these days (and so many that really aren't very academically challenging) that it's just too easy to get a degree.. I go to The College of New Jersey and I mean we are considered a great school, but even last fall I didn't do much work (never studied or did supplemental work) and I pulled a 2.1 for the semester.. A 2.1 sucks but you only need a 2.0 to graduate so even at a school like TCNJ you can get a diploma without busting your ass.. That being said, I talk to kids I know who go to lesser schools and they get 3.0's without showing up to most of their classes or doing much work, so while I don't do much for TCNJ standards I guess it's still a lot compared to other schools..

So what I'm saying is.. an undergrad degree is getting easier to obtain, so to differentiate themselves and get the job over someone else people are going to grad school more often and the undergrad degree is becoming less of a plus and more of a basic expected requirement

A 2.1 doesn't just suck, it's inexcusable (unless you were really sick, death in the family, etc). Of course you can get a diploma anywhere but do you think jobs don't look at your resume? GPA is even more important for grad schools than jobs. I suggest you start taking college seriously. What is your major?

Eh, that's all interpretation. What's the point of allowing someone to put their own spin on something if you don't want him changing anything? It's like if a band covers a song and it sounds exactly like the original, well, that's boring. You want an artist to put his own mark on it. Plus ... MICHELLE PFEIFFER IN A CATSUIT! Batman and Batman Returns had solid stories and very good acting. They're good covers, IMO. And again, without Burton taking it in the direction he took it, we don't have these masterpieces from Christopher Nolan. Instead, the lasting image of the franchise right now would be Adam West doing the Batusi. Whether or not you liked what Burton did, you've gotta hand it to him for that. His reboot saved the Bat from campy '60s purgatory.

There was nothing good about Batman Forever or Batman And Robin. They were just excuses to put as many big names as possible on a movie poster and make money. Bad stories, absolute butchering of the characters, terrible acting (the only thing worse than Tommy Lee Jones' acting as Two-Face was how bad the script destroyed the character) ... I could go on, but I'll let this do the talking for me:

As for the other movies, I thought Mars Attacks was hilarious. I'm in the minority on this one, but I thought Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory was a sh!t movie. Never got the appeal of it. From what I've heard, Charlie & The Chocolate Factory was supposedly more faithful to the book, but again that's just hearsay. I thought that movie sucked too.

Obviousy if you go to an Ivy that can help when it comes to finding a job out of college. Personally, I think that where you go to school doesn't matter as much as your connections and internship experience (well, at least for fields like mine - or rather my former field).

I don't mean to be rude or anything, but don't you want to try to work harder to get a higher GPA? I know some people just generally don't give a sh*t, but at least for me, it was a sense of accomplishment to get good grades and know I did my best. That might just be my personality though. I tend to want to do the best I possibly can no matter what I'm doing. (Whether it be PR or now... working at a daycare.) I guess I just have a hard time wrapping my head around the mentality of doing the least you need to do to get by.

Edited by LA03

Also, TCNJ is a good school but if you think your 2.1 is going to be comparable to a 3.0 at a 'lesser' school then you are very, very badly mistaken. And no, you didn't do 'much' for TCNJ standards, you didn't do anything for the standards, and it's not a 'lot' compared to anything. I know the mentality that TCNJ students have. Again, TCNJ is a good school, but if you're doing that badly don't assume that you'd automatically do better at the 'lesser' schools you speak of. I don't want to sound mean but you should really rethink your priorities...your degree means absolutely nothing if you're applying for a job where you have to list your gpa on your resume and it's hovering around a 2...

Also, TCNJ is a good school but if you think your 2.1 is going to be comparable to a 3.0 at a 'lesser' school then you are very, very badly mistaken. And no, you didn't do 'much' for TCNJ standards, you didn't do anything for the standards, and it's not a 'lot' compared to anything. I know the mentality that TCNJ students have. Again, TCNJ is a good school, but if you're doing that badly don't assume that you'd automatically do better at the 'lesser' schools you speak of. I don't want to sound mean but you should really rethink your priorities...your degree means absolutely nothing if you're applying for a job where you have to list your gpa on your resume and it's hovering around a 2...

Beyond anything else, the way that corporations screen resumes/applications right now, good luck getting through the front door with a GPA under 3 in most cases. It doesn't matter which school your degree is from. With a GPA at that level, getting that job you really want just got that much harder, and you are even more dependent on connections to get you face time with someone.

While The college of New Jersey is a good school, it is still one of many good schools out there, many of which feature class sizes as large as the entire TCNJ. More and more people are enrolling in University for undergrad degrees these days and they all dont go to low ranked schools. High ranked schools are having trouble keeping up with their own growing class sizes as well. The world is getting more competitive every day.

LAO3 to alleviate some of the nervousness about grad school. I just finished my first year(1 of 2) of my masters program. It was a big change of lifestyle to go back and I wasnt sure if i did the right thing rather than work for a few more years before making the jump. But right now its probably the best decisions I have ever made. To get out of school in your mid 20's, ill be 26 when I get out, is a huge advantage compared to those who waited to get the degree. The few years of pain now will pay dividends later on. To another of your concerns, my program is small, only 100 people. I moved away for school not knowing a soul, but going through the common experience of class gives you a great opportunity to make friends and create a good social life. What i know of my program, and friends who have done post grad degrees here and elsewhere, there is a definite bond that comes with it. New friends, parties, happy hours all exist in spades and is an experience all its own.

I have no idea what any of that is.

So is this some YouTube art form -- the remix? It's very interesting to say the least.

You know what sucks though, is it's creative -- but it's sedentary. It's like couch potato break dancing.

The computer is such a sedentary thing -- it's so accessible that it blows all former sedentary arts out of the water -- like reading, playing an acoustic musical instrument. No reason to play pick-up sports for fun -- it's kind of more cool to sit on your ass at home and play games and create stuff in a vacuum especially since you can send it all out there and get feedback from people who you dont know -- who you've invested nothing with so the risk to your ego is minimal... it's just such a strange thing when you think about it....

Edited by Pepperkorn